best beach

shm

ok gang... we will be going to St Thomas for our first time... looks like we have narrowed the beaches down to either coki, Sapphire or Megens Bay.. we don't mind it being crowded... we like the water activities.. which one would you recommend? we will also be there from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.. would we have time to enjoy the beach & maybe go over to St john for a little while? thanks for your help..!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

If you want to go over to St. John for a bit, you should do that first in the am. Come back on the Red Hook Ferry, Sapphire is just a minute or two from Red Hook so you can go there (there are water activities at the rental booth on the beach... kayaks etc.).

--Islander

http://www.*****

thanks again Islander for your advice.. you have been GREAT!!!! Want would you recommend doing while over at St John? island tour? is there a beach at St John that we may enjoy more than shappire? thanks again!

Hello shm,

You could do an island tour, if you enjoy hiking you can do that, a couple historical ruins you could check out easily (easy access by road/short trail) are Annaberg and Cinnamon Bay ruins and of course the beach - lots of nice ones, check the St. John Beach guide at http://www.*****/stjohn/beaches_stj/.

--Islander

If you love to snorkel as much as I do (which is a lot), I would get off the ship and head straight to Trunk Bay on St. John. It is just a magical place not to be missed. The shear beauty of the place is something you would think of as heavenly.

islander, we are at st thomas from 8:00 till 6:00pm.. if we go over to st john as soon as we get off the boat & go to Trunk Bay for a couple of hours would we still have time to enjoy Sapphire Beach for the day..? I have heard how beautiful Trunk Bay is & would love to see it.. however, my kids are going & they need some "activity" to keep them happy all day & I don't think snorkling would do it.. what do you think? thanks again!

Hello shm,

Well, you can't go to St. John and still enjoy Sapphire 'for the day'... as the day would be split between the two locations.

How old are your kids? If they are teens/adults then perhaps Cinnamon Bay on St. John would be a better choice; there are watersports there like kayaks, windsurfers, etc. Also a hiking trail around historical plantation ruins just accross the street. On the way to Cinnamon Bay you would see Trunk Bay from the roadside overlook. On the way back from St. John use the Red Hook ferry and you could stop at Sapphire (which is like 1 minute from Red Hook) if you have time before heading back to the ship. If your children are small; some sand toys, a beach ball, a float would likely keep them busy. ;)

--Islander

Islander, now you have got me confused.. is there a big difference in these 3 beaches? coki.. sapphire.. and cinnamon bay? i guess i'll have to pick between these 3.. thanks again!!

I think they are different. Coki is small, good snorkeling, has a lot of vendors so to me its touristy. Sapphire is a nice beach, also small, has a resort feel. Cinnamon Bay is a long beach, has watersports, hiking trail nearby, has restrooms, a campground - so its 'developed' but still has a very natural feel (its part of the National Park). Three different beach personalities. ;)

--Islander

Archived