great entertainment changes on Resilient Lady (from last year)

Posted (edited)

On our back-to-back on Resilient now, finishing up first week. Will post bigger trip report later, but most notable to us were the welcome entertainment changes. Probably old news to many, but will still share.

1. Most shows no longer need to be booked. I was told by guest services this sailing had 2500 sailors (guests), yet most shows were first come/first serve, lovely (our preference). Didn't have an issue getting in into any shows we wanted. One less thing to stress about (show reservations). Just plan ahead and show up 30 minutes in advance or so. I believe the "extra pay show" (Another Rose or whatever it is) still needs to be booked of course (not planning on seeing that ever).

2. Persephone was great. Last year I remember not enjoying it. Not sure if I was in a crabby mood or if the show was vastly improved. Amazing acrobatics, dancing, singing. It's mostly a standing-only show. Ushers will still push you out of the way when needed (annoying), but they now have performers talk to people nicely as well, which is a nice touch, to clear the way. At least stages don't move, thank god. Performers are incredibly talanted. They have a standing acro couple I don't remember from last year that's out of this world. Also pole, lira, straps, etc., all great. Wonderful mix of circus, dance, music and singing.

3. Pro tip - Persephone is best seen from level 7, the balcony, ADA seats (you can stand as well). You actually get to see an enjoy the entire show instead of being pushed around on the floor from place to place. So nice! Get there early. Both entrances open (port and starboard). As always, they wait till just a few minutes prior to show start to open the door (annoying, but oh well). There are 36 seats on each side. For some reason everybody goes to starboard side, port side is normally much emptier.

4. Do not miss Persephone! Seen it 4 times this week from different spots (both floor and balcony) and planning to see it 4 more times next week on the second sailing. I'm sure there are people that hated it or will hate it. IMHO great show, almost a worthy replacement for Duel Reality (no, the "Another Rose" is not a worthy replacement, sorry, even without having seen it I will say it)

5. Lola's Library was compressed from 3 hours into 1.5 hours and is so much better now! Also mostly acro and singing with just a touch of burlesque (really it's PG-13). Original show design was three 1-hour segments with breaks in between with the idea that people will come or go for each of the segments. In reality people just stayed for all three. Breaks in between were really annoying last year. This year they figured out the original design had flaws (I'm guessing), removed all the breaks, left most of the show in, which made it a 1.5 hour acrobatic burlesque comedy show. Complete blast.

6. The Manor, which is the venue for the Lola's Library, is still one of the worst "theaters" at sea. Bad sight lines on the bottom level. You are either in the front and can't see 50% of the show behind you, or in the back and can't see 50% of the show in front of you because seating isn't tiered. The solution is again to be on the second level (which is not normally my preference). Second level has very limited number of spots from which you can see the show well, but if you are there early enough (30 minutes or so) you should be able to get a decent spot. So

7. Pro tip # 2 - get a good seat on the side of the second level (deck 7), not in the middle (low seats, glass in front of you obstructs view). 

8. Don't miss Lola's Library. I saw Lola's Library 2 times first week and planning to see it 2 more times second week. Great show now.

Many positive changes. Still some issues, but oh well, all cruise lines have them. Glad to see VV is learning and improving.  

Edited by TripsYouMustDo
  • Like 3

Unfortunately need to post quick update. Just like VV to funk up a good thing. We are on our second week of back-to-back on Resilient (first day today, 7/28 sailing). Tonight I was kicked out from the port side of the Red Room balcony line because I was unworthy (while waiting for Persephone). An usher/crew member told me "this side is for RockStars only" (suite guests). I was very surprised since on the last voyage a different usher actually offer people from the starboard side balcony line to move to the port side because it was completely empty.

I contacted guest services for clarification via the app, and got a response from the guest services "we don't have a RockStar section, you are welcome to use any side you want".

So now I am thoroughly confused and fairly annoyed. I am not sure who's right and who's wrong here. Kicking someone out of the section of the theater/showroom because of the (non-existing?) status requirement seems like a serious offense that a crew member could get fired for (and I am sorry to say, I hope they would). On the other hand guest services should be providing correct info, shouldn't they? So the theater staff/crew contradicts guest services. That's VV I know and love.

I will see if I can speak to a theater/entertainment director/manager tomorrow to get to the bottom of this. I don't want to be asked to leave when I have a right to be somewhere.

• Like 1

Got a response and explanation from Box Office Manager. There is no "Rockstars-only" section in the Red Room theater. The usher misspoke. There is a Rockstars-only priority line on the port side Deck 7 of the Red Room entrance, and other guests would be let in after the Rockstars. There is zero signage to indicate any of that and the usher certainly gave me wrong information. He also had no right to make me leave and go to the other side. Supposedly his intentions were good because he thought I would've gotten in quicker on the other side. I asked Box Office Manager to have better signage and better communications. This confusion could've been avoided if they just had a velvet rope with "Rockstar Priority Line" or whatnot on it. Other cruise lines do it (or do it more discreetly). 

We will see if that improves. But just know that you may be let in after Rockstars, and you can sit on either side of the theater for any of the shows.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, neverendingcruising said:

Another Rose is by far the best show in the fleet. I know it is controversial because it is a paid show (if you drink it is worth the cost for the included drinks). 

Thank you, we tried doing it last year but ended up having to wait for and hour and fifteen minutes, and that was way too long. Confusing information was provided to us by the crew and performers on what to do, and by the time the show actually started, my wife and I were both tired and frustrated. We asked for our money back and left. We didn't mind paying $50, we did mind the confusing disorganized disorienting procedure of actually getting to the show start. I should post full review of the experience of *waiting* for the show to give people a picture on what to expect (unless they improved their process).

2 hours ago, TripsYouMustDo said:

Thank you, we tried doing it last year but ended up having to wait for and hour and fifteen minutes, and that was way too long. Confusing information was provided to us by the crew and performers on what to do, and by the time the show actually started, my wife and I were both tired and frustrated. We asked for our money back and left. We didn't mind paying $50, we did mind the confusing disorganized disorienting procedure of actually getting to the show start. I should post full review of the experience of *waiting* for the show to give people a picture on what to expect (unless they improved their process).

Do you mean the drinks reception part beforehand, that forms part of the show with the cast mingling with the audience? Or just that the  suggestion of arriving before doors open isn’t very clear in the app (we had a bigger issue with Its a Ship Show for this).

2 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Do you mean the drinks reception part beforehand, that forms part of the show with the cast mingling with the audience? Or just that the  suggestion of arriving before doors open isn’t very clear in the app (we had a bigger issue with Its a Ship Show for this).

We were on the final segment of the repositioning last year and lucked into striking up a conversation while waiting in line with a couple of people that had been to the show before on the prior segments of the repositioning.  So they somewhat "walked us through" things and got us set up with a cast member so they put us in nice seats on the floor near the stage.  Without that I could see where the setup of that show could be a little confusing depending on how proactive a person is with interacting with the wandering cast members.

8 hours ago, neverendingcruising said:

Another Rose is by far the best show in the fleet. I know it is controversial because it is a paid show (if you drink it is worth the cost for the included drinks). 

It should be controversial - shows should not cost extra and if I ever sail on the RL I will let that be known! 

47 minutes ago, Travel-and-See said:

It should be controversial - shows should not cost extra and if I ever sail on the RL I will let that be known! 

I think several of us already have, they did lower the pricing after the very first sailing but no further changes. The cost does include $30-50 worth of drinks though, 3-4 cocktails and 1-4 glasses of sparkling rose.

• Like 1

I’m booked on Resilient Lady for back to back cruises soon. Was disappointing to see that Another Rose featured on 5 out of 7 nights of the combined itinerary. It feels excessive for a line the heavily promotes “alway included luxury” with entertainment and premium dining included.

If your main USP is that all that is included then it really doesn’t add up that their dinner show isn’t included. 

To those who will point out that “it’s because you get copious amounts of alcohol” I’ll simply say if you’re a non drinker or light drinker then it doesn’t really wash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chrish2 said:

I’m booked on Resilient Lady for back to back cruises soon. Was disappointing to see that Another Rose featured on 5 out of 7 nights of the combined itinerary. It feels excessive for a line the heavily promotes “alway included luxury” with entertainment and premium dining included.

If your main USP is that all that is included then it really doesn’t add up that their dinner show isn’t included. 

To those who will point out that “it’s because you get copious amounts of alcohol” I’ll simply say if you’re a non drinker or light drinker then it doesn’t really wash.

Interesting.  On a 15 night cruise last year they only had Another Rose on two nights.

I don't disagree that it would be nice to have some way to handle some people paying and drinking and others not since I would drink at the show, but my wife would not (and she's generally not a fan of mocktails either).  So even though we enjoyed Another Rose on our first cruise, we'll likely skip it on this upcoming one.

Given the way they pace the show with the food service and the way they move the tables around on the floor, I get why tracking who was drinking and who isn't could be a challenge, though.

4 hours ago, Chrish2 said:

If you are looking at the itinerary 45 days out it will change. We had  Another Rose showing on many nights like you, then once onboard it was only done 3-4 times I think.

On 8/4/2024 at 12:20 PM, Chrish2 said:

Yes I agree - the e-mail I just got yesterday says-

"No nickel and diming when dining, Wifi, tips/gratuities, soda + water, fitness classes, and entertainment are truly included (and never cost extra)."