Small Joy review

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

grouchomarx was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just off Joy yesterday, NYC to Bermuda.  Overall, I loved this ship. It was classy and elegant in every way.  Food and drinks were top notch all around including the main dining room which I normally hate.  The Vibe was a perfect escape from main pool madness and its own little hot social spot.  The thermal suite was nice but mostly empty and very silent, except for loud voices in the hot tub sometimes.  All specialty dining was delicious.  I never used the race track or mini golf, nor the water slides.  I did not see night time entertainment, I was busy with friends I met.  This was a first solo cruise and I found it easy to make friends and find dining mates for many nights.  Eating alone was super comfortable.  I had a solo balcony cabin on deck 11, silent and never heard a sound of another human being anywhere. The observation lounge is a wonderful respite for a quiet place to relax, read, play cards, get a light bite.  I ate breakfast here every day.  Even when busy on a rainy day you can find a seat.  Never visited the gym, it was very small by comparison to other ships (and I am a gym rat but needed a break).  Service was excellent everywhere.  Navigation took a few days to master.  Some major venues are hidden in the far corners beyond the elevator banks, no sign. Never had any trouble finding a table in the buffet at peak lunch hours.  If you have any questions I will try to answer them all.  Joy was a joy, in conclusion.

• Like 10

Sailing on the Joy next month and am really excited. First NCL cruise since before COVID. Thanks for the review. Quick question...do you think the thermal spa is worth the price?

7 minutes ago, dinkydee718 said:

Sailing on the Joy next month and am really excited. First NCL cruise since before COVID. Thanks for the review. Quick question...do you think the thermal spa is worth the price?

Not the OP, but I do - I paid $299 for the thermal spa on a Bermdua sailing (and like OP, I had both the Vibe and thermal spa as a solo, which worked out great!). I think that it was well worth it, it is the largest thermal spa in the fleet (and on the tour on embarkation day, they made sure to tell me that it has 46 of the heated loungers!). Like OP, I never found it crowded or loud. My normal circuit was hot tub, plunge pool (for about 10 seconds, that's all one can take!), then the steam room, then the ice room, then the sauna. I might have added the "ritual shower" once or twice, though the front one I think is better. An important thing to note on those is that the setting marked "invigorating" is COLD (which is indeed quite invigorating!)

We were on the Joy last month and found the thermal spa to be absolutely worthwhile. A quiet place to read, relax and take advantage of its several therapeutic rooms.

We had both the spa and the Vibe and found that these two places were where we spent most of our time while on the ship.

Although we are very happy to cruise with Norwegian, we find that the daytime activities on board are lacking. The game shows are silly and the alternatives are activities designed to sell a service or a product.

11 hours ago, dinkydee718 said:

I kind of regretted buying a full week pass.  Did not get to use it that much to justify the price.  Next time I would do a day pass when I felt like it.  It would be worth it for a cold weather sailing but not hot weather, you’re outdoors too much.  It’s very tranquil and lovely though.

11 hours ago, jds2001 said:

Not the OP, but I do - I paid $299 for the thermal spa on a Bermdua sailing (and like OP, I had both the Vibe and thermal spa as a solo, which worked out great!). I think that it was well worth it, it is the largest thermal spa in the fleet (and on the tour on embarkation day, they made sure to tell me that it has 46 of the heated loungers!). Like OP, I never found it crowded or loud. My normal circuit was hot tub, plunge pool (for about 10 seconds, that's all one can take!), then the steam room, then the ice room, then the sauna. I might have added the "ritual shower" once or twice, though the front one I think is better. An important thing to note on those is that the setting marked "invigorating" is COLD (which is indeed quite invigorating!)

There was one day I was literally the only person in the thermal suite!  It was never crowded.  I did not have the nerve for the plunge pool!  One dip of the toe was enough.

• Haha 1

Thank you very much, Groucho, for the excellent summary of your experience.  We'll be on her in Oct., first time to Bermuda