Colosseum - on your own or get a guide?

I am interested in people's thoughts on visiting the Colosseum. I've read some reviews where people just walked in on their own and took 1/2 hr and others have actually booked a guide for 2 hrs to show them around. I am thinking we will visit the Colosseum and the other sites nearby. So guide? No guide? If we get a guide should we get them for more than just the Colosseum?

Thanks!

We went in on our own, but I know people who have had a guide and enjoyed it. If time is not a particular issue, you may enjoy a guided tour. Time was an issue for us, so we just went in for about 45 minutes.

If you do go in on your own, consider buying the ticket at the Palatine (even if you do not go in), and avoid the lines at the Colosseum. When we were there in early June last year (unfortunately, on a busy Saturday), there was a minimal line at the Palatine, but a huge line at the Colosseum. I know that is not always the case, but something to be aware of.

Just by the metro entrance across the road from the Colloseum is a hut where you can join a tour for 10 euros plus entrance fee. We had a group of around 10 and had a tour of about 45 minutes.

However big the lines are, you go straight in.

Anyone from the EU travelling with teens, they get free entry under 18, but make sure that you have id (passport).

For what it' worth: Take a Rome tourist on-off bus for the day. Go around for one full circuit and then do it again, stopping at the places you really want to see.

This was not what I did, however, as there was some protest going on in the city and all traffic came to a standstill for hours. But it is what I would have done. susana.

Apologies if this is a duplicate response... my internet seems to be having issues.

Thanks for everyone's input. We will definitely get our tickets at the Palatine and try to find the hut Andym mentioned for a tour.

I had heard the on-off bus tour was sort of long. We have pretty much planned out what to do each day. Would one recommend using this as a mode of transport site to site as opposed to the Metro?

Also, a bit off topic (I will probably start another thread), has anyone been to the catacombs? Are they really dark and/or claustrophobic? Are they worthwhile? My family went to one in another country and it was super dark, hard to navigate (mostly because it was dark and a lack of signs) and really nothing to see.

Thanks everyone!

I had heard the on-off bus tour was sort of long. We have pretty much planned out what to do each day. Would one recommend using this as a mode of transport site to site as opposed to the Metro?

Caflygrl, where are you staying in Rome? Depending on your stamina, you may be very well be able to cover the major sites of Rome on primarily foot, with some use of the Metro. There also the regular bus lines, see www.slowtrav.com/Italy/rome_transportation/bus.htm for some great info. You can also get info from people who have used the bus system on the Fodor's Talk Europe board or TripAdvisor.

We are staying in Rome at the Hotel Miami which is on the Via ****onale. I did not book the hotel so I'm actually not sure where it is in vicinity to the attractions. The consensus seems to be the Metro is pretty efficient and will get you where you need to go. We have three days there so it doesn't appear we will have to rush too much and can walk for most of it.

Thanks for the link Mark. It was very helpful!

We are staying in Rome at the Hotel Miami which is on the Via Naz ionale. I did not book the hotel so I'm actually not sure where it is in vicinity to the attractions. The consensus seems to be the Metro is pretty efficient and will get you where you need to go. We have three days there so it doesn't appear we will have to rush too much and can walk for most of it.

Calflygrl, I think you will find your hotel to be very centrally located, convenient to all sites in central Rome, and others further away via metro. If you click on "Metro" in the upper right corner of that SlowTrav site, it will provide some info on that.

You can look easily find the location of your hotel on online map sites like multimap (http://*****.com/mm86q) or viamichelin (http://*****.com/qq3k9).

If you do the Colosseum/Rome tour on your own, there are a couple of things you should be wary of.

1.) Pickpockets are notoriously smooth and effective on the buses and the Metro. Watch your belongings while on them and, for that matter, anyplace where there is a crowd.

2.) Outside the Colosseum there may be people dressed up in the old Roman soldier outfits. They'll come up to you and happily let you take their picture. Or else be in a picture with you. After the picture taking, they will hold out their hand and expect to get paid. If you're lucky, you may be able to bargain them down to 5 euros.

:o My wife and I have experience in both these situations. Still, Rome is one of our most favorite cities. Have a wonderful trip.

Mark - Thanks so much for the links. I had previously mapped it but couldn't really tell what we were close to. I managed to locate it in the Rick Steves book. :)

DonLou - I have read a lot about pickpockets. I've got 5 months to think about how to protect my money! And we will be aware of the people dressed up.

caflygrl,

The hut is dead easy to find. I picked up the tip from these boards 2 years ago. Looking, facing the the Colosseum with the forum at your back, you will see the metro entrance accross to the left and the hut is to the left of the metro. You get the tour including the entry tickets here. They are official guides and are very good.

i wouldn't be too concerned about pick pockets. Just be carefull with your valuables, purse etc. Leave all your expensive stuff on the ship. The boards are littered with scaremongering. Just keep your wits about you and all will be fine.

Mark,

You mentioned you went to the Colosseum on your own for about 45 minutes.

Did you stand on a long line and where did you purchase tickets

Vivian

Vivian, we bought our tickets at the Palatine. Very short line there; we passed by a huge ticket line at the Colosseum and got in very quickly.

Mark,

Did you go into the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. If so, where did you purchase your tickets and how long did you wait in line. Also is it better to go in the morning or afternoon as far as long lines or crowds.

Thanks,

Vivian

Vivian, we did go to the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel. To avoid the several-blocks long ticket line (it was a Saturday), we booked the VM tour in advance. We booked via www.goporta.com/tickets/Vatican_ticket.htm, but there are instructions on booking via fax at the Vatican web site, http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html. We received a confirmation number, which we showed to the guard at the exit to the musueum, and walked right in to the tour desk. Other than arriving 20 or so minutes early for the tour, no wait at all. This gave us time to walk up to the roof of St. Peters Basilica and briefly see the church before our VM tour. After the tour, you can exit from the back of the Sistine Chapel, which basically dumps you back at St. Peters (a much shorter walk and you don't have to go through security again).

You can also book tours from various tour companies (google or look for other posts on this site where people talk about these).

FYI, I will be unavailable for the next couple of weeks, so if you have more questions, I'm sure there are others that can answer them.

We also purchased our tickets at Palatine (no line) and then passed a huge line to get to the Colosseum. We spent about an hour in the Colosseum (that also has a small museum).

I recommend purchasing the souvenir book that is sold at the street stands which has pictures of the various Rome sites now with plastic overlays showing what they looked like then. The book also includes commentary. The book covers not only the Colossseum, but the Forum, the Palatine and many other Rome sites. We used this book as a guide. I usually hate guides because you have to stand in one place for a long time and hope you are able to hear. The guidebook gave us the opportunity to sit down, rest for a few minutes and learn about the site rather than stand in one place and listen. You can usually bargain the book price down a few euros. I just piced it up off my coffee table 15 euros list price - we probably paid 12 euros.

As to the question of the hop on hop off bus, traffic was pretty heavy in Rome. There is so much to see up close and personal, I can't imagine wasting 2 hours of my time riding around for an overview. (We did that in Barcelona and I was sorry). You just can't feel the ambiance of a city from a vehicle. Rome has something to see around every corner.

Have a great trip. I can't wait to go again.

The Palatine is one of the 7 hills that made up ancient Rome. It is situated along side and overlooking the Forum. This was an area of ancient Rome that was very desirable to live in(Palace comes fron Palatine). Approaching the Colosseum from Via Dei Fori Imperiali you will see the Forum and Palatine Hill on your right. If you enter the Forum and follow the signs you will find the ticket booth. If you have time the Palatine and Forum are nice places to visit. You will get some great views of ancient Rome and the Colosseum from the hill.

Robin, you can walk through the Forum on your way to the Colosseum. The ticket booth is on the right as you exit (toward the Palatine). You can also purchase tickets for the Palatine there. Whether or not it is worth it depends on two things. 1) If the line to get into the Colosseum is very long. 2) How much you really like visiting historical sites. If you are a person who enjoys history or if you don't want to get stuck in a long and possibly hot line(if its busy) while waiting to purchase a ticket because you have other things to do or see it is worth it.

Two years ago when we went to the Colosseum in the beginning of July we paid a total of 46.00 euros for entrance fee and tour guide for the four of us. The Colosseum has tour guide services that you can purchase right on the spot. You need to go to the first few ticket booths to purchase the tour with the admission fee. You need to pass all the people on the long long line and just ignore all the dirty looks you will get as you are doing this. If there are several people together, leave one person on line and the others should check out the tour situation and if it is available, send someone back to get the person in line. That's what we did and it was a great tour.

We were in Rome in May, 2005 and took a combined tour of the Coliseum and the Roman Forum. It think it is pretty important to get a guide for these places (as well as for the Vatican). The guides often have ways of getting you in faster and avoiding some of the lines (e.g. she purchased our tickets for the Coliseum at the Palatine, rather than at the Coliseum). Also the guides can explain the history of the buildings and make sense of some of the ruins. Even with a guide book, you won't absorb the sense of what you are seeing. Our guided tour of the Vatican and the Vatican museum was outstanding. I booked my tours online, we received a confirmation email showing the meeting place and didn't even have to pay till we were at the tour.

I would give you the name of the tour company I used, but I don't know if I am allowed to do so on this site.

Archived