Anyone else scheduled for June 4 Galapagos?

Babo02

We now have our flights to Quito confirmed via Continental Airlines and I'm getting more and more excited. Amazing when you consider that this is the "trip of a lifetime" that my husband picked. Mine was to see Paris, France and we've already done that, but I'm also looking forward to getting up close and personal with a Blue Footed Booby.

We have purchased the 10 day package so will actually be flying into Quito on June 2. My only concern is that I have a sulfa allergy and so would be unable to take medication for altitude sickness. I'm expecting that all will be fine though.:)

Hi Babo,

My husband and I are going on the ten-day trip just prior to yours. We are really excited about the trip too and understand about fulfilling lifelong dreams. We fulfilled one of DH's dreams--whitewater rafting through the Grand Canyon a few years ago. I'm looking forward to having both nice accommodations aboard Xpedition and more natural wonders on this trip.

The Xpedition travellers who have gone before have made so many helpful posts and have been wonderful about answering questions. I noticed that you made some queries about vaccines and medications. What have you decided to do about Hep A shots and about taking other medical precautions?

Thanks, Emma

Hi Emma,

My husband and I have both received 2/3 of the Hep A & B shots. The third one is five months after the second so we will have returned by then but we'll have some protection. We also have updated our tenanus shots. I'm waffling over the malaria pills because the CDC website says that there is no fear of malaria in Quito, Guayaquil or Galapagos but I'm concerned because there have been outbreaks of malaria in places like the Dominican Republic, and I just want us to be safe. We're also taking antibiotics with us as well just in case we pick up something else. I normally take far more than we need in the way of preventative meds whenever we travel because I find if I have it then we don't need it. What have you done in this area?

Can't wait to do this trip, it will be so exciting.

Babo

Archived