Ok moms, how much luggage are we talking????

RN7997

I have started packing and this will be our 1st cruise with our 2 sons. They are 6 and 8. My 6 year old is clumsy, we usually always have some sort of a mess at meals. Fine, but with vacation that means precautionary packing so I don't have topay a laundry bill. My luggage set came with 3 rolling pieces of luggage (large, med, small), plus I have a another 2 large suitcases and a rolling duffle bag. Looks like I will be checking6 bags, plus 2 carryons.

Is this typical or am I over packing??????

I can not predecide for myself, like I do for my kids, what I will wear each day. Frankly it will depend on many things. One being how much I ate the day before. HAHAHA!! I am not a big girl, but I seem to expand easier since having the kids. SO any advice on packing?????

Sounds about like what we took. Actually, my 8 year old just corrected me. They had a carry on and a suitcase, roll-a-board type. The rule was/is that if you bring it, collect it, or otherwise want it, you carry it. Mom is NOT a packmule and neither is Dad. Feel free to try to get your aunt to carry it (she came too) but she will just say "no" so carry it yourself. I am 100% capable of leaving Moose (6 year olds stuftie) in an airport and don't even try to test me on it.

My 6 year old is a walking ketchup stain. Can't eat one thing without it becoming decoration of some type. I brought enough clothes for each day and then a couple nice outfits and knew I might have to bite the bullet and do laundry. I did. We had a couple days at Disney before the cruise and I did laundry but it only took a little while so I live through it. I also sent out the evening stuff onboard but it was worth it.

So, in answer to your question. Use their backpacks for school and make them responsible. It works great!

Okay, we are going on a five day cruise, which I'm sure makes a little difference. However, I am packing me, DH and our two DS's (3 and 7) in one large suitcase and a garment bag. And we're packing 'entertainment' for the plane ride in my son's small roller bag (for overnights at Grandmas) which we will carry on. That's it. My boys will probably have spills and stains as well - I'm just not going to change their shirts/pants every time they do!

But I am very much a minimalist in many things. KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) is my mantra! ;)

As the luggage starts to add up, I always console myself that, although it's an enormous amount for 2 adults to deal with (me and DH), we've actually packed for 4 people! We could, theoretically, check 8 bags and carry on 4!! LOL

You didn't say what cruise line you're going on but I can tell you that Carnival has laundry rooms -- not that you want to do laundry on vacation (I never do).

Sounds like the number of bags you are taking is in line with what we take (and we do NOT pack light).

I'd rather have more than I need (esp for the kids) than not enough. Just had to train them that if they wore a t-shirt for one hour and didn't spill, sweat or dirty it, they can fold it and wear it to the beach the next day (or hand to you to fold, rather than crumple and put under the bed!).

FYI - my kids are now 10 and 13, have cruised every year since they were 7 and 10. The luggage situation has gotten worse (because their clothes are bigger and my daughter likes variety like I do!).

I'm with you on this topic! My entire family jokes about how mcuh I pack, but when traveling with kids, I figure it is easier to bring stuff to the airport and check it than to not have it if I need it! Now, I have found that I don't use some of the stuff I bring, but what did it really hurt?

As I am planning for our upcoming cruise in May with me, DH, DS (9) and DS (18 mo), I figure that we will bring 3 large rolling suitcases, a Pack n Play, a garment bag, stroller, backpack for older son and diaper bag for youngest. In my defense, we are going for a wedding and it seems to have added to my list since I am the matron of honor, my husband is a groomsman, and my oldest is the ring bearer.

Hi All -

After reading all the comments, I just had to add mine. We are leaving for an 8 night cruise in 4 weeks. There will be five of us. As the packing for my 15 & 18 yr olds is out of my hands, I will concentrate on my 6 yr old daughter's packing. I am packing 3 outfits per day, 1 casual, 1 for swimming excursions and 1 for the dining room. As my husband nags me about this, my one thought is who is going to be in the laundry room doing laundry on their vacation? I can guarantee you it won't be DH, so I'm all for overpacking!!

Everyone have a great trip!

Tracy

We are three...myself Dh and dd 13..i started putting out the luggage yesterday ..and we have nine checked and two carry on:eek: I will probably do a little laundrey..underthings, bathing suits and favorite items..but I do not want to be stuck in there all of the time...I just hope we have enough room to stash the cases and garment bags..oh well...we have one entire suitcase full of shoes..mostly mine....cheers!:D We leave Sat 4-1 on the Sapphire..to Mexico...

Our kids are 5 & 2, we do ok on checked bags two for the 4 of us (I split everyones clothes between the two just in case one bag goes AWOL). We adds up for us is carry-on's. We bring a small roller with clothes, toiletries, & medication; my rolling breif case with laptop, travel docs, & books; diaper bag for the 2yo, backpack for the 5yo; camcorder bag, two strollers; & two car seats. While that is stil only two items/ person, when you have two people who cannot pull their own weight it adds up for DW & I and getting through security is so much fun with everything.

I look foward to our next trip with DD pulls her own weight.

I'm a minimal packer. For myself, I find it easier to pack clothes that can be worn more than once and mix and match. I like to stay within a certain color scheme too. For example: black, white & tan. I accessorize with color to punch it up a bit. I also don't go overboard with shoes. 1 pair sneaks, 2-3 pairs sandals. All must be comfy and already worn. Nothing worse than breaking in a new pair of shoes on vacation. :( 2 bathing suits.

For the girls, I found that I packed way too much. They would put a bathing suit on in the morning under shorts and a tee. They rarely changed until dinner time. (Of course they are not toddlers who wear more food then the actually eat LOL) Found we brought home at least one suitcase filled with unworn clothes. :eek:

DH was easy. 4 Collared shirts, 2 pair Dockers, 3 pairs shorts, 7 tees, 2 bathing suits.

1 formal outfit for each of us. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to my upcomming NCL cruise!!! NO FORMAL WEAR NECESSARY!!!

1 large suitcase, 3 medium, 1 small. Each of us had 1 carryon. WAY TOO MUCH. I'm trimming it down next time for sure!

~Connie

I'm a minimal packer. :rolleyes: /quote]

Me too, Connie! I'm SOOOO glad to be past the pack-a-ton-of-stuff-for-baby stage, with DD now going on 8. If not on budget... pack more money and buy T-shirts and shorts if needed, or use the ship's cleaning service! If on budget...re-adjust concept of "you can't wear that, it's dirty" DD will happily wear the stuff smudged with ketchup till time to dress up for dinner.

To cut down on clothes for myself, DH and DD (14m at next cruise) I will lay out outfits for day and evening. That helps so much. On our last cruise my DH and I only had three items of clothing not worn. My DD on the other hand had TONS of clothes not worn at all. I found that I overpacked for her so much -- but in my defense baby clothes are just so cute :rolleyes: . This cruise I will not be packing as much for her and will try to restrain myself, as tough as that may be...

Last cruise we managed an umbrella stoller, 1 carry-on, 1 diaper bag and three 24" upright suitcases. I didn't think I did too bad, but it seemed like a ton of luggage, especially since my husband and I tend to travel light. The hardest part is that darn third suitcase and pushing a stroller at the same time. I'm sure at times we make quite a sight!

This cruise we are leaving after attending a company convention so I'll have to pack even more, including my laptop. Luckily we are driving to FL and will have our car to keep the extra suitcase of items we will not be taking on the cruise that we needed for convention.

I have two boys (8 and 13). I match 5 bathing suits with 5 t-shirts and put them in gallon size baggies. When the bathing suits are wet they can go back in the baggies. I pack a few pair of shorts, 3 pair of pants and 4 shirts and undies and the boys are packed. We leave tomorrow morning for a Princess cruise out of Puerto Rico. We are taking 4 suitcases and 2 carry ons. Deltas weight limit is 50 lbs each, so that makes things tricky. The thing I have the biggest problem with on a cruise is what to do with the dirty clothes. I took a folding mesh hamper one year and it filled up quickly. Any suggestions out there?

Jill on our cruise last week I took the new XXLarge ziploc bags. They take up no space empty in your suitcase but hold more than a suitcase full of clothes. Once you're ready to go just squeeze all the air out of the bag of dirty clothes, zip it and stick in your suitcase. I've seen them at Walmart.

Myself, DH, DS (11) and DD (6) are taking an 8 night cruise in 12 days, not that I'm counting or anything. I have packed 1 medium suitcase per person, 2 garment bags, and 1 small duffle. Each person will also have a backpack. The kids are responsible for carrying their backpacks, and pulling their own medium suitcase. DH and I will wrangle everything else.

DH thinks I have gone overboard. I think he's nuts. His shoes take up more space than pretty much anything else, anyway.

So I told him that on the NEXT cruise he will be responsible for packing for everyone, and we will whine at him if he forgets anything.

IBoz: That is so funny! I have the same situation with DH. Insists I overpack, then can't live without: water sandals, boat shoes, dress shoes and tennis shoes (he insists he's going to work out - yeah, that happens!) He's a 13EEE. So, for every pair of his shoes, I can easily bring two of mine, or three or four of the kids!

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I have cut way down with luggage as my kids have gotten older. Last Feb I took for 8 days(7 day cruise), I rolling garment, 2 suitcases, 1 carryon shared by both kids, 1 tote for me(was carryon and purse), nad my dh took a camcorder bag. That was it. We all wear bathing suits all day. We do mix and match at night. We take a pair of shoes each for dinner. We all take a pair of flip flops for beach and ship. My kids and I take a pair of sneakers which they also travel in. My dh wears dockers/boat shoes to travel in. I also took less tshirts as we always buy some at ports/ship. They just wore those.

This year we are doing a 5 day. I am thinking 1 large suitcase as there is no weight limit as we are driving and 1 rolling garment bag. I will take my tote, kids will have a carryon for car ride, and dh may or may not take camcorder/camera bag.

We are a family of 4 (kids 4 and 9) going on a 7 night cruise. My goal is one carry-on and backpack for each of us so we don't have to check anything on the way. I don't care about having to check bags on the return trip; we always bring back more than we take, and we'll probably have to hand carry the rum and tequila we'll bring back.

I guess we are minimalists as we each have 1 swimsuit, 1 pair sandals, and 1 pair of sneakers/walking shoes. I don't mind doing a little laundry. We aren't doing formal nights, so that helps with packing.

• 1 month later...

My parents are telling me that i am not aloud to bring every little thing (ex. i use 4 hair brushes to get ready,im now bringing one. I change clothes 6 times a day, now i am changing two maybe 3 times....im 16...lol) we are trying for 1 suitcase (large) and one carry-on each.

Archived