New to MSC, advice please

debsjc

I would usually spend hours researching, but we are a bit short of time, as looking to make a quick booking on Virtuosa ex Southampton.
We have only sailed MSC once, and that was many years ago. Last few cruises have been Princess & Celebrity.

Could you tell me the pros and cons of MSC? It's for a 7 day trip, and we would probably eat more in the Buffet,or casual eats. 

I believe we can only have early or late sitting in the dining room, not anytime/open. It would be for a standard balcony cabin, without a drinks package.

Are there any included drinks on the buffet, aside from water? How is the evening entertainment?

Thank you

Hello:

MSC has three categories (Bella, Fantastica and Aurea) in addition to YC.
If you request the Aurea experience you will have a dining area where you can go whenever you want. In the case of Bella and Fantastica, they assign you a specific time (for example, dinner every day at 7:00 p.m.).
In the Aurea experience there is also a solarium reserved for these clients.
Check what the price is if you indicate Aurea experience.

Regarding the beverage package, there is no obligation to reserve.
I would suggest that you book the simplest of all to have non-alcoholic drinks and the simplest of the alcoholic ones included along with the 15% service charge. If you want a drink that is not included, they will charge you the difference instead of the full price

• Like 1

10 hours ago, debsjc said:

We have only sailed MSC once, and that was many years ago.

Not much has changed, only the "Wellness" category has been discontinued and Aurea has been watered down heavily. Certainly the Virtuosa is a much more exciting ship than the one you sailed before. Free drinks at the buffet are the same as before, water, coffee, tea. Entertainment has been watered down also, maybe you are lucky with the Virtuosa and still catch up some classical music. Overall a standard balcony cabin on Virtuosa without a drinks package is definitely a good choice you will not regret. 

• Like 1

Thank you both. The route and the date suit us perfectly, I am just a bit concerned about reviews of the ship being overcrowded, and the food being poor.

3 hours ago, debsjc said:

Thank you both. The route and the date suit us perfectly, I am just a bit concerned about reviews of the ship being overcrowded, and the food being poor.

That reports often come from the Christmas holiday cruises of the Virtuosa when every cabin is booked and the maximum number of kids is on board. I have cruised Virtuosa two times and the cruises were the opposite of overcrowded, actually the least crowded MSC cruises I had because the ship is really big. Actually I am quite happy that these christmas / new year cruises are so expensive that it protects me from booking them 😄

Food on Virtuosa in Northern Europe was also better than on other MSC ships. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, debsjc said:

I would usually spend hours researching, but we are a bit short of time, as looking to make a quick booking on Virtuosa ex Southampton.
We have only sailed MSC once, and that was many years ago. Last few cruises have been Princess & Celebrity.

Could you tell me the pros and cons of MSC? It's for a 7 day trip, and we would probably eat more in the Buffet,or casual eats. 

I believe we can only have early or late sitting in the dining room, not anytime/open. It would be for a standard balcony cabin, without a drinks package.

Are there any included drinks on the buffet, aside from water? How is the evening entertainment?

Thank you

Use a TA!!!

As customer service is a disaster if you have an issue.  Costs you nothing to be safe.

Good product overall.

• Like 1