Sorry! Another question about dressing 🤫

It has been several years since we have cruised on Seabourn.  We are getting ready to board in about 11 days and trying to figure out what we are packing.  

We have read the current dress code on the Seabourn site.  For men on NON-Formal nights it says slacks with a shirt with a collar.  Would a polo (golf) shirt be considered a shirt with a collar?  Or do they mean a button up dress or sports shirt?

Where are you cruising? Some areas are more dressy ( I won’t say formal) than others.

we are on an expedition ship at the moment and yes there are sweaters, jackets, sports cardigans, long sleeve shirts, sports jackets etc. In 26 days cruising I haven’t seen a collared golf shirt. At least you can wear a short sleeve collared shirt like a Tommy Bahama.

What the heck is a wife beater? Can that possibly be a name for something in today’s world?

No offence intended jjs217, just wondering where this comes from. Totally left field in Australia.

46 minutes ago, BasandSyb said:

What the heck is a wife beater? Can that possibly be a name for something in today’s world?

I prefer to call it a Stanley Kowalski.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Thank you very much. When I was growing up it was worn by hard working immigrant labourers, predominantly Italians in the canefields and who continue to wear them at home in our hot tropical regions. They would be horrified by the term. Different countries….

• Like 2

I'm sorry.  I grew up using that term, and didn't mean to insult anybody.  There use to be a TV show called, "Cops", and invariably when the cops showed up to a domestic violence situation, the dude was wearing one of these things.  I resolve to stop using it.  What do they call them in Australia?

On 6/17/2024 at 6:50 PM, BasandSyb said:

Where are you cruising? Some areas are more dressy ( I won’t say formal) than others.

we are on an expedition ship at the moment and yes there are sweaters, jackets, sports cardigans, long sleeve shirts, sports jackets etc. In 26 days cruising I haven’t seen a collared golf shirt. At least you can wear a short sleeve collared shirt like a Tommy Bahama.

No offence intended jjs217, just wondering where this comes from. Totally left field in Australia.

I believe it's a drink.

We call them singlets.

White for wearing under business shirts. T-shirt style underwear was never big here - I guess because of the heat.

Blue/grey under manual workers shirts or for many older people in tropical areas for working in their gardens in the heat.

17 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

We call them singlets.

White for wearing under business shirts. T-shirt style underwear was never big here - I guess because of the heat.

Blue/grey under manual workers shirts or for many older people in tropical areas for working in their gardens in the heat.

Singlets - that does sound more civilized than wife beaters.  Henceforth - I will call them singlets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After too many years of reading dress code threads, I stopped reading them. They never end well. Now, I find myself compelled to post in one. (Full disclosure – my online solitaire game stopped working & I am bored.)

Unlike some posters, I do care how other passengers dress. The attire of the diners in any restaurant contributes to the ambiance. Most high-end restaurants have a desired ambiance they try to establish. It is carried out in the décor, the wait staff dress & manners, music, sound buffers, food presentation, etc. How the diners dress & act contributes significantly to that ambiance. Hence, a dress code. (There should also be a behavior code.)

TripAdvisor rates restaurants on Food, Service, Value, & Atmosphere. I believe other diners contribute to the atmosphere.

If Ascot Racecourse didn’t have a dress code, there wouldn’t be the wonderful scene & song in My Fair Lady. (Imagine if one of the performers was dressed in shorts & a muscle shirt.)

I complied with the Seabourn dress code for many years & dutifully wore my tux on formal nights. (I scored points with my wife in the process.) Ultimately, the extra luggage it forced me to carry for one night became a burden & we skipped it. I still enjoy wearing my tux to formal occasions when I don’t have to pack.

So, Seabourn has a dilemma. What ambiance do they want in the restaurant & how do they control it? They could insist on dressy attire as many Michelin starred restaurants do & attract other old farts like me while turning off the younger crowd. They could create the ambiance of a high school cafeteria including food fights & that may appeal to another segment of the market while turning off others.

Or, they could have no dress code in which case I would come to dinner only in a speedo. The benefit of that for me is that I predict that within 5 minutes of my arrival in the restaurant, I will have the room to myself. Even those who say they don’t care how others dress will find another venue.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8