Sitka Transportation

Foggy Bay

Anyone been in Sitka lately on HAL?  Dock out on Halibut Point road or tender from anchorage? Wondering about shuttles, drop off/pick up location, etc.  How many shuttles, how long in line, etc.  Trying to plan the day when we arrive.

Check the schedule for Sitka to see where you'll be and how many other ships will be with you.

Cruise Ship Schedule Calendar Combined Ports (claalaska.com)

I have tendered from the anchorage and been docked out at the cruise terminal. I actually prefer the tender because it drops you right downtown. Three years ago, we were docked with some big NCL ship. Shuttle bus into town wasn't bad. I don't recall a long wait. I think maybe the other ship didn't dock as early so we had all the shuttles.

If you dock at the cruise terminal and take a tour, it will probably load the bus at the cruise terminal.

Going back in the afternoon, the line for a shuttle bus was long and slow because there were people from both ships going back. The transfer point is near the city municipal building, downtown. 

We tendered this year and it was not same easy tendering location of 20 years ago.    The tender took us to an area near the bridge and it felt like under the bridge.  Long lines waiting for a tender are worse than long lines waiting for a bus.

I think you will be better at the dock.  The bus will drop you off at the convention center and you will have a bus driver telling you about Sitka on the way in.  Have you checked the Sitka port schedule?  Huge ships will swamp the town with tourists.  Schedule a ship tour like the Sea Otter Quest and get out of town.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

We tendered this year and it was not same easy tendering location of 20 years ago.    The tender took us to an area near the bridge and it felt like under the bridge.  Long lines waiting for a tender are worse than long lines waiting for a bus.

I think you will be better at the dock.  The bus will drop you off at the convention center and you will have a bus driver telling you about Sitka on the way in.  Have you checked the Sitka port schedule?  Huge ships will swamp the town with tourists.  Schedule a ship tour like the Sea Otter Quest and get out of town.  

Thanks--we lived there 8 years ago and I remember the ships tendering in to the dock near the bridge.  I wasn't sure what the Halibut Point dock/transportation situation is these days.  I'm bringing a group up and we'll walk around town and through the park.  I appreciate your response.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Check the schedule for Sitka to see where you'll be and how many other ships will be with you.

Cruise Ship Schedule Calendar Combined Ports (claalaska.com)

I have tendered from the anchorage and been docked out at the cruise terminal. I actually prefer the tender because it drops you right downtown. Three years ago, we were docked with some big NCL ship. Shuttle bus into town wasn't bad. I don't recall a long wait. I think maybe the other ship didn't dock as early so we had all the shuttles.

If you dock at the cruise terminal and take a tour, it will probably load the bus at the cruise terminal.

Going back in the afternoon, the line for a shuttle bus was long and slow because there were people from both ships going back. The transfer point is near the city municipal building, downtown. 

Thanks so much for this.  I'll check the ship schedule and see if it's posted yet, this far out.  We used to live there--I can't wait to be there again.  Our favorite town in all of Alaska.

9 hours ago, Foggy Bay said:

Thanks so much for this.  I'll check the ship schedule and see if it's posted yet, this far out.  We used to live there--I can't wait to be there again.  Our favorite town in all of Alaska.

Mine, too!  They've managed to keep out the cruise port chain stores, so it feels like visiting a real town.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 5:23 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Mine, too!  They've managed to keep out the cruise port chain stores, so it feels like visiting a real town.

Yes, that's why we loved it--it really is "real Alaska."  I know there's always been resistance to cruise ships--I feel kind of guilty going there via a ship!  I'll be wearing dark glasses with my collar turned up...

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Foggy Bay said:

Yes, that's why we loved it--it really is "real Alaska."  I know there's always been resistance to cruise ships--I feel kind of guilty going there via a ship!  I'll be wearing dark glasses with my collar turned up...

It will be a little hard going incognito coming if there is a mammoth ship like Ovation of the seas with you. We happened to be in Sitka on a smaller Princess vessel on the same day Ovation came in a couple of years ago. 

Be aware, the mass of people all wanting to exit and return to the ship at the same time make the shuttle lines very long. It was a mass of humans! Hopefully you are the only ship in port the day you are there, but the Ovation or other huge ships make a big impact. I would check the port schedule for your date. 

Edited by karatemom2

26 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

It will be a little hard going incognito coming if there is a mammoth ship like Ovation of the seas with you. We happened to be in Sitka on a smaller Princess vessel on the same day Ovation came in a couple of years ago. 

Be aware, the mass of people all wanting to exit and return to the ship at the same time make the shuttle lines very long. It was a mass of humans! Hopefully you are the only ship in port the day you are there, but the Ovation or other huge ships make a big impact. I would check the port schedule for your date. 

Ours is the only big ship in port that day, according to the port schedule.  We have friends in town offering to transport me and my group privately, so we are all set!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foggy Bay said:

Ours is the only big ship in port that day, according to the port schedule.  We have friends in town offering to transport me and my group privately, so we are all set!

Very good!! Much better for you.