Self made trip package insurance-Airfare-Hotel-Cruise and back (not a vacation package by a company)

I booked a cruise during hurricane season out of San Juan PR. We use future cruise credits and of course the cruise wasn't that expensive because It's not summer vacation but hurricane season. We booked a separate airfare arriving in San Juan a day early with a hotel before the cruise. And then on the return they stop in Miami overnight for which we have a hotel and then the next day returning to our home city. I assume the cruise line will not change embarkation and disembarkation ports but the itinerary. I'm not worried about an itinerary change more I cancellation of the crews.

I called a competitor’s insurance and honestly, I don't even know how they hire an agent that doesn't understand their insurance. They basically said they do not cover cruises, which I don't know if that's true, but he also said they don't cover delays or cancellations because of hurricanes. But it talks about inclement weather in their policy information which reads like I would need to be a lawyer to understand it.

What is covered on the trip by the companies individually themselves is as follows. The airlines I have tickets that if I cancel, they will give me a travel credit. Obviously if they cancel I can either be rebooked or in the event of a hurricane cancellation or something like that I believe they would refund it to my original form of payment if they're responsible and if they cancel for other reasons and the delay is too long basically. They have complicated fare rules but the gist of it is that if for some reason I don't wanna go I get a travel credit. If the flight is delayed and we must stay overnight, and we don't get there till the following day there's added hotel costs that the airline may or may not be responsible for depending upon if it's mechanical or weather related so I could potentially incur that cost. If the airline fails to be able to get me to my destination in time but I can find another airline and they don't cover the change that I decided to cancel and pay for a flight with another airline how would my insurance apply in this circumstance? Am I allowed for example to cancel and rebook if it won't get me to the cruise port in time? It might affect any hotels that I had that our past cancellation date because airline isn't getting me there in time for the stay.

The hotel will allow cancellation up to a couple of days before arrival, which I assume I should know by then if a hurricane might be canceling the trip. The same would be true for the return hotel. On the other hand, if something changes and I'm already part of the way and at the last moment they cancel I potentially could lose hotel money. I don't know what happens with companies like Priceline if there's a hurricane in San Juan and nobody can travel there but they've booked a hotel. This might be a separate question from the insurance because in theory they should allow me to cancel for a refund. But if they don't then what would happen with the insurance?

I paid additional money for the cruise which I called the cruise line, and they are uncertain what they would do although I know they know they just don't wanna say. I believe they will offer a future cruise credit and potentially a refund if you push them hard enough.

My question is how do I put all this together with insurance and what benefits would I get if something happened? Since it's not booked altogether airlines can affect hotels that won't let us use the excuse of the airline for example or the cruise won't let us use the excuse for the airline if we missed the cruise because of airline delays. We might have to cancel one airline and fly in another if I must get creative because of airline delays. What coverage would I need and are these things covered? One big one of course is would I get a refund for my cruise including the future cruise credits that have a value if I don't want a future cruise credit? They applied the value of the credits towards the cruise, but they could potentially say, “Oh, you have to sail within a year” of this cancellation. They could extend a portion at the future cruise credit and refund the portion that was not originally a cruise credit but they couldn’t tell me because they don’t want to answer but they know what they’ll do. Lousy games really. Have clear policies. And not wanting future cruise credit within a year they might not be able to go.

Some of the insurance covers medical expenses like having to fly because of a medical condition and trip interruption and all that. I looked over your specific insurance and it didn't look like it covered weather unless I get cancelled for any reason which is only 75%. I’m a little confused as well on your own policy stuff it did not read like some of the competitors which talked about inclement weather.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Couple4funwithothers said:

I booked a cruise during hurricane season out of San Juan PR. We use future cruise credits and of course the cruise wasn't that expensive because It's not summer vacation but hurricane season. We booked a separate airfare arriving in San Juan a day early with a hotel before the cruise. And then on the return they stop in Miami overnight for which we have a hotel and then the next day returning to our home city. I assume the cruise line will not change embarkation and disembarkation ports but the itinerary. I'm not worried about an itinerary change more I cancellation of the crews.

I called a competitor’s insurance and honestly, I don't even know how they hire an agent that doesn't understand their insurance. They basically said they do not cover cruises, which I don't know if that's true, but he also said they don't cover delays or cancellations because of hurricanes. But it talks about inclement weather in their policy information which reads like I would need to be a lawyer to understand it.

What is covered on the trip by the companies individually themselves is as follows. The airlines I have tickets that if I cancel, they will give me a travel credit. Obviously if they cancel I can either be rebooked or in the event of a hurricane cancellation or something like that I believe they would refund it to my original form of payment if they're responsible and if they cancel for other reasons and the delay is too long basically. They have complicated fare rules but the gist of it is that if for some reason I don't wanna go I get a travel credit. If the flight is delayed and we must stay overnight, and we don't get there till the following day there's added hotel costs that the airline may or may not be responsible for depending upon if it's mechanical or weather related so I could potentially incur that cost. If the airline fails to be able to get me to my destination in time but I can find another airline and they don't cover the change that I decided to cancel and pay for a flight with another airline how would my insurance apply in this circumstance? Am I allowed for example to cancel and rebook if it won't get me to the cruise port in time? It might affect any hotels that I had that our past cancellation date because airline isn't getting me there in time for the stay.

The hotel will allow cancellation up to a couple of days before arrival, which I assume I should know by then if a hurricane might be canceling the trip. The same would be true for the return hotel. On the other hand, if something changes and I'm already part of the way and at the last moment they cancel I potentially could lose hotel money. I don't know what happens with companies like Priceline if there's a hurricane in San Juan and nobody can travel there but they've booked a hotel. This might be a separate question from the insurance because in theory they should allow me to cancel for a refund. But if they don't then what would happen with the insurance?

I paid additional money for the cruise which I called the cruise line, and they are uncertain what they would do although I know they know they just don't wanna say. I believe they will offer a future cruise credit and potentially a refund if you push them hard enough.

My question is how do I put all this together with insurance and what benefits would I get if something happened? Since it's not booked altogether airlines can affect hotels that won't let us use the excuse of the airline for example or the cruise won't let us use the excuse for the airline if we missed the cruise because of airline delays. We might have to cancel one airline and fly in another if I must get creative because of airline delays. What coverage would I need and are these things covered? One big one of course is would I get a refund for my cruise including the future cruise credits that have a value if I don't want a future cruise credit? They applied the value of the credits towards the cruise, but they could potentially say, “Oh, you have to sail within a year” of this cancellation. They could extend a portion at the future cruise credit and refund the portion that was not originally a cruise credit but they couldn’t tell me because they don’t want to answer but they know what they’ll do. Lousy games really. Have clear policies. And not wanting future cruise credit within a year they might not be able to go.

Some of the insurance covers medical expenses like having to fly because of a medical condition and trip interruption and all that. I looked over your specific insurance and it didn't look like it covered weather unless I get cancelled for any reason which is only 75%. I’m a little confused as well on your own policy stuff it did not read like some of the competitors which talked about inclement weather.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Hi Couple4funwithithers,

Thanks for writing all these details.

> I assume the cruise line will not change embarkation or disembarkation ports but the itinerary.

They would if a hurricane was headed towards an embarkation and disembarkation port.

> We use future cruise credits

I need some more information:

- What do you think all your per person prepaid non-refundable trip costs including airfare, in cash and not future cruise or travel credits will be?

- What does your airline's Contract of Carriage state will happen if they are unable to get you to your destination on time?

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

Thanks, Steve.

The cruise line said if the flights were late under their package and the ship was close enough from departure, they would "helicopter" us out. LOL, Yeah right. All my years never seen a helicopter but heard of them for medical emergencies. pretty sure they'd fly us to the next port and some kinda credit for the lost day or days.

about $1200 each out of pocket minus FCC's. Airlines carriage contract is within 4hours or we can cancel for a refund otherwise they will get us to destination. I've seen the airline willing to change final destination or even departure city if you talk like you know stuff(ie find flights to lessen their load rebooking and tell them as they begin to help you what you found and alternatives, especially when its a multistop change to get you there vs. direct)