Santorini/Mykonos/Voyager of the Seas

On 8/5/2024 at 5:51 AM, Thisguylikestocruise said:

I’m cruising Greek Isles on Odyssey this fall. The “Island of Santorini and Oia village” excursion through RC I’m doing sounds like it uses bus transport round trip, and completely skips the cable car. This is what the description implies. I expect a lot of walking and bought comfortable shoes(Hoka Bondi). Also, I’m working out at the gym trying to build my strength up, because I know this trip will be challenging physically. 

Look at the fine print at the bottom of excursion - says it may drop you off at the cable car - they all say this so be wary.

21 hours ago, rdt10 said:

We have a morning tour booked for next May thinking it would avoid the crowds and heat of the day. How was the afternoon tour? Was OIA still crowded or had they thinned out by then. I'm concerned the morning tour will leave us with a full afternoon back on the ship unless we use the cable car for the return.

Also, how much time did you have in OIA? Did you feel rushed there?

Thanks. Rick

I can't remember exactly how much time we had in Oia but I want to say about an hour. It did feel a little rushed and It would've been nice to have had more time - like maybe 1/2 hour to 1 hour more - but we had 3 stops and a drive around the island so there was limited time available. It was crowded but I don't know if it was more or less crowded than the morning. I honestly think the best way to see Santorini is NOT on a cruise ship and not when there are any in port (if that's possible) as everything was crowded.

5 hours ago, deise17311 said:

Look at the fine print at the bottom of excursion - says it may drop you off at the cable car - they all say this so be wary.

It says depending on weather Athinios port might close, and if that happened the cable car would be utilized.