Norwegian Encore Review - week of June 16, 2024 - Alaska

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

drpclarke was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just off of the Norwegian Encore. This is my second time doing Norwegian. For point of reference, have also done Carnival (never again), Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity.

Embarkation:
Took us 20 minutes. That's IT! It was amazing!  Arrived at our designated time and embarkation was so quick it felt like we had a whole other "sea day". Awesome!

Cleanliness/housekeeping:
The staff is on top of things when it comes to keeping this ship clean. Yes, some things are worn (like the chairs in the Garden Cafe, but hey, the ship is going in dry dock soon)..but everything is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. You know how passengers are just notorious for leaving plates and glasses anywhere? Only saw glasses out-of-place once. That staff is amazing!

Dining (Garden Cafe):
This is typical buffet. Mainstays are the salad bar, fruit, desserts, pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, ice cream. Food changes each meal in all of the other bars: Wok, Indian, Pasta, and "hot bar".  Things are hit and miss, but there is always something for everyone to enjoy. My personal favorite was the Indian bar, and this was pretty popular with the crew, too. Sugar free desserts also available every day. I thought breakfast was a bit lacking, as it seemed the same thing was at every station.

Dining (Specialty):
I only did that once, at Ocean Blue. While the sides were nothing spectacular, the sea bass was absolutely amazing!  The ahi tuna appetizer was also delicious. This was worth it! (Beware, a photographer will come by to take a picture and try to sell it to you).

Dining (dining room):
Only did once. I ordered clam chowder (nothing resembling a clam in it). For my entree, I ordered bluefish. Weirdly enough, it came with arugula and sauteed mushrooms, so a strange combination. One of my friends ordered the same thing. She took a bite, said it was ridiculously bland, and grabbed the salt. I took a bite of mine and it was inedible due to TON of salt on it (and I love salt).
This, by far, was the worst mail of the entire cruise. I may have just had bad luck, but heck, cruise time is limited and I wasn't going to gamble on a good meal again!

Choir of Man show:
 I had heard that this was a great show and shouldn't miss it. However, I generally hate cruise shows. I have a background in music and I tend to be pretty unreasonable about my expectations. The singers seem to be shrill and it's just very amateurish. 
Knowing there were good reviews with Choir of Man, I decided to give it a try. On our first night on the ship, I went to make reservations (it is needed for this show!). However, by that time, only ONE SHOWING was available...the next to last night. THIS SHOW WAS BOOKED!

..and for good reason. It's a great show. The plot is a bit weak but those are some VERY TALENTED MUSICIANS who sing with beautiful harmonies. This was such an unexpected surprise and a highlight of the cruise. If you're going on the Encore, SEE THIS SHOW.
We're actually due to go on the Encore again in January, and I'm determined to see this show again!

Entertainment: 
The cruise director is friendly and energetic and an absolute joy. She is in the position of singing for some events and she isn't a very strong singer (again, note how critical I am of musical stuff on the boat, so that my comments with a grain of salt). Most games were designed to be family friendly. Comedians were funny, and the adult show was hysterical with no unnecessary vulgarity.

Veterans:
I love that Norwegian truly treats veterans well as compared to other cruise lines. There is a nice discount, but now they do receptions for the veterans. The veterans are given pins, patches, challenge coins, etc. and get their photo taken as a group. I wish they did a recognition of the various branches of service just so we could see what everyone did - even something as simple as "Clap if you served in the Marines! Hoo-ah!". As the wife of an Air Force veteran, I really appreciate that Norwegian treats our veterans with additional respect.

Communication: 
This is a bit lacking in some areas with regards to the ports. For example, we were told there was a Juneau shuttle (and there was)...but there was also one in Victoria, and while it wasn't readily mentioned, many of the passengers went to the shuttle so we could visit Victoria. However, we were going to the shuttle not knowing any sort of schedule or how much it cost, so we all found out it was $15 round trip per passenger while we were waiting in line.
We also didn't know that we would get charged taxes on the drinks that we purchased while we were in port in Seattle waiting for the ship to sail, so that was a bit of a surprise. Not a bad charge, just a "surprise" charge and those aren't fun when you've budgeted for a trip.

Shore excursions:
We only did one with NCL, and I appreciated that the communication and signage was very clear. Once I got off of the ship, it was obvious where to meet my group. No confusion!

Disembarkation:
Ran quickly so we were able to get off the boat earlier than we expected. However, we had no idea when we had to vacate the room and had to ask the room steward - the time was not communicated in the paperwork. However, it was communicated in the Atrium - so you were in the know if you hung out there.

Atrium:
very small, active, and very crowded. Definitely the center of activity on the ship. Here is where some of my questions were answered via a projecting powerpoint presentation (rather than in the newsletter).

Observation Lounge:
 Rumor has it this will shrink after dry dock. It's a great place to be, and they have afternoon tea (sandwiches and desserts) too! One glitch here: a pre-recorded "audio tour" is played here during Glacier Bay and other times throughout the cruise. However, everyone is busy talking, so you don't hear the audio.

Deck and outdoor activities: it was beautiful weather but cold, so I can't comment on deck or outdoor activities.

Overall, it was a great cruise. As mentioned, I'm going again in January (although a different itinerary), and I know to expect. The high point was definitely the service by the staff - always professional!!

Let me know if you have any questions; I'm happy to help!
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

Do you have a list of officers? Its usually printed on Day 2 of the daily.

Thank you.

I'm sorry; I didn't keep a copy.

Thanks!