Juneau: Temperatures at Dock vs Nugget Falls (Mendenhall Glacier)

CruiseMom88

Hi,

I've been checking the weather forecast for Juneau.  The temperatures appear quite warm (upper teens & low to mid twenties celcius).  If the temperatures are warm at Juneau port should I expect the same warm or cooler temperatures when we hike to Nugget Falls (Mendenhall Glacier)?  I know we should dress in layers but I'm trying to determine how many layers we may need.

Also does the warmer temperatures increase mosquito activity on the Nugget Falls trail?  

I asked about mosquitoes on the Alaska forum and was advised that the mosquitoes were pretty much non-existent in port and only an issue in what I'll describe as "more wilderness" settings.  Since the Nugget Falls trail appears well groomed should I expect to encounter little to no mosquitoes on that trail?

Thanks for your help.

Last year there wasn’t much difference in temperature. It’s cooler due to shade but since you are exerting a decent about of energy it balances out. It was cooler directly at the falls but  I always keep something to tie around my waist.

I didn’t notice mosquitos at all but I was wearing leggings. 

• Like 1

i would suggest to get a cheap plastic rain poncho.  You never know when it may rain ( even if the temps are warm). I always pack a sweater in my back pack when in port.  Sometimes I use it, just for a bit.  

• Like 1

The difference in temperature between the port and Nugget Falls trail is insignificant.  I had to convert your temperatures to but sounds like low 60s to mid 70s.  For me, I wouldn't be wearing many layers, if any, at that temperature.  Maybe a light jacket for the lower end of that, but no jacket at all for the higher end.  Maybe carry one in my bag, just in case.  Have a rain jacket in case of rain, but if it's gloriously sunny, I likely wouldn't even bother to carry one. 

• Like 1