Aurora Borealis (Northern LIghts) on Fall Canada Cruise?

Has anyone ever seen the northern lights on a late September cruise coming out the of the Halifax area?  Just wondering what the chance might be. I know it's not as far north as Iceland, Alaska, Norway, etc. but is a new moon at the end of September, so that's a plus.  🌑😊

Have lived in Nova Scotia all my life, most of it in Halifax. Sadly, have yet to see Northern Lights. There was an extremely unusual display earlier this summer that reached parts of Nova Scotia but not as far as Halifax. Unusual in two ways: typically only seen farther north and in winter. 

I think I need to book a cruise to Norway when the Lights are 'on', but I don't like to be cold!

Hope you enjoy Halifax! You dock downtown and the waterfront is charming!

• Thanks 2

Northern Lights are a crapshoot. My parents didn’t see them on a “Northern Lights” cruise above the Arctic circle in 2019. I didn’t see them on an Alaskan cruise last year. I did see them with the naked eye from my backyard in central Ohio back in May (granted, that was a once in a lifetime event). 

It all depends on solar flare activity, particle density in the atmosphere, and some other science-y stuff my husband could explain a lot better than I. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

I did see them with the naked eye from my backyard in central Ohio back in May (granted, that was a once in a lifetime event). 

This year has been particularly odd with the areas that they have been visible.

That is pretty awesome that you did finally get to see them!