The Med

Hi Folks, I need your help.  After 19 years of Caribbean Cruising (all on Seadream), we are ready to go to Europe.  Will you kindly share your hands down all time favourite itinerary?  I would very much like to lean on your vast experience rather than try to figure it out alone.  We are not shoppers and very happy to dine on board.  My husband is extremely active.  The best time for us to travel will be August-September.  Thank you in Advance!  Jan 2024 attached 🙂  No need to stay at Eden Rock when we get to go back to Seadream!

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 9.08.50 AM.png

We've been cruising with SD about as long as you have. Like you, for years we only did Caribbean because we were concerned that in Europe we would not get time to enjoy the ship. Not true! We love cruising in Europe with SD. I think our favorite was the Norwegian Fjords. It was a charmed voyage - we packed for cool and rainy (which is usually right) and sailed into a heat wave. It was around the solstice and didn't get dark until almost midnight. At night the ship sailed through the fjords - magic. So many people wanted to dine on deck that SD had to give in and make every night a dine on deck night. I know that this is not a voyage that is offered every year, but do yourself a favor and book it for 2026. In terms of the yearly voyages offered, we love sailing through the south of France and taking a chef walk in the markets in the French Riviera.

Don't go in August. It's the absolute worst time of the year to travel in Europe because everyone is on holiday. September is a much better option. I've lived in Spain and Italy and spent a lot of time in the Med on really, really big yachts, the type in my avatar. Places I've always liked include Lisbon, Sevilla, Grenada, Palma, Barcelona, Provence, Pisa, Florence, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Venice, Dubrovnik, Split, Athens, the Greek Isles, Istanbul, Izmir, and Malta. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite places. You can't wrong with any of these places. At least it will give you a brief introduction to places that you'll want to return and explore in greater detail. Take a look at some of Rick Steves' videos covering these places and you might get a better idea of where you'd like to visit.

• Like 3

We prefer to travel to Europe in May. We've done trips on SD2 Lisbon to  Barcelona,  Barcelona to Nice, Nice to Rome, Rome to Valetta, and Athens to Venice. Our favorites were Nice to Rome, with days tacked on at each end. Loved chef walk in San Tropez, Cinque Terre, Elba and Bonifacio. Other favorite was Valetta to Rome. Spent an entire week in Valetta.  Capri, Amalfi coast and Pompeii,  and again,  Bonifacio. 

Totally, totally agree with the comment above - AVOID AUGUST in the Med at all costs.

Frankly, avoid late June through the end of August.  Not only super crowded in most of the places you will want to visit, but also incredibly hot and some places very humid.  The better month is September by far.  

We have done most of the SD Med voyages over the past 16 years.  We liked them all, but for the first time, we are partial to Greece and Turkey, also Croatia and Italy voyages.

We are booked on several of the 2025 and 2026 voyages on SD2 going to Northern Europe and Scandinavia and can’t wait for the new ports - for us and SD - and the cooler temps.  Many of them are booking up quickly.

We too are sailing Norway and Baltics next summer and then the special Scotland/Ireland in 2026. Seadream put out a video on you tube for travel agents last week about the Norway sailings if you're interested in learning more. You would be looking at 2026 because 2025 is booked.  (Although there will be cancelations) 

On 7/14/2024 at 9:10 AM, garysarah said:

We too are sailing Norway and Baltics next summer and then the special Scotland/Ireland in 2026. Seadream put out a video on you tube for travel agents last week about the Norway sailings if you're interested in learning more. You would be looking at 2026 because 2025 is booked.  (Although there will be cancelations) 

How do I access that video? We are waitlisted for a Norway sailing in 2025, and booked for the same one in 2026 to cover our bases. We are also booked for the Ireland/Scotland voyage.

5 hours ago, Zimmy said:

How do I access that video? We are waitlisted for a Norway sailing in 2025, and booked for the same one in 2026 to cover our bases. We are also booked for the Ireland/Scotland voyage.

You can skip the first 5 minutes of the video. At the end he said they will be putting put a video on Scotland/Ireland too. Look forward to meeting you! Are you doing NYE this year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garysarah said:

You can skip the first 5 minutes of the video. At the end he said they will be putting put a video on Scotland/Ireland too. Look forward to meeting you! Are you doing NYE this year?

Thank you so much for posting the link. It is so exciting to have new itineraries. We did do the Norwegian Fjords a few years ago, but we didn't get that far north. No, we are not doing NYE this year - our winter voyage will be in February instead. Looking forward to meeting you, but I do wonder if we have met before. 

So many places!  I would only go to these on a small ship never on a large ship.  This should give you about 10 weeks of cruising!

Croatia - Korcula, Hvar, Trogir, Dubrovnik + Kotor Montenegro

French Riviera + Corsica - Antibes, St. Tropez, Monte Carlo

Spanish Riviera + Balearic Islands

Malta, Sardinia, Sicily, Amalfi Coast

Corinth Canal (and I'd defer to others on Greek Islands and Turkey as I have not been yet)