Vancouver Hotels- Blue Horizon, Coast Coal Harbour or Residence Inn by Marriott

My husband and I and 3 additional couples are cruising on the Sapphire Princess next May and we are in the midst of all kinds of planning. We will be flying to Vancouver on the Wednesday before the cruise and staying 3 nights in Vancouver. We currently have reservations at the Residence Inn because their availability opened up first, the Blue Horizon is now showing availability for a very similar rate to the Residence Inn but does not include breakfast like the Residence Inn does. The Coast Coal Harbour has similar rates on a few third party hotel booking sites but their calendar is not open yet directly through their site and we like to book directly through the hotels website, we have heard of too many nightmares about third party booking sites. Are all of these good choices or is there one that stands out above the rest? Are they all in good areas of Vancouver? My brother and his wife are runners and they might be wanting to get a run in early in the morning before we start touring  for the day. Also wondering if we have a nice morning the day of the cruise if we would be able to walk to the cruise port from any of these hotels? 

All three are in good areas - the Coast Coal harbour is the closest to the pier and closer to the Seawall for the runners. It is also in a quieter part of the downtown - somewhat removed from the hustle of Davie, Robson and Denman streets. It is also the newest of the three properties.

The Blue Horizon gets good marks - centrally located on Robson with restaurants of all types located just about evertwhere.

The Residence Inn by Marriott is located at the other end of the downtown peninsula. It is closer to access Granville island and the False Creek seawall and is close to the vibrant Davie Street scene.

As for walking - the Residence Inn is the furthest - just over a dozen blocks - slight uphill and then gentle downhill to the port.

Blue Horizon is about 6 or so blocks and mostly a downhill walk to the port.

The Coast Coal is the closest and easiest to walk to the port.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

We stayed at the Blue Horizon last year.  Excellent room and walking distance to most things.  They have a restaurant which is open for breakfast although we did not eat there, guests we talked to said it was good.

There is an excellent breakfast/lunch place a few blocks away called CORA'S. https://www.chezcora.com/en/breakfast-lunch-restaurants/cora-robson-street/?utm_source=googlemaps&utm_medium=vancouver-robson&utm_content=website

We are staying there again in August.  

• Like 1

We've stayed at the Blue Horizon twice and Coast Coal Harbor once, and like both. We chose the Coast CH again for this year's trip because it's closer to the harbor, newer and quieter than the Blue Horizon. They both have decent restaurants on site and all around, and loads of coffee shops nearby. There's a terrific running/walking path along the waterfront that goes from Canada Place all the way around Stanley Park - it's about a block away from the Coast, couple of blocks from Blue Horizon so it works either way. The last time we stayed at Blue Horizon I was training for a marathon and had an enjoyable long run around Stanley Park, and somewhat regretted having to walk back uphill to the hotel...but we do like both BH and Coast.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

All three are in good areas - the Coast Coal harbour is the closest to the pier and closer to the Seawall for the runners. It is also in a quieter part of the downtown - somewhat removed from the hustle of Davie, Robson and Denman streets. It is also the newest of the three properties.

The Blue Horizon gets good marks - centrally located on Robson with restaurants of all types located just about evertwhere.

The Residence Inn by Marriott is located at the other end of the downtown peninsula. It is closer to access Granville island and the False Creek seawall and is close to the vibrant Davie Street scene.

As for walking - the Residence Inn is the furthest - just over a dozen blocks - slight uphill and then gentle downhill to the port.

Blue Horizon is about 6 or so blocks and mostly a downhill walk to the port.

The Coast Coal is the closest and easiest to walk to the port.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, yes this helps a lot! It's good to know that these are all good areas so whatever we decide on we'll be good. I didn't know there was a False Creeek seawall, that would probably be another good place for my brother and his wife to run and for me and my husband to go for a nice walk if we have time. We will be having 2 rental cars and will be returning them to the Avis on Hornby or the Enterprise on West Georgia on Saturday morning, I looked those locations up on google maps and I thought we could drop some of us and luggage off near Canada Place and the rest can return the cars and then walk to Canada Place.  

7 hours ago, NWA395 said:

We stayed at the Blue Horizon last year.  Excellent room and walking distance to most things.  They have a restaurant which is open for breakfast although we did not eat there, guests we talked to said it was good.

There is an excellent breakfast/lunch place a few blocks away called CORA'S. https://www.chezcora.com/en/breakfast-lunch-restaurants/cora-robson-street/?utm_source=googlemaps&utm_medium=vancouver-robson&utm_content=website

We are staying there again in August.  

Thank you for the info about the Blue Horizon!  Also thank you for the link to Cora's, I looked at their menu and wow those pictures are amazing! I will definitely be recommending to the others in our group that we eat there!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kirsten T said:

We've stayed at the Blue Horizon twice and Coast Coal Harbor once, and like both. We chose the Coast CH again for this year's trip because it's closer to the harbor, newer and quieter than the Blue Horizon. They both have decent restaurants on site and all around, and loads of coffee shops nearby. There's a terrific running/walking path along the waterfront that goes from Canada Place all the way around Stanley Park - it's about a block away from the Coast, couple of blocks from Blue Horizon so it works either way. The last time we stayed at Blue Horizon I was training for a marathon and had an enjoyable long run around Stanley Park, and somewhat regretted having to walk back uphill to the hotel...but we do like both BH and Coast.

Thank you for the great information! I'm checking the website for the Coast Coal Harbour daily but they still don't have their rates for our dates. When they come out we'll make our decision. 

Posted (edited)

The False Creek Seawall is part of the one that starts by Canada Place - the cruise port - winds it way through Coal Harbour - think the Bayshore - and goes all the way around Stanley Park to Second Beach and English and then continues eastward to the head of False Creek - which isn't a creek but an extension of the ocean - where it then turns westward and follows False Creek all the way to Spanish Banks and on towards the University of BC. It is somewhat like 22 km or around 12 miles and almost all flat and almost all on dedicated route.

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker
delete some text