How can people afford so many cruises?

misssea

I look at some of these posts and some people take cruises 2-3 times a year, every year!! How do you guys afford to take cruises so often? Is it because you have lots of money to do it or are you getting big discounts for cruising so much? I can see cruising frequently if one had to pay for cruise alone but by the time you add drinks and airfare, etc., it seems that it would get quite pricey. I'm not trying to be nosy but would like to know because I wouldn't mind cruising more often!

You have money for the things that are important to you. I went years without a vacation then took a cruise with my kids and remembered how much I loved it. It's been nonstop since then. I took a part-time job and that money goes straight into the bank to pay for my cruises. I watch for cheap air. Smuggle a little of my booze and just watch the boards for cheap fun excursions. Like I said, if it's a priority to you, you will find the money for it.

Kristi - Atom.gif

hounds3.gif

Miracle.gif

royalsmallwide.gif

"No shoes, no shirt, no problem..."

Fantasy 3/95, Fascination 12/01, Conquest 1/03, Glory 9/03, Conquest 1/04, Mariner 9/04, Miracle 2/05

We like to cruise once or twice a year so we go with inside cabins and watch for special deals. I do a lot of research and we do some money saving tips at home. One year I had a yard sale and made over $600, our credit card is a Carnival Capital One and we get $$ off for our points. I book excursions on our own verses with the cruise line and no longer do the spa. It is still expensive but we like to travel and find that since cruises include the meals it is easier to budget for.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Thats not nosy. But do you ask your neighbor how he can afford a new car too?

1979 Carnival Mardi Gras

2000 Carnival Tropicale

2001 Carnival Paradise

2002 Carnival Spirit

2004 Carnival Elation

11/21/2004 CARNIVAL CONQUEST

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;21;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-600

1/28/2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2006;1;28;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Compared to other types of vacations, cruising is one of the best values, and with being able to drive to home ports, it is even a better value. Many smart cruisers book over a year in advance, in order to take advantage of some discounts, others, like me book last minute and also get great rates... shop around icon_biggrin.gif

To Sea, or not, to See.

Starward 81, Volendam 83, Oceanic 87, Majestic 93, Victory 2/10/02, Imagination 5/23/02, 1/30/03, Conquest 12/28/03, Destiny 04/11/04

Conquest New Years Cruise

http://community.webshots.com/user/crisp1028

There are many ways to save for a cruise , if you really really want it.

All of the above posters had excellent ideas.

Plus quite a few posters here are retirees and are able to travel at any time . That can save a lot of money too, when you are able to have a flexible schedule and can travel off peak times.

My Mom is retired and gets some great travel deals by leaveing or departing on a weekday, or an off peak time of day, or staying an extra day, whatever.

There are good deals out there , you just have to scout around for them.

Speaking of eating out...I'm a stay at home mom so I don't actually "make" any money but every time I make a lunch for DH to take to work, he says "That's one more Mudslide for you on the ship!"

If you just pack your lunch instead of eating out every day, you'd be amazed at how much you would save! Keep track for a month...you'll see!

Dolphin 8/85

Norway 7/87

Ecstacy 6/96

Paradise 4/02

Sensation 6/04 (with the kids)

Sensation 10/04 (WITHOUT the kids-WooHoo!)

I'm retired, single and have no children. I cruise at least 3-4 times a year, I live near the ports, I get phone calls from the cruiselines with special deals for repeat passengers. I don't spend alot of money on other entertainment, I'm not a "clothes hound", I don't eat out at fancy restaurants all the time, I drive a little car, so I don't spend a lot on fuel, I don't have any unpaid bills or credit card balances, my mortgage is paid off, I have pretty good retirement income AND I like spending the money on nice cruises with good accomodations because: I never yet saw a Brinks truck or a U-Haul driving through a cemetery! I'm going to die broke and know I had a good time living! icon_wink.gif

Its easy if you put your mind to it.

Run up huge credik card debts, change names and move a lot. Rob a bank now and then. Kite checks. Lots of ways. icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cruise number 41 coming soon.

Dangerous Dan McGoo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

dan40 did you forget kidnapping. Ransoms are a great way to pay for cruises also.

misssea, just about everyone responding is correct and if you put your mind to it it generally can be done.

Sometimes we go twice a year depending on the grades of our children and seldom go during holidays or vacation months. With a little practice and reading these boards you can come up with some really good ways to get cruises priced right.

Hang in!

1/16/05 Conquest Cruzin' Crazies! Better known as the Griswold Cruzin' Crazies)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;16;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

http://community.webshots.com/user/logoshoe

Get a discount TA, ours has saved us big $$. Book the cheapest cabin and hope for an upgrade but don't be disappointed if you don't get one (your room is the least of your concern as you are hardly in it). Don't be mislead, keep an open mind, all the ships are what you make of them. Just like all of the cars you've owned (some you liked better than others). If you have direct deposit at work, open up a savings account strictly for cruises and put $20 a week which is $1040 at the end of the year. We are lucky to live in FL so we can drive or take the cruise bus to the ports so we don't have to worry about airline fares but I know you can get great fares by constantly checking the web sites. Hopefully this helps you.

Maybe I'll win lotto tonight and then I can join the elite group that cruises multiple times a year. icon_biggrin.gif

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;28;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruise with Mom- Early 80th birthday celebration!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;06;10;15;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Since our 5/30/04 sailing on the Pride in aft cabin 4228!

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Maybe I'll win lotto tonight and then I can join the elite group that cruises multiple times a year. icon_biggrin.gif

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;28;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruise with Mom- Early 80th birthday celebration!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;06;10;15;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Since our 5/30/04 sailing on the Pride in aft cabin 4228!

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Ecstasy 09/13/02

I am a single woman who works two jobs. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle and save my money so I can have that one wonderful week a year. I do have two cruises booked for next year but I signed up with groups & got $25 deposit and no payments for a while. I work hard for my money & feel like I should be able to afford that one luxury in my life. Cruising is my one passion in life right now. icon_biggrin.gif

Valor 10/30/05 Miracle 2/13/05

Sensation 10/04

Conquest May 2003

Holiday Sept 2002

Inspiration 2001

Celebration 2000

Crown Princess 1999

Oceanic (Big Red Boat) 1998

Days til Sensation Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

saintsinners.gif

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Don't eat out at all unless on vacation. No cell phone, no DVD player, no XBox playstation thingy. No revolving balance on any credit cards. If we don't have the money in the bank to buy something we go without until we do....the interest will kill you. Never pay retail for anything. Do cheap stuff on weekends like hiking, visiting state parks, picnicing. And when all else fails sell an organ that you don't need.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Pride of Aloha 6/07/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

I use my income tax returns to pay for my cruises. I started my job when I was single and have since been married and have a child. I kept my withholdings at work as single, zero dependants. So I get a bunch back at the end of the year. Lose out on bank interest, but it's an easy way to save.

Sensation 12/16/2000(w.carib)

Victory Easter 2001 (w.carib)

Inspiration Jan 2003(w.carib)

Fascination 2/23/04 (w.carib)

Paradise 9/5/04 (panama canal) 9/5 Panama Adventure

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

David Brenner, the comedian, once did an act about splurging for a big night out on the town and when asked how he was able to pay for it, he simply said

"No one ever sees you eat tuna fish."

We usually cruise twice a year----we brown bag lunch---rarely eat out ( I love to cook.) Making sacrafices throughout the year gives us the opportunity to cruise--I think it is worth the effort!

Ditto to all of the above (I say this having just come down & logging on to CC after making my PB & J sandwich to take for lunch tomorrow!)

I want to add that we've also booked inside rooms, scout for the best deals, and drive (a long way!!!) from Nebraska to the port because we couldn't afford to cruise if we had to pay airfare for the 5 of us. That does restrict us a little in our choice of ships, but so far we've loved the ships we've been on.

A big money saver is also consignment stores. In the past 2 days I've bought formal dresses for myself, my 13 yr old DD, and my 6 yr old DD (4 dresses in all) as well as a couple of teeshirts for my son. These all look just about brand new and I spent a total of about $23 on it ALL. And if I'm shopping in a regular store (favorite one being walmart), a couple of my favorite words in the english language are "On Sale". I almost NEVER go to the mall---just too overpriced.

One last thing, I'm a therapist working for our local public school system and I work 2 extra jobs in the summer, while I'm off my regular job, and put all of that "extra" money away for our vacations. It's not quite as hard going to your moonlighting job when you have a very specific goal in mind and all the money you earn goes for it!

Penny

Disney Magic~~Eastern 7/03

Carnival Celebration~~Western 3/04

Aug 1, 2004 Carnival Elation--Yippee, Our 3rd Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Hubby and I quit smoking - that's 2 cartons per week times 52 weeks per year - (let's see $36 times 52 weeks per year times two (each smoked a carton) that comes to $3744) that pays for 2 cruises per year, we come up with the "extras" for foo foo drinks and excursions.

Faye, Ken and Brianna

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till the Legend Begins

Carnival Victory - 2/2003

Serenade of the Seas - 8/2003

Carnival Victory - 1/2004

Carnival Legend - 10/2004

Good for you moxie!!! You and hubby should be commended! What a great reward to yourselves.

dolph.gif

Carnival Pride 5/4/02

Carnival Conquest 1/19/03

Carnival Legend 1/16/04

Carnival Destiny 10/24/04

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

florida_fl_md_wht.gif

Originally posted by rscima:

Speaking of eating out...I'm a stay at home mom so I don't actually "make" any money but every time I make a lunch for DH to take to work, he says "That's one more Mudslide for you on the ship!"

If you just pack your lunch instead of eating out every day, you'd be amazed at how much you would save! Keep track for a month...you'll see!

You would be amazed at how much you could save by cutting back on a few things. I too now bring my lunch to work everyday instead of going out for it. Also, I bring my coffee in the morning instaed of stopping at Dunkin Donuts. Those 2 little measures probably saves me about $2,000.00 /yr if not more.

You cannot take it with you, so you may as well spend it now.

demon2.gif

namelogo.png

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Archived