Snorkeling with a Mustache?

I Luv Crusin

My DH has a beard and mustache. He's threatening to shave before our cruise and I'd rather him not! Previously when he's snorkeled with his mustache he had a hard time getting a good seal with his mask. What can he do? thanks

Hi,

I have a short beard and mustache and snorkel and dive all the time. The secret is to have a mask that fits well. If you go with the "generic" mask they give out on the boat when you go on a snorkel cruise they're small, little skirt around the lenses and usually getting close to brittle. I recommend getting his own mask and making sure it is a good fit. In addition, there are some other things you can do. You can trim about 1/32 to 1/16 inch below the nose and at the top of the mustache. It's not really noticeable and will allow the lower part of the mask to seal better. In addition, you can take just a small amount of vaseline, or even chapstick and "wax" the top of his mustache or beard that may get under the mask to help seal the hairs. In most cases a mustache or beard won't interfer with a mask as it mainly covers the eyes and nose.

Hope this helped,

Randall

several of my dive buddies have mustaches and do as scubaran suggests. Just trim a bit under the nose and get a good quality, properly fitting mask and he should be fine. Also, be sure to properly clean the glass on the mask before the first use. Just take a bit of toothpaste and rub it into the glass like you were polishing the glass, which you are doing. That will remove the silicon residue from the manufacturing process.

I've been diving with hair on my upper lip for more than 20 years. I find that the vaseline trick is less effective than 1) a well fitted mask and 2) trimming under my nose - in that order. How far down to trim depends on the mask fit. Have him look in the mirror with the mask on an judge it from there. (you're not allowed to laugh at him:D ) I would suggest he start the trim habit a couple of weeks or more before you go. Its amazing how tender that skin is when it hasn't been shaved for a while and a shaving rash under a mask skirt hurts!

I've been diving with hair on my upper lip for more than 20 years. I find that the vaseline trick is less effective than 1) a well fitted mask and 2) trimming under my nose - in that order. How far down to trim depends on the mask fit. Have him look in the mirror with the mask on an judge it from there. (you're not allowed to laugh at him:D ) I would suggest he start the trim habit a couple of weeks or more before you go. Its amazing how tender that skin is when it hasn't been shaved for a while and a shaving rash under a mask skirt hurts!

Opps, too late. We leave Saturday! I'll tell him about trimming. We bought our own gear at Costco, US Diver I think. It works pretty well for snorkeling once a year or so!

Opps, too late. We leave Saturday! I'll tell him about trimming. We bought our own gear at Costco, US Diver I think. It works pretty well for snorkeling once a year or so!

Hi,

Then I'm sure he'll be fine. Just be aware that if he "duck dives" down into the water to check something out that the additional pressure can cause minor leaks that will be resolved when he gets back to the surface. Have a great time and hope you get to see a lot. BTW, if you want a primer on the type of fish you might see, I have a website of underwater pictures I took and I've really researched names. They're almost all from the Carribean as well so you can show off to your friends and say, "Did you see that {fill in the blank}? It was a juvenile by the looks of it." My website is http://www.randallgamby.com (no spam or ads allowed)

Hope you enjoy,

Randall

• 8 years later...

Thanks for posting this question! I've grown a (gorgeous) beard and mustache over the last year and I certainly don't want to shave it so that I can snorkel a few times on my upcoming cruise.

I am sort of horrified by the idea of trimming a little of my mustache (thinking it would look weird). But, I honestly haven't tried on my traditional mask to even see how it fits now that I've grown this bushy thing on my lip.

Because of another recommendation I bought an Aqua Sphere Seal 2.0 mask and a good nose clip just in case the mask doesn't fit. Though, now that I think about it...it will be impossible to equalize the mask pressure if I dive even just a few feet.

Well, I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Thanks for posting this question! I've grown a (gorgeous) beard and mustache over the last year and I certainly don't want to shave it so that I can snorkel a few times on my upcoming cruise.

I am sort of horrified by the idea of trimming a little of my mustache (thinking it would look weird). But, I honestly haven't tried on my traditional mask to even see how it fits now that I've grown this bushy thing on my lip.

Because of another recommendation I bought an Aqua Sphere Seal 2.0 mask and a good nose clip just in case the mask doesn't fit. Though, now that I think about it...it will be impossible to equalize the mask pressure if I dive even just a few feet.

Well, I guess I'll just have to experiment.

I trim just a very small amount of area between nose and "stash" but I think that more have an issue with when they labor getting to the snorkel area or just from being in a strange environment they make faces that allow water in through the creases in their cheeks. The trick to it is to just relax and be aware of keeping your face relaxed. No:D No:( No:cool: No:eek: