tell me about the Carnival Sea Miles card...

MamaParrotHead

We have a Sea Miles card. Less than a year and have enough (about 50,000) for ONE person on a free cruise on a 7 day Carnival cruise the second passanger pays. Not enough yet for Holland. If we wait we can do BOTH free. I don't see any advantage of using 10,000 points for a discount that I can get from Vacations to go. We use the card for everything, groceries to Phone bills and everything in between so we accrue lots of points. I have already been talking with them and have no fears about problems. We had the OTHER Carnival card before this one and it was easy to get a free cruise. My opinion - go for it!

If you are a person who uses the card for everything, and charge like $3500.00 per month, then yeah, i'd be the card for you. If you only charge like $800 a month on it, you'd have to wait for your 12 yr old to graduate high school before i'd give you a free cruise....Best bet is, get a card that pays you cash back, like Chase Rewards, get one for you and one for your wife...

In past posts, if you have read some "grumlbings" that may give you pause about the Sea Miles card.....it is because many of us were on board from the beginning when it was a much different and much better program.

But now we have this and the bottom line is you are getting something for the money you spend. Only the individual can determine if it is the right card for them. As said earlier, if you don't charge a lot; it would take an eternity to see any real value and another "cash back" CC might be good for you. Also remember not to do any card that requires an annual fee.

We are using our Sea Miles card until we finish up points for our free cruises (for 4) out of it and then we are going to another option. But that is just us.

We also use them for everything (and pay off the entire balance every month). Ironically that is called being a "deadbeat" in the credit card world because they don't make any interest off you.

How long until the points expire?

Mama -- No expiration on points. There are lots of options. Best of all is the money actually spent on a Carnival Cruise is DOUBLE points. Cost of cruise and sign and sail card! We are also "Deadbeats" paying off our balance each month - no interest and no debt, so it is an assumption on my part that the purshases logged onto the card accrue points. Anyone out there know different -- do you get the points on just what you actually pay each month on the balance?

We will continue our card even after we redeem our points. Getting a free cruise on ANY line you want is too good to pass up.

I actually have been answering my own questions. And just FYI, it states on the website that the points expire within 60 months (5 years) of starting to accrue them. Now that I'm so hooked on cruising, I'd HOPE that I wouldn't have to go that long between cruises, but just incase, I thought I'd put that info out there for everyone. Thanks for the responses so far, everyone!

I'd like to know the details:

1) What is the annual cost to have the card...?

2) How many points do you receive per dollar charged to the card...?

3) Is there an annual limit to the number of points you can receive...?

4) Are there any black-out periods for booking a cruise...?

5) What is the points exchange ratio for booking a room (e.g., 80,000 = $800)...?

When trying to redeem points for a free cruise or discount off a cruise, can you book through your regular TA or do you have to book through the Carnival Sea Miles travel folks?

Only Carnival SeaMiles Folks. I booked my Valor Cruise with them and they even called to let me know about the Change in port from Cozumel to Costa Maya.

....Best bet is, get a card that pays you cash back, like Chase Rewards, get one for you and one for your wife...

I'm with Southbayer here...

I get back $300 cash for about every $20,000 I charge to each of my cash rewards cards. I use charge everything... rarely pay cash or write checks.

I'm usually good for $600 to $900 cash back each year to spend how I want. If I did the sea card, I would have to spend $50,000 to get $500 cash off my cruise. I can get $500 cash by charging about $33,000 on my cash cards.

Only Carnival SeaMiles Folks. I booked my Valor Cruise with them and they even called to let me know about the Change in port from Cozumel to Costa Maya.

So you had a good experience with the seamiles folks? How was their pricing compared to aregular TA?

So you had a good experience with the seamiles folks? How was their pricing compared to aregular TA?

What pricing? you use the Points you earned with your SeaMiles Credit card, I only redeemed 45,000 points and my 7 day cruise on the Valor was only 295.00 per person. At 45,000 points I could take a Free 5 day cruise and at 80,000 points the 7 day cruise is free.

Search this board. There was a post about a month ago, that was discussing some less than desirable attributes. Sorry I don't remeber more than that. I came away with a feeling I was better off with my WorldPoints card.:(

Search this board. There was a post about a month ago, that was discussing some less than desirable attributes. Sorry I don't remeber more than that. I came away with a feeling I was better off with my WorldPoints card.:(

Sure you will read negative reports about SeaMiles, Carnival Vacation Club etc. but its been a great savings for me, tomorrow I pay off another 15,000 points on that SeaMiles card and half of that are double points because what I spent on the Valor then I will be back to 60,000 points again, thats another 7 day cruise at 295.00 or if I wait for 80,000 points which should be by this summer, next years cruise is free.

Archived