My Advice For Saving Money

Posted (edited)

This is the advice that works for me personally.  Everyone else is different.

1.  Book cruises during off peak times (usually while school is still in session if you don’t have children and other off peak times) and way in advance.  Also, book next cruise onboard before current cruise ends.

2.  Bring your own sodas if you want to drink soda onboard.  Most cruise lines allow 12 ounce cans or non breakable bottles. Also enroll in the rewards program as well too to earn points if you are a frequent cruiser.

3.  A lot of shops and specialty dining on board is way overpriced.  You are very likely to find the same thing online or elsewhere sold for less than a fourth of that price.  I always stick with the complementary.

4.  Avoid excessive drinking.  Drinking too much can easily run a huge bill at the Purser’s desk (I personally do not drink at all since alcohol tastes terrible and too much of it makes you go crazy).  Your wallet will thank you for it.  Your local bars charge far less.  Not to mention, some cruise lines allow each guest to bring one unopened bottle of wine onboard.

5.  Book shore excursions independently if you want to go on one, but remember, the ship will not wait for you so make sure it ends soon enough to get back to the ship on time to avoid being left behind.

Edited by NightGuardianAngel

Adding to these thoughts: 

- Sure, balconies and suites are nice -- but consider booking a lower-priced room.  You'll still have a great time.  

- If you have the option, book a cruise to which you can drive.  

- Always arrive in your port city a day ahead (even late the night before is acceptable).  It's the cheapest "insurance" you can buy to make sure you don't miss your sailing.  We still talk about our first-ever cruise, when a burning tractor trailer truck shut down I-95 for several hours.  We kept saying to each other, "Thank goodness we're just headed to a hotel tonight."  

- When you go ashore, bring a couple sodas back with you.  Security will just glance at 1-2 cans, but they inspect bottles more carefully.  Don't get greedy and try to bring back too much.

- You mention rewards programs.  If you want to "get ahead" in these programs, pick one cruise line and stick with it -- most of us don't cruise enough to make it to the top /the best rewards with multiple cruise lines.  

- Yes, everything onboard is going to be quite expensive.  The "included" food is good-to-very-good and bumping up your meal onboard doesn't add a whole lot of value -- save your money and enjoy a meal out once you're back home. 

- Bouncing off that thought, be sure you bring enough sunscreen, Tylenol, socks, etc.  Sure, they sell these things onboard (and in the ports where you'll stop), but you'll pay so much more than at home.  Make a list and check it twice.

- If you do want to go to a specialty restaurant, go at lunch instead of dinner -- the price is lower. 

- Remember you can order a Chops steak or a lobster each evening in the MDR.  This is less expensive than a couple going to the specialty restaurant.  

- Definitely book independent excursions, where it makes sense.  

- Skip the internet package.  If you need to check in at home, do it ashore in bars /cafes that offer free wifi.  

- Read the materials the cruise line provides -- it'll keep you from missing out on things.  I remember watching one well-known You Tuber who bewailed he wasn't aware that certain food venues were "included" in the cost of cruising until halfway through the trip.  Whose fault was that?  

In summary, just don't spend any money onboard. When you do need to spend, just try not to spend with the cruise line. When onboard, you are a captive audience, and everything the cruise line sells is outrageously marked up. Of course, DO pay for the daily service charges onboard, but try to keep all additional expenses to a minimum. I've heard that cruise lines mostly break even on the cruise cabin fare, while most of the profit is in the onboard spending. In a way, the people spending a lot onboard are subsidizing the cruise fare of those who are not spending.

When I go on a cruise, I understand the "game" in which the cruise lines dangle/bombard me with all these wonderful temptations, and knowing the high markups on everything, I can tell myself that the add-ons are almost always not worth it. There's plenty to see and do and eat onboard and still have a great time without spending extra. The cruise lines are attacking/tempting you on vacation, and they know that you are at your weakest to resist their temptations when you are in vacation mode.

Even when you think you're getting a discount, it may just be a way to lull you into spending. For example, on a recent cruise, I was informed that someone "won" $500 in a raffle for free spa certificates. In reality, these were just 5 x $100 discounts and you could only use one $100 discount per spa treatment (i.e. could not use  2X$100 on a treatment so max $100 discount per treatment), AND these $100 certificates were NOT combinable with any other promotions they were running. 

In rare cases, the cruise lines do give good discounts and/or provide good value, so it can be worth it to pay for something nice like an upgraded room or a shore excursion from the cruise line, or to try a specialty meal. Everyone has a price, so it's up to the cruise line to find and set the right price to extract as much money from you while they have you hostage onboard for the duration of your stay. Resistance is futile!