Colosseum - on your own or get a guide?

I haven't experienced it first hand but from what I've researched, it seems you buy one ticket and get in to both the Colosseum and the Palatine. When I looked it up, it was 10euros for admission to both palces. Is the Palatine really a seperate ticket and a seperate cost? Or do you just have to let them know that you want both? :confused:

ehogan: I beleive you can recommend companies in the threads (I've seen tons of people do it), but I don't beleive you can start a thread titled with something like "ABC Company is the Best." Also, you can't post looking for other people to join your tour in the destination boards, you'd have to post it in roll call. :)

RobinG: From my research the forum is free but if you want a guided/audio tour, you would inquire at the Palatine ticket booth.

Caflygrl:

In response to your questions regarding Metro vs. walking, etc., my wife and I visited Rome for three days and found that renting a scooter was the best way around town. Not only was it efficient, it was a blast! It's the only way to get from point a to point b quickly. You do have to have a bit of an adventurous spirit, but these things are everywhere, often outnumbering autos.

They do cost more than using the metro, but we found it well worth the price and created many memories. By the way, we were in our late 30's then, so if you're older it's maybe not for you. But you "sound" young and fun, so go for it if you can afford it! Enjoy your trip.

dkballard: Thanks for the suggestions. I will be in Rome with my parents and older sister and while scooters would be fun, I just can't picture us weaving through the streets on a scooter and trying to keep everyone together! And wouldn't you have to lock it up while you are at the sites? I am excited to see all the vespas in Rome though. Anytime I see one around here, I get excited for my trip! :p

We are now considering hiring a tour guide to take us to the sites because we have one less day in Rome than we had planned. I am pretty sure we can handle it on our own but if we can get more people in our group, the cost per person will be worth it.

Anyone else out there cruising on the Carnival Liberty in Sept 4, 2006 that hasn't been to the roll call yet??? :D

Archived