The Key or not to Key

As others have mentioned, when The Key is close to the daily Internet price, then it can be worth it.

To avoid the crush at embarkation, you can take the more casual route and roll up to the terminal later in the afternoon. If Embarkation starts at 11:30, show up at 1:30 or 2pm so the initial crush has gotten onto the ship. I don't see the ship, but you usually have options besides just the windjammer, such as Park Cafe on an Oasis Class ship. That's usually my embarkation day lunch on those ships to avoid the buffet rush. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 11:39 AM, Bahbey said:

I will be on a 3-night cruise solo.  Am a senior who can't really stand for long or walk long distances. Is the MDR open on embarkation for lunch, and breakfast on the last day?  Have been thinking about getting The Key just so I can avoid the long lines/crowds on first day/last at Windjammer, etc.  The Key would provide both.  Thanks for any input!

Do you require internet service?  That makes a difference in the decision.

I never use the internet while on board, so it's an easy decision for me.

Edited by time4u2go

The comments below in bold are my personal comments on the Key benefits and their worth to me.

Here's the list of The Key benefits:

• Priority access during The Key designated arrival time (to be communicated via email). Other benefits may apply at specific ports.*  The same can usually be achieved if you make note of check-in day and try to get one of the earliest time slots. Once the Key is called generally boarding starts right after....I am always boarding no more than just a few minutes after Key people boarded.
  • Carry-on bag drop off with delivery to your stateroom. **  If that is important to you. Staterooms open at 1 and I usually never have more than a backpack or at most a very small rolling suitcase and never found it an issue to just hold onto it till rooms are ready at 1pm.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring The Key signature menu.*** I usually sail ships with Park Cafe or Cafe 270 and have never found them busy when they open at 11am. If I wanted a special lunch I would just purchase specialty dining for embarkation day.
  • Access to the fast lane at onboard activities (activities vary by ship)and private time at the Flowrider*. These times are usually only available during odd times....like port days or early in the morning or evening.
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore. Honesty can't even remember the last tender port I was at...none of the BIG ships tender 
  • Dedicated seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater, Studio B, and Two70.**** This can and cant work. Often times the reserved seating isn't in the best locations...like up in the balcony. Some shows it does offer a decent spot but not for all shows and you still need reservations for reserve only shows. 
  • VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 of Device high speed internet per person who purchases the package. You have to cost factor how much internet will cost you verse the cost of purchasing The Key. 
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive á la carte breakfast and choice departure. In over 50 cruises I think I have only actually sat down for breakfast maybe only a handful of times. I have usually been able to get the departure time I want by simply telling my room steward if I want early luggage tags or late luggage tags.
  • Like 1

I'll let you know in about 10 days.

I will say, my call to confirm my special needs went really well today - not sure if it's b/c I did buy the Key or if it's always that nice and helpful (b/c it's my 1st cruise with allergies as they are adult onset).  

I am most interested to see how embarkation lunch goes with the Key and multiple known food allergies.

35 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I am most interested to see how embarkation lunch goes with the Key and multiple known food allergies.

The Key is going to make absolutely no difference in this respect. It wouldn't be any different than if you booked special dining lunch for embarkation day. You let the waiter know if you have any food allergy's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

The Key is going to make absolutely no difference in this respect. It wouldn't be any different than if you booked special dining lunch for embarkation day. You let the waiter know if you have any food allergy's.

Right - I was paying for embarkation lunch either way (b/c WJ would be a disaster for allergies on the 1st lunch - way too much of a crush of people to handle any special needs), but now my exact location, needs, and time are known.  It's probably the safest way to eat the 1st meal.  But we'll see.  I'm hoping for a dessert b/c the menu doesn't have one I can eat - if I get one, I'll be thrilled.  If not, my teen boys will happily eat 2.

• Like 1