Great Video of Star Princess Condition

RWKY

I am attaching a video clip from a news show that interviewed a fire chief who was on the Star during the fire - this is the best info I have seen yet on the fire and the condition of the ship. When you click the link you will need to click the watch video above the photo the the star (right hand side).

Having cruise a lot and currently booked on the 12/16/06 Star voyage, I can only say Great Job Princess Staff! I think they are handling this event well and will be able to give all future cruise passengers a full breakdown of events for you by Monday (3 days after the fire). This is pretty good.

I sincerely doubt, fiven the footage on the attached clip, the ship will be cruising until sometime this summer.

Copy and paste this link into your browser.....

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=94317

After watching that news chip now it really has me wondering what is going on. My husband works on commercial fire protection for a living and he told me that if the interior got so hot as to buckle floors, doors and ceilings, then the sprinklers definitely should have gone off, fire doors should have closed and alarms should have sounded.

So far, I have not read one report of any of this happening until the alarms were sounded many minutes after the fire broke out, which almost sounded like they were set off manually.

If this IS the case, and I have not missed something, there definitely will be more of an investigation into this fire then most can imagine.

Thanks for the link, it was the first time I had seen interior pictures of the ship since the fire.

That footage was shown over on the thread called Technical Discussion". I have learned alot from that thread in regards to fire safety etc. Some of the posters are in firefighting positions.It is a very interesting thread.

Marilyn

The most detailed video I have seen so far was on KUSA-TV, Denver channel 9 saturday night at about 10:10. Video was of inside one of the burned out rooms, and of balcony areas. If I remember right the video was obtained from a Denver area resident returning home that day.

If there any one one out there who happened to record this? I could not find a link to the report on KUSA's web site.

I sent some e-mail to the the TV station asking if they have a link to this report, or if they planning on airing it again.

If the person who took this video happens to read posts on this list, or is a member, maybe they would be kind enough to share it?

Two thoughts to think about. 1) There was enough time and warning to get ALL passengers safely out of the burned area so it wasn't a 10-second fire. 2) According to reports, it started out on the balconies where the winds were probably very strong (the ship was under way) and at 3:00 in the morning. Any flame, big or small, would have whip into an inferno as long as it had something to burn and who knows how long before someone saw it. Question - Are there sprinklers and smoke detectors on the balconies??

Just some thoughts.

So if the fire doors would have closed, does that mean people would have been trapped in those corridors?

Short answer, no. Fire Screen Doors (FSDs) are large metal doors located throughout the ship to prevent the spread of smoke and fire. They are held open by electric magnets (some are sliding doors) and can all be closed by the push of a button on the bridge. They can also be closed locally by activating a small switch which is located on the wall near the top of the door where it is being held open (normal operating position for the door).

These doors have a handle (doorknob) that allows you to open the door to pass through when it is closed. They do not lock. Be forewarned, however; they are heavier than the avergae door and will close behind you when you let go (because they have a self-closer on them).

You can see these doors all over the ship - they are usually decorated like the surrounding area so they blend in. You will see them at stairtowers and elevator lobbies, at the entrances of public rooms, and at periodic intervals along long cabin corridors.

Another poster mentioned the delay in the alarm. When you activate a local fire alarm station (or call 911, or a smoke detector or sprinkler is activated), the general alarm does not sound. The alarm sounds on the bridge (and usually the engine room and safety control room, if there is one). A crew member is immediately dispatched to check it out and report back. Based on his report to the bridge, nothing happens (there are problably several false alarms every week on a typical cruise ship!), the crew alert is sounded, or the general emergency signal (for all passengers) is sounded. It all depends. Certainly in the case of the Star Princess, the crew alert and general emergency signals were sounded.

Archived