Question re: Luggage Type

When my children were small, if we went anywhere likely to be busy or crowded, I always made sure they had a card in their pocket with their name, address, phone number and, if at some tourist place etc, somewhere we would go to if we missed one of them ( eg hotel reception, airport information, ticket office). They had instructions to present the card, if they got separated from us, to someone in uniform or someone who was helping them or an adult with children.

Thankfully, although they were both pretty adventurous children, we never lost one but it provided a little reassurance all round especially when travelling.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 2:02 PM, redleader74 said:

Ok great info...we'll check on that too.  7 days goes by just like that and I'd hate to find out only during the last day or two that there was something fun to do on the ship that I didn't know about.

Best way to combat that problem is to go to the Next Cruise Office and book another trip!  

On 7/23/2024 at 11:33 AM, FannyLiz said:

When my children were small, if we went anywhere likely to be busy or crowded, I always made sure they had a card in their pocket with their name, address, phone number and, if at some tourist place etc, somewhere we would go to if we missed one of them ( eg hotel reception, airport information, ticket office). They had instructions to present the card, if they got separated from us, to someone in uniform or someone who was helping them or an adult with children.

If you children are very small, you can order temporary tattoos with the information you want from Amazon.  Personally, I'd want to give just the parents' names /phones. 

For a cruise though, this is unnecessary.  All children are given a bracelet they must wear the whole cruise (think wristband you'd get after paying to enter a festival or a bar).  The bracelet gives staff information about parents, room and muster station.  

Another thing about bringing kids on a cruise:  You want to go to the Kids' Club as soon as you conveniently can.  Get the kids registered so you can drop them off any time -- and once they've been once, they'll beg to go back.  You want them to go the first evening when they're doing all the "getting to know you" activities -- and when kids are finding their friends.  They used to give us a separate Kids' Club Newsletter each evening listing the choices for kids the next day.  

Screenshot 2024-07-25 10.16.36 AM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury

A lot depends on the type of child you have. Do you have a 5 year old who will listen and follow instructions in crowded spaces or one that is likely to wander and get lost? 

I’ve been travelling domestically and internationally solo with my daughter since she was 4 months old. My tips are:

- minimise luggage where possible. Take the smallest and easiest to move you can. I travelled with one suitcase and a carry on backpack each. 

- ensure you have everything your child needs handy to you.

- give them responsibility. They should have a backpack with their things - I’d include swimsuit in this in case they want a swim. Any special toys go in that and don’t come out until on board (too easy to lose).

- keep a snack and water handy. No one wants a meltdown from a hangry child.