mardi gras or vista

14 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Not true as I discussed on our recent Vista cruise review.....

For both cruises we had the same Havana interior cabin # 5214. When the Vista came out in 2016, we thought that we would love to try one of the Havana Cabana cabins, but we never got a chance to book one before Covid hit. When cruising resumed, our first cruise was on the Horizon, but those Havana cabins were not available so we just booked a regular balcony aft on the port side. Much to our surprise we saw that we could look down directly into the cabana and see that there was no privacy. Also, the views of the sea from there were not very good.

IMG_2416-XL.jpg

IMG_2420-XL.jpg

We decided then that those cabins were not for us, so we booked a Havana interior for our Panorama cruise. We couldn’t have been more pleased. We felt that with the Havana area itself, an interior cabin is all you need, and it is very cost effective. When we got back from that cruise we immediately booked the same for these cruises. The bonus was we received a great offer that basically gave us two weeks on this ship for the price of one. We couldn’t have been happier!

The two times we cruises on the Horizon, we also were in an inside in the Havana area, in one of the two sideways cabins.  When people talk about privacy, I mistakenly assumed it was just about the few times one of your neighbors might walk by.  Didn't realize that people above could peer down into your lanai area.

• Like 2

Thanks Jamman54.  As pointed out, people making youtube vids we saw, didn't seem to mind the open design of their Mardi Gras "Havana balcony" [more a Lenai than a balcony IOHO].  Otherwise, the cabins themselves looked like normal balcony layout and roominess [nice in that respect]  Would be nice to make a price comparison to understand the value [say to a standard balcony].  Of course, the exclusionary elements of the Havana AREA itself is a plus. But still...as your photos depict (thanks)..not that private [even if the 'exclusive' traffic is very low there?].   We guess for each to judge that value for themselves of course.  Interesting though [the Havana design].

• Like 1

We've done 4 cruises on Mardi Gras (3 times in a balcony cabin and 1 week in an inside) and 2 weeks on Vista (inside on Lido). During our second week on Vista, we came to the conclusion it just wasn't our favorite. While we had a great time, there were days that we were just tired of all the people. It seemed to be more crowded than Mardi Gras, probably because MG is such a big ship and has so many more options for both bars and outside areas. There were things we loved about Vista - JiJi and the lasagna at Cucina, the atrium bar to name a few. If we ever cruise on Vista again, we'll be looking at the Havana area.

We have 2 upcoming cruises on Mardi Gras and 2 on Venezia (I know, I know). 

• Like 1

Yeah I haven't sailed in a Havana cabin yet, but I've always said that if I ever wanted to go Havana, I'd go interior.  Those balconies feel more like patios, you get an obstructed view of the ocean and you're so far away from it.  If I wanted a balcony I'd book a regular balcony, and if I wanted the Havana area I'd just go for the interior and save the cash.

• Like 2