Barcelona disembark day tours

Need some help There are two of us who would like some help finding a company that will pick up from the cruise, port do a tour of the city, and then drop off at hotel at a reasonable price.  Spain day tours are full except for private which is way too much $.  Shore excursions groups are full, the ship (Norwegian Escape) does not offer post cruise excursions, Can't find one on Get your guide..  We have never been to Barcelona and are unsure about hop on hop off and it seems that that day must be very busy (10/20/24).  We do not really want to go to Monserrat which seems to be available.  We already have the hotel booked in the center of the Gothic area.  I know we can take a taxi and leave luggage at the hotel and then do things on our own but would rather have a guide showing and explaining the first day which would be more relaxing and a good overview..  Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Garmischman said:

the first day which would be more relaxing and a good overview..  Any suggestions?

A perfect overview of the city can be experienced by using a HOHO.  More than one company and more than one route offered but you can switch at certain stops from one line to the second which gives an even bigger overview of this huge, interesting and very diverse city.  By simply remaining seated and staying on for the full routes you would avoid having to wait at stops to reboard should the buses be full. You could also do as some visitors do, and stay on for the first day, but plan where to actually hop off and on next day  depending on which sights you have chosen to mmatch your interests.. Using the HOHO for an overview would be the most relaxing way to begin your visit. Full routes, stops and ticket info online.

Staying in the Gothic area means you can simply step out and walk as it is mostly pedestrianised anyway.  There is much info to be found online for the Gothic area.  You could also google something like "self guided walking tour of Gothic area Barcelona" or join one of the many guided walking tours.

And remember that should you choose to visit la Sagrada Familia, you need to pre-book an entry time.  You can also book that with a guided tour if you would enjoy that. option.

So, taxi from the ship to your hotel or closest drop off point to it. (I hope you chose a hotel on a street which is not pedestrianised)  Using a HOHO, no guide needed, la Sagrada Familia if you choose the guided option, no other guide needed, and if you choose a guided walking tour of the Gothic area, no other guide needed.

And past threads and posts for Barcelona contain a vast amount of info and ideas, so do look for and read a few.

And you said

It seems that that day must be very busy (10/20/24)  What makes you think that?

it is an amazing city.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

Thanks Edinburgher.  You provided a lot of info.  We are looking, if possible, for a guided tours that points things out and provides info on them.  The HOHO option would get us around but we would miss out on earning interesting facts.  Also to prebook a time for LSF or Park Gruen, we would need to know when the bus would get to that location which we would have no idea.  We are trying to get an overview on day 1 and then visit on day 2.  I think it is busy because all the regular excursion companies are booked (as mentioned in the post) for that day for cruise pickups and overview tours.  Are there other companies we can look at?

3 hours ago, Garmischman said:

Thanks Edinburgher.  You provided a lot of info.  We are looking, if possible, for a guided tours that points things out and provides info on them.  The HOHO option would get us around but we would miss out on earning interesting facts.  Also to prebook a time for LSF or Park Gruen, we would need to know when the bus would get to that location which we would have no idea.  We are trying to get an overview on day 1 and then visit on day 2.  I think it is busy because all the regular excursion companies are booked (as mentioned in the post) for that day for cruise pickups and overview tours.  Are there other companies we can look at?

In your position after the overview of day one  (and maybe the HoHo has commentary) I would be booking Sagrada Familia at the start of Day Two.  You would be familiar with where to catch a taxi or metro to get there in good time (you need to be early to admire the outside).  I have said before on this board that I love Rick Steve’s’ audio tours.  As good as a private guide for me.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Garmischman said:

Also to prebook a time for LSF or Park Gruen, we would need to know when the bus would get to that location which we would have no idea

As also advised by ollienbertsmum, you would book your SF  time slot for day 2, ideally in the morning and make it your first stop of the day.  Depending on the combination of tickets you book, interior and exterior viewing could easily use most of the morning, or not, depending on your interest...

From your hotel in the Gothic quarter you would have nearby access to metro, public bus, or simply take a taxi directly there.  Taxis in Barcelona are plentiful and reasonably priced.