Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha sailing

kad56

Has anyone on here sailed the Persian Gulf itinerary? I just booked it for the last week of November (the week of Thanksgiving in the USA). Based on the the reviews I'm finding, it seems like a lot of Brits and other Europeans take the cruise, and I'm sure there'll be a bunch of Emirati and other passengers from the region. I'm not expecting a lot of other Americans. I'm hoping there won't be a lot of kids onboard, because I don't think any of those countries have school breaks that week (I actually looked up school calendars for the UAE and UK). I'd love to get some insight on this if you've cruised this itinerary.

12271_231017070757222D4.jpg

Me and DW did this itinerary departing from Abu Dhabi on Virtuosa the end of November 2023.  At least for our sailing there were not nearly as many kids as the Europe sailings.  On this particular cruise we only met one other American couple and it was heavier Euro than even Middle Eastern individuals.  For us, our favorite excursion was the wildlife tour on Sir Bani Yas as the island is owned by Emirati who is an avid animal lover.  Also if you are YC another perk is the private area and food tent along with transport from ship on a golf cart where others have to walk.  We had been to Dubai many times before so we stayed onboard in this port.  Highly recommend and it’s very tolerable temperature wise during that period, considering atm I’m suffering in 120 plus Fahrenheit temperatures daily ha!  Have fun! 

@Pizaz Thanks so much for getting back to me. I don't think a lot of Americans go on this trip so I really appreciate your response.

I've a few more questions:

• What's the best rideshare app in the region? Uber? Careem? I don't really want to spend any time negotiating cab prices.
  • I'm not in YC - do you know if the general beach area in Sir Bani Yas has free umbrellas? I don't see a way to book the beach umbrellas. If not, I'll bring my beach tent, but it's pretty heavy, so I'd rather not.
  • What did you like about the Safari? The reviews I've read online haven't been very positive (people don't like the zoo-like atmosphere, the didn't like the vehicles, it's a short tour....) I like wildlife in general, so I'd love to hear a positive perspective.

Posted (edited)

For UAE, specifically Abu Dhabi and Dubai, we have used UBER and traditional Taxi's.  The Taxis are super cheap, and the Government has strict regulations for their driving fleet (All cabs posted inside they must accept card, the fare must be declared on the meter).  If a Taxi claims otherwise (as also posted on all cabs) regarding their reader not working or the fare isn't logged, by law the ride is now free and no charge to the occupants.  There is no negotiating fares.

I can't speak to the umbrella situation for Gen Pop unfortunately, though last year on this side of the beach it was not at any time overly crowded and I saw plenty of chairs / umbrellas available

We loved the safari!  Anyone who complained about the vehicles was simply being bougie...  They are multiple passenger mini bongo desert runners and the drivers make it fun with all of the mini off-roading once you hit the safari.  There will be parts where you will see Giraffe's etc. and though the driver's aren't supposed to, they curve in to allow you closer access to the animals.  Again HIGHLY recommend it and the safari lasts less than two hours so back to the beach after!

*** On a side note for Pre-Cruise - If you stay in Dubai or Abu Dhabi and want to order food, you will want to download Talabat (like Uber Eats) and basically anything is deliverable and fees make Uber Eats seem like a joke.

Edited by Pizaz
Added info

Posted (edited)

We've done this cruise twice from Dubai, once on MSC Bellissima pre-covid in 2020 and once on MSC Virtuosa post-covid in 2021. The passengers were mostly European; relatively few Americans and few locals. Quite a few Russians. Ship announcements were in 5-6 languages. 

I would mention that regular taxis in Dubai were pretty cheap and they all accepted credit cards. The taxis in Abu Dhabi were also pretty cheap but none of them accepted credit cards.

I'm doing a similar itinerary next February out of Qatar on Celestyal Cruises. It goes to the same ports as your cruise but also makes a stop in Oman. Bahrain and Oman will be new countries for us.

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

Careem. Everywhere.

More than enough sun beds with umbrellas.

I decided to hang around at the beach, but the one from our group who took the safari loved it. Note that you only can leave the beach area with the safari, no walking allowed.

Thank you! Really excited to get first hand info, especially since I'm realizing this itinerary is more obscure than I thought.

@perakcruiser @KINGBOBOFTHENORTH what were the hightlights of the trip for you?

@perakcruiser @KINGBOBOFTHENORTH @Pizaz Do any of you remember if there was cruise shuttle in Doha? I've read online that it exists, and that it's free on some lines, but that MSC charges for it. I don't see it on the excursions options though. Also, if any of you were travelling on American passports, could you confirm you didn't need to get visas ahead of time? That's my understanding, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to figure it out sooner rather than later.

For the Passports, you don’t need any Visa upon arrival.  One thing to note, on at least my sailing, they collected all Passports on board during day 1 and we didn’t get them back until the night before disembarkation.  It was explained it was a UAE thing for immigration.

That makes sense. From what I've read, it sounds like the cruiseline will take care of visas and get the passports physically stamped.

1 hour ago, kad56 said:

@perakcruiser @KINGBOBOFTHENORTH what were the hightlights of the trip for you?

Not relevant for you. The EXPO in Dubai. We did the trip because of the EXPO and added the cruise as a bonus. Overall Dubai is certainly the highlight with so many great places to see. We liked also the Louvre in Abu Dhabi. Visited with Careem. Here I have one thing to add, just because Careem was unbeatable in 2022 that does not mean it is still the same. Better prepare Careem and Uber and compare. 

1 hour ago, kad56 said:

@perakcruiser @KINGBOBOFTHENORTH @Pizaz Do any of you remember if there was cruise shuttle in Doha?

Yes there was. But we could not leave the boat in Doha because of some strange Covid rules at these days.

57 minutes ago, kad56 said:

That makes sense. From what I've read, it sounds like the cruiseline will take care of visas and get the passports physically stamped.

Well, MSC has failed to do so at Dammam and cancelled that stop because of the visa problems. And not tried again since then. 

1 hour ago, kad56 said:

especially since I'm realizing this itinerary is more obscure than I thought.

Actually it is not, the Dubai round is very popular with all European cruise lines and basically all offer it. On board will be a even more international clientele as usual on MSC, but with a clear European majority.