rental car for Kauai/Lihue airport

StormySeas

I like to pre-plan. we are going to Hawaii on Holland America January 2025. we want to take the Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour leaving from Lihue airport. I need to book the tour with the company and will need to set a time. I can't set the time until I can decide how to get to the airport from the cruise port. I understand that Avis/Budget car rental had a shuttle that went from the cruise port to airport but I am not sure if this is still the case. after our helicopter tour, it would be nice to have the rental car to explore the island. we could get back to the cruise port on the shuttle from the airport after we drop off the car. we are in port from 8am - 6pm. the helicopter tour is about an hour so we would probably have time to explore.

Is this a do-able plan? would 9am be too tight to get to the airport for the tour? anyplace worth driving to after the tour? maybe a good snorkle beach? suggestions are welcome!

On 7/5/2024 at 11:38 AM, StormySeas said:

I like to pre-plan. we are going to Hawaii on Holland America January 2025. we want to take the Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour leaving from Lihue airport. I need to book the tour with the company and will need to set a time. I can't set the time until I can decide how to get to the airport from the cruise port. I understand that Avis/Budget car rental had a shuttle that went from the cruise port to airport but I am not sure if this is still the case. after our helicopter tour, it would be nice to have the rental car to explore the island. we could get back to the cruise port on the shuttle from the airport after we drop off the car. we are in port from 8am - 6pm. the helicopter tour is about an hour so we would probably have time to explore.

Is this a do-able plan? would 9am be too tight to get to the airport for the tour? anyplace worth driving to after the tour? maybe a good snorkle beach? suggestions are welcome!

We used the Avis/Budget shuttle in May. Note that the 1st shuttle filled up and had to leave people at the pier waiting for the next bus, so plan to get to the gangplank before it opens. Also note that the last bus from the airport to the pier is 4:00 PM.

I'm not sure what time you dock, but 9:00AM could be pushing it if your can't get on the 1st shuttle, if I recall the Avis lot is also not at the terminal, so you might have to shuttle to the terminal building, or wherever the chopper leaves from.

If you have a car, drive to Waimea Canyon afterward and see if from the poor folk perspective (wish we could have afforded a chopper)!

thanks for the advice. since this is the only time I expect to go to Hawaii, I want to experience this for sure! it is expensive but I will be paying for it over time and will remember it for all my life!!