Drinks Package Prices at Xmas/New Year

stuart2468

Are the times when the drinks packages cost more. Specifically xmas & new years and in the med. I'm looking to book a cruise where the cruise only is a good price, but drinks included price has the fare at 3 times the base amount. So is it better to add the drinks package after booking? Will it be the regualar price or is it massively increased due to the holidays sailings?

If thats the case, then i'll drink as i go.

If you are in UK, Usually the drinks package is cheaper to add with your booking and it is usually around £35 per day. For a Xmas 2024 Cruise from Barcelona it is Currently £40 per day, so it does increase slightly for a Holiday sailing.

If you add after booking it will be conciderably higher.

24 minutes ago, clarky213 said:

If you are in UK, Usually the drinks package is cheaper to add with your booking and it is usually around £35 per day. For a Xmas 2024 Cruise from Barcelona it is Currently £40 per day, so it does increase slightly for a Holiday sailing.

If you add after booking it will be conciderably higher.

For the sailing I'm looking at it is about £85pppn. That certainly isnt value for me and what i will likely drink.

15 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

For the sailing I'm looking at it is about £85pppn. That certainly isnt value for me and what i will likely drink.

Wow, that is high. Is that through a TA? I know there are some UK TA's that charge the onboard price.

Which sailing is this for?

3 minutes ago, clarky213 said:

Wow, that is high. Is that through a TA? I know there are some UK TA's that charge the onboard price.

Which sailing is this for?

MSC Fantasia departing 30/12/24. I actually calculated the drinks package wrongly and its actually £128pppn. Which is shocking. No way would i pay £900 more for a drinks package.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

MSC Fantasia departing 30/12/24. I actually calculated the drinks package wrongly and its actually £128pppn. Which is shocking. No way would i pay £900 more for a drinks package.

They must be expecting you to drink a lot at that price.

Same cruise on 2nd dec is £35 pppn.

Interestingly, if you board the same cruise at either of the 2 previous ports it is only 35/42 pppn.

I would call MSC and see if the price is a mistake, otherwise I would definately be paying as I go.

Edited by clarky213

Looking at this further, it is not the drinks package that is increased, they have massively discounted the package without the drinks. from £1009 to £409. The original price difference was only £300, so £42 pppn.

For someone that doesn't drink, this is a very cheap cruise especially over the new year holiday.

13 minutes ago, clarky213 said:

Looking at this further, it is not the drinks package that is increased, they have massively discounted the package without the drinks. from £1009 to £409. The original price difference was only £300, so £42 pppn.

For someone that doesn't drink, this is a very cheap cruise especially over the new year holiday.

Exactly why it is looking appealing to me. I think i'll book the base fare anyhow. And im thinking i'll add the drinks package to my booking via my MSC account. I can't imagine it will be £900 at that point.

6 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

Exactly why it is looking appealing to me. I think i'll book the base fare anyhow. And im thinking i'll add the drinks package to my booking via my MSC account. I can't imagine it will be £900 at that point.

That will be interesting to see the price after booking. From experience, my only MSC Cruise was £30pppn when I booked, but to add after was around £65 pppn. Once onboard, it was £85 pppn.

Just now, clarky213 said:

That will be interesting to see the price after booking. From experience, my only MSC Cruise was £30pppn when I booked, but to add after was around £65 pppn. Once onboard, it was £85 pppn.

Yeah, even at £65 i'm not sure i'd drink enough to justify. I'll report back if i do indeed book

2 hours ago, clarky213 said:

It looks to me like someone at MSC UK typed in the wrong price for the fare without drinks.   If you want to take advantage I would recommend booking sooner rather than later.  

13 hours ago, 8420PR said:

It looks to me like someone at MSC UK typed in the wrong price for the fare without drinks.   If you want to take advantage I would recommend booking sooner rather than later.  

I don't think its an error as all levels of rooms are discounted, a suite is only £1,009.

Well I've booked. Absolute bargain. Cannot wait. 

I've checked the drinks package in my booking and it works out to £64pp. I may book, But i also may jsut enjoy the cruise alcohol free. We'll see.

• Like 1