UPDATE: Request to disembark one day early in Valparaiso

Good news: got a call from tellus@viking.  Very pleasant rep said this would be doable and that others have done it.  Ship staff handle immigration and we just had to set up a time that we wanted to leave.  She did have to send it to another department to get written approval and said that could take a week or two.

Bad news:  Since we already had our flights booked I took a look at availability for same flights one day earlier.  Well, flights available but the fares had gone up considerably-about $2000.00 more for the two of us.  I didn't want to change until I had written confirmation from Viking which could see another jump in fares, plus, we don't want to take a chance on loosing our premium seats, so sadly declined Vikings offer.

Good news, and final arrangements:  We like the excursion that Dreamer suggested. It will end around 4pm which still leaves us 8 hours until our flight departs so we have arranged for them to drop us at one of the airport hotels where we will have a room booked.  We can rest, shower, eat for about 4-5 hours and then have their shuttle take us to the airport, to arrive 3 hours before our flights.  Then ALL we will have is an 11 hour flight, 3 hour flight and 2 hour drive home! 

Also, FYI, 20 years ago we had very late flights from Tahiti on a overnight in port cruise.  Princess let us stay on the ship until time to leave for the airport. Of course we had to vacate our cabin but then could use all the facilities on the ship until time to go.  During the day new passengers began to board.  Worked out well. 

I was starting to think we were asking too much/being unreasonable (I do know Viking is not a bus station.) so lesson is, it never hurts to ask.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Well, flights available but the fares had gone up considerably-about $2000.00 more for the two of us.  I didn't want to change until I had written confirmation from Viking which could see another jump in fares, plus, we don't want to take a chance on loosing our premium seats, so sadly declined Vikings offer.

Unless you happened to price the same flight itinerary for a day prior at your time of booking, it's difficult to say. Any number of factors could account for that price discrepancy.

I remember when I had to fly to Quebec to meet the ship. Arriving the same day as embarkation was about $400 more than arriving one day prior. So.... what did I do?

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

Unless you happened to price the same flight itinerary for a day prior at your time of booking, it's difficult to say. Any number of factors could account for that price discrepancy.

Who knows.  I did just go in to double check myself  and look at our original flights and they come up almost $1400 more.  Still too much difference and we don't want to take the chance of not getting the premium seats as they are limited.  That's actually more important for an almost 11 hour flight at our age. We're happy enough with the final plan not to take the chance.  Definately should have thought of checking with Viking before we booked the flights.  

• Like 1

Glad you got your answer and when in doubt, always use tellus@vikingcruises.com

You are more likely to get an answer you can count on at this email address over reservations on the phone.