Princess Cancellation Policy Question

custompcsys

Hi Folks,

I'm booked on the Star's June 14 sailing, which is 79 days away. I've already made my final payment (a bit early), but my understanding from reading the passage contract is that up to 75 days prior to the cruise I should still be able to change or cancel without penalty.

My thought with this is that I still have 4 days to find an alternate Princess ship to switch to and should be able to do so without a charge from Princess assuming there is space available. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Now, of course, if that is an option, comes the choice of going for the "sure thing" (if there is such a thing) and opting for another ship, or hanging in there with the Star reservation, on which I have a balcony cabin (Caribe deck starboard, so it wasn't affected by the fire). I don't have the option of switching my vacation, which was reserved at work almost a year in advance.

Advise on either would be appreciated! :)

Her's what I found on the princess site:

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage.html

CANCELLATION FEE SCHEDULE Days Prior to Cruise or Land Package Departure Date, whichever comes first

chart wouldn't print out ... it is visible tho on the link above

provided, however, that in the event a lower cancellation fee is applicable to Your Cruise as stated in the relevant brochure, such lower cancellation fee will apply. If You have purchased Princess Travel CareSM or Princess Travel Care GoldSM You must notify Carrier and the insurer of any cancellation as soon as possible. Refunds or credits available under the Princess Travel CareSM program are subject to the terms of said program. All airline tickets are the property of Carrier and must be returned to and are refundable only to Carrier. Your travel agent acts for You in making the arrangements for Your Cruise and any related travel, lodging and tours. Carrier is not responsible for any representation or conduct of Your travel agent, including, but not limited to, any failure to remit Your deposit or other funds to Carrier, for which You shall at all times remain liable to Carrier, or any failure to remit a refund from Carrier to You. No compensation or credit will be provided by Carrier should You have to cancel or cut short Your Cruise unless You have purchased Princess Travel CareSM or Princess Travel Care GoldSM.

I think you may lose the cost of the travel insurance if you purchased any.

I think you can cancel without penalty now. I suggest calling your TA ASAP.

If that's right, you wouldn't have to stay with Princess. You could explore options on other lines.

If I couldn't change my vacation dates and I could cancel without penalty now and book on a different ship, I would do it. Of course nothing is a sure thing -- you could switch to a ship that has its own mishap, but that's not likely. Your timing is fortunate - the cruisers before you don't have the option of cancelling without penalty.

If Princess announces that this ship will be out of service for a certain period of time, then you can be sure there will be a scramble to book on other ships during that period. Prices increase as demand goes up.

If you have trip insurance and you book a different cruise, call the company and see if your policy will cover you on the different cruise. They sometimes state that it must be the first booking for that date. Good luck!

Archived