Vancouver logistics

Greetings,

First time sailing out of Vancouver and had a couple questions regarding transportation logistics to/from Canada Place.

My husband and I will be driving up from Washington the day before and parking at the YVR Long Term Lot. We are staying at the Pan Pacific to eliminate the need to venture down to P2 to drop off luggage. Due to my husband's mobility issues we would rather not take the Skytrain but instead take an Uber/Lyft from Templeton Station across from the long term lot to the Pan Pacific. My questions are:

Where exactly are the rideshare drivers allowed to drop you off at Canada Place, other than driving down to P2 parking garage? Where are they allowed to pick you up upon return to Canada Place? Is it easier to just take a cab back to the parking lot? I assume the cab rides are not a flat rate because it technically is not YVR proper?

Thank you 🙂 

I don't have answers for the drop off info but upon your return you might consider a ship transfer that would take your luggage the last night of the cruise and you wouldn't have to deal with it again until you get dropped off at the airport. If easier, you could then go get the car while your husband waited with the luggage at the terminal.

• Thanks 1

just asking, and I dont know if its offered, BUT, since you are driving up, why not pay for parking at Pan Pacific itself, instead of YVR?  I had read somewhere that there are 750 spaces available, for a fee for cruise passengers, and best to pre-book.  Seems easier the parking at airport, then getting an uber. Especially with mobility issues.  Just a thought

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

just asking, and I dont know if its offered, BUT, since you are driving up, why not pay for parking at Pan Pacific itself, instead of YVR?  I had read somewhere that there are 750 spaces available, for a fee for cruise passengers, and best to pre-book.  Seems easier the parking at airport, then getting an uber. Especially with mobility issues.  Just a thought

It is incredibly expensive for a 16 day cruise. About 1,000 CAD. Even with the favorable exchange rate to USD that very pricey 😱

15 hours ago, Nattyg1723 said:

It is incredibly expensive for a 16 day cruise. About 1,000 CAD. Even with the favorable exchange rate to USD that very pricey 😱

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 8:57 AM, Nattyg1723 said:

My husband and I will be driving up from Washington the day before and parking at the YVR Long Term Lot. We are staying at the Pan Pacific to eliminate the need to venture down to P2 to drop off luggage. Due to my husband's mobility issues we would rather not take the Skytrain but instead take an Uber/Lyft from Templeton Station across from the long term lot to the Pan Pacific. ...

I think that you might want to rethink the entire setup to be honest - even if there's a Disabled spot available in Long Term YVR parking, which are nearest the station, there's a bunch of bus loops and restricted roads (no stopping) around there. Uberlyfts are not going to enter the car park to pick you up - so you might have to schlep your bags quite a distance to find somewhere that is a legal pickup spot...

The basic concept of this longterm lot is that everyone uses SkyTrain - it's optimised for folks leaving their cars before a flight and not designed with pickups by vehicle in mind. Also, depending what DHs mobility issues are, if he needs an Accessible vehicle be aware that there are zero accessible Uberlyfts locally, they pay a fee rather than becoming compliant with the legal requirement of minimum % of accessible vehicles in the fleet (all taxi firms maintain ~17% of their fleet as Accessible vans which scooters or wheelchairs can be secured safely inside).

Considering you can afford the Pan Pacific, I would look at instead finding a cheaper hotel! All-in-all a night at the Accent Inn near YVR, plus parking at $40 a week on top of room rate, plus potentially $40 each way in a cab from the hotel to pier and the reverse post-cruise, will undoubtedly cost less than a night in the PP and long-term parking - heck, it might be cheaper than just the hotel given some of the horror stories about pricing this year!

Whether cab or rideshare, everyone drops at the same spot under the pier - which is where luggage drop is unless you arrive too early for it to have started. There are elevators, stairs, escalators for you to get up to Check-in level - and there should be porters around too, able to take bags right from the car, but worst-case you can shuttle your bags over to the drop point, it's not far at all.

Leaving again, rideshares do have to pick up down the street, maybe a couple of hundred yards extra walking compared to the cab pickup under the pier, so cabbing is definitely easier with even 'walking stick' level mobility issues that don't need a modified van.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martincath said:

I think that you might want to rethink the entire setup to be honest - even if there's a Disabled spot available in Long Term YVR parking, which are nearest the station, there's a bunch of bus loops and restricted roads (no stopping) around there. Uberlyfts are not going to enter the car park to pick you up - so you might have to schlep your bags quite a distance to find somewhere that is a legal pickup spot...

The basic concept of this longterm lot is that everyone uses SkyTrain - it's optimised for folks leaving their cars before a flight and not designed with pickups by vehicle in mind. Also, depending what DHs mobility issues are, if he needs an Accessible vehicle be aware that there are zero accessible Uberlyfts locally, they pay a fee rather than becoming compliant with the legal requirement of minimum % of accessible vehicles in the fleet (all taxi firms maintain ~17% of their fleet as Accessible vans which scooters or wheelchairs can be secured safely inside).

Considering you can afford the Pan Pacific, I would look at instead finding a cheaper hotel! All-in-all a night at the Accent Inn near YVR, plus parking at $40 a week on top of room rate, plus potentially $40 each way in a cab from the hotel to pier and the reverse post-cruise, will undoubtedly cost less than a night in the PP and long-term parking - heck, it might be cheaper than just the hotel given some of the horror stories about pricing this year!

Whether cab or rideshare, everyone drops at the same spot under the pier - which is where luggage drop is unless you arrive too early for it to have started. There are elevators, stairs, escalators for you to get up to Check-in level - and there should be porters around too, able to take bags right from the car, but worst-case you can shuttle your bags over to the drop point, it's not far at all.

Leaving again, rideshares do have to pick up down the street, maybe a couple of hundred yards extra walking compared to the cab pickup under the pier, so cabbing is definitely easier with even 'walking stick' level mobility issues that don't need a modified van.

Thank you! I was hoping you would see my post, you're definitely the Vancouver guru!