Cagin Upgrades on the QM2

garycarla

Surprised I have not seen this topic, but how often does the QM2 do upgrades? Do they do them at all?

Any programs where they offer them, at a price?

We are currently booked in a B1 which their web site shows as sold out. Which by itself is a bit strange since I happened to get an email offering the April crossing for that level at a really good price, apparently as they have cabins available??

But, as to upgrades, any ideas?

Surprised I have not seen this topic, but how often does the QM2 do upgrades? Do they do them at all?

Any programs where they offer them, at a price?

We are currently booked in a B1 which their web site shows as sold out. Which by itself is a bit strange since I happened to get an email offering the April crossing for that level at a really good price, apparently as they have cabins available??

But, as to upgrades, any ideas?

the last really good discount i saw was last march and april 05 deep discounts

including grill cats . Never seems to be any rhyme or reason to cunards upgrades although it is my opinion that new customers get the upgrades more often,Just my opinion!!!!!!!!

It seems that upgrades and discounts depend on how well the voyage is selling.

On the transatlantic crossings, it is quite common to be able to upgrade from a C category outside to a B category obstructed or in-hull balcony.

Things seem to get more complicated if the ship is not filling-up by 90 days prior to sail date. In this case, Cunard has been known to "fire sale" cabins at huge reductions. This practice is very frustrating for those who have booked early, at past passenger rates, and have made final payment.

We know couples who have been upgraded, or have received money back from Cunard if the discount price is prior to 90 days before sailing. After this time, it becomes more difficult. However, in an attempt to sell as many cabins as possible, Cunard will at times upgrade people in this 90 day time period to allow more lower priced cabins to become available.

They may also allow "upsells" in this period. You may upgrade to a higher grade cabin for much less than the actual cost of the cabin. Again we know of a couple who upgraded to a Q5 from a P1 for a minimal amount of money.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Alan

Well It happened for me. We booked D7 back in Oct 2005, 2 weeks ago my TA emailed me and we got upgrade to D3 still inside but now on Deck 10. So my fingers are still crossed maybe for an outside.

we booked QM2 D6 for 11/26/06 caribbean ex. nearly 1year in advance. 4 weeks prior to sailing P1 went on sale for very little more than we had paid, we contacted cunard to try pay for upgrade with no luck.when we arrived at pier they had upgraded us to B2 for free.what a winner, we couldnt believe it,

good luck

cheers sean

Too bad they do not allow you to PAY for an upgrade as they near cruise time. NCL has a group that actually calls passengers and offers them a higher level cabin and gives a price, called the UPSELL program. Apparently, it actually gets into "Let's make a deal". The end result is happy passengers, and more money in the bank for the cruiseline.

Getting a FREE upgrade is nice, but seems like they are missing a chance to get some more money that people would not mind paying.

During the inaugural year (2004), we sailed on the 14 day Royal Mediterranean in October of that year and reserved a A1 Deluxe Balcony stateroom. About a week before our cruise we were told that we were upgraded to a Q5. We have no idea how that happened and we didn't ask for fear they made a mistake. We thoroughly enjoyed the palatial stateroom and treatment by our Butler and completely knew that this was a 'once in a lifetime' privilege. The ship is magnificent and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Hope there are others out there who get to have the same experience.

Archived