Tapas Recommendations - Away from the crowds

We spent 5 glorious days in Barcelona in November and since it is a port in our upcoming trip next month, we are hoping to get off the ship, have a great tapas lunch and get back on to the ship. We want to avoid crowds in the main tourist areas (if that is even a possibility) as it will be hot and no doubt packed!   

Any suggestions?   

2 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

have a great tapas lunch and get back on to the ship. We want to avoid crowds in the main tourist areas (if that is even a possibility

Thinking you will need to try a more residential area of the city which is close enough to reach but quieter than the more touristic areas. Have you tried internet searching something like "best tapas Barcelona by neighbourhood", but that failing,play around with the wording until you get the results you are looking for.

As for the city being crowded and hot, if you didn't visit during your stay, I can recommend the perfect place to go.  Parc de la Ciutadella, the largest park in Barcelona. Tthere should be lots of info, images and reviews online..  Some nice walking areas, a small number of attractions, lots of shaded areas and a couple of spots where little boats can be hired, one of which is around the "Monumental Fountain" designed by Gaudi which is truly monumental and worth a look.  We spent a very enjoyable 2 or 3 hours in this park, enjoying the shaded areas and the relative tranquility..😀

29 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Thinking you will need to try a more residential area of the city which is close enough to reach but quieter than the more touristic areas. Have you tried internet searching something like "best tapas Barcelona by neighbourhood", but that failing,play around with the wording until you get the results you are looking for.

As for the city being crowded and hot, if you didn't visit during your stay, I can recommend the perfect place to go.  Parc de la Ciutadella, the largest park in Barcelona. Tthere should be lots of info, images and reviews online..  Some nice walking areas, a small number of attractions, lots of shaded areas and a couple of spots where little boats can be hired, one of which is around the "Monumental Fountain" designed by Gaudi which is truly monumental and worth a look.  We spent a very enjoyable 2 or 3 hours in this park, enjoying the shaded areas and the relative tranquility..😀

Thanks as usual edinburgher!  And yes of course I have been searching all morning.   Found a few, but of course we are in Barcelona on a SUNDAY so the gems that I found are closed. 

Thanks re the Parc de la Ciutadella, which we didn't go to last time.  We did go to Parc Guell,  which the rest of our family will wander.  

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

Thanks as usual edinburgher!  And yes of course I have been searching all morning.   Found a few, but of course we are in Barcelona on a SUNDAY so the gems that I found are closed. 

Thanks re the Parc de la Ciutadella, which we didn't go to last time.  We did go to Parc Guell,  which the rest of our family will wander.  

Please do not liken Parc Guell with this one as they are totally different,and if expecting similar you will be disappointed.

Parc de la Cuitadella is a city park with lots of trees, grass and paths with the monumental fountain being the #1 attraction for vistors. It is simply a pleasant place to escape the crowds, heat  and noise of the city for a time, the very reason we visited..

Having said that, and noting your port call will be on a Sunday, expect parks and beaches to be much busier than weekdays as local residents escape the confines of their apartments in favour of open spaces on their days off.

You will probably still find some tapas bars open on a Sunday, just fewer of them and possibly opening later in the day.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

I was in Barcelona a month ago on business trip with colleagues and we had a fabulous tapas meal at El Mercat on C. de Casp in the Eixample neighborhood, followed by drinks at the Whiskeria a few doors down. I'm still trying to replicate the grilled eggplant with honey & goat cheese! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the recommendations. Will add these two for another trip.    

Just yesterday I made a reservation at Nix Tapas and Drinks which had great reviews and appeared a bit closer to the cruise terminal (from what I see google maps) .    

On 7/12/2024 at 2:06 PM, Mimiya11 said:

We spent 5 glorious days in Barcelona in November and since it is a port in our upcoming trip next month, we are hoping to get off the ship, have a great tapas lunch and get back on to the ship. We want to avoid crowds in the main tourist areas (if that is even a possibility) as it will be hot and no doubt packed!   

Any suggestions?   

Hi

did you read this post?

as always

- if the menu is translated it means they are focused on international customers. If not translated, focused on local customer. If only in Catalan.... that's a bonus

- the smallest, the best.

Remember it is normal to entry into a bar, ask for a drink and something and change to another bar.

Sitting down is just an option if going on tapas.

• Thanks 1