NCL and AGM/Sealed Lead Acid Scooter Batteries

My wife's scooter uses a  AGM/Sealed Lead Acid battery.  It is approved by the FAA for flight.  The NCL accessibility FAQ says that only Gel Cell batteries are permitted.  We sailed last year on Holland America, and their guidelines permit AGM batteries.  I'd hate to arrive at the port and be told that our scooter is banned.  

41 minutes ago, slowhand said:

My wife's scooter uses a  AGM/Sealed Lead Acid battery.  It is approved by the FAA for flight.  The NCL accessibility FAQ says that only Gel Cell batteries are permitted.  We sailed last year on Holland America, and their guidelines permit AGM batteries.  I'd hate to arrive at the port and be told that our scooter is banned.  

Yes, NCL is quite clear on what is allowed.   Perhaps a rental would be a good idea. Here is the info about that:

For additional details on the prearranged rental program for wheelchairs, scooters and other medical equipment, please contact our authorized vendor. Please note that the other vendors will not have access to Norwegian ships:

Scootaround

Phone: (toll-free) 888-441-7575 or 204-982-0657

Fax: 204-478-1172

www.scootaround.com

Posted (edited)

A quote from my Access Desk Relations letter: (You should be fine is it is FAA approved.)

• Scooters and motorized wheelchairs must be powered by gel-cell, dry-cell batteries, sealed acid batteries or must be FAA approved and the chargers must be adaptable to 110 volts." .
Edited by shepherdqueen

As a side note, though, if your charger is 110/220V and you bring a European adapter plug you can use one of the European outlets in your cabin and save the US outlet for something that's not switchable.  I do that with my scooter and my CPAP machine.

22 hours ago, shepherdqueen said:

A quote from my Access Desk Relations letter: (You should be fine is it is FAA approved.)

• Scooters and motorized wheelchairs must be powered by gel-cell, dry-cell batteries, sealed acid batteries or must be FAA approved and the chargers must be adaptable to 110 volts." .

Thank you for the clarification directly from NCL.  Our scooter battery is FAA approved so all should be good 🙂