Car Rentals in St. Maarten

source

Please help!

We are arriving by ship on April 12, 2006 for the day. Any info regarding availability of car rentals at the pier and costs would be greatly appreciated.

We would like to visit Maho Beach (for the planes) and the famous Orient Beach. Thanks! Source

There are a lot of rental cars available in St. Maarten. I suggest running a search here and you'll have lots of info. I would also suggest you consider taking a taxi or use a tour guide instead of renting a car. It's a lot better to sit back and enjoy the ride with someone else doing the driving - and who knows how to find their way around the island.

There are several agencies right on the dock. Just walk to end of pier, hang a rightand they are right past where the buses are loaded. DH chose to rent from Reynolds and we were told that we were getting a 2002 or newer Toyota Corolla, but ended up with an older, beat up Rav 4. Cost us $40 plus $10 for insurance. National brands next door wanted $55 plus insurance. We were happy that we ended up with Rav 4 as we went up to Paradise Peak and aren't sure a car would have made it.

There is one main road on St. Martin, and it is easy to get around. We took off early, stopped at Loterie Tree farm for a couple of hours, did lunch in Marigot and stopped at Maho to watch the planes. Made it back to Phillipsburg with plenty of time. Only downside was trying to find a parking space in Phillipsburg, it was a big traffic jam. If you don't try to drive down the main tourist shopping streets, it's not too bad.

Good luck.

I want to say Dollar, Hertz, and National are there, along with Reynolds. Might be total of 5 there. You don't need a reservation if you get there early. There were 3 ships in port the day we were there.

We checked at Dollar first, they wanted $55 for a Toyota Corolla and most seem to advertise the same thing, a 2002 "or newer" TC. When DH walked down to Reynolds, the guys at Dollar were telling me "you don't want to rent a car from them, they break down, they rip you off, they give you dented cars and then claim you did it". We just figured it was "sour apples" and went ahead and got it. They took us by van to their car lot, a couple of minutes away along with another guy who also rented a Toyota Corolla. When we got there and were told "oh there was a mistake, there is only 1 car here, you can either take a Rav 4 or go to our other site on the other side of town to get a Toyota", we started getting a little concerned but said we would take the Rav 4.

The first one they tried to give us had half the soft top just hanging free. We had 72 year old mom with us, and couldn't see putting her in back with flapping top, so refused that one, and they managed to find one with top mostly attached. It did have several scratches and minor dings on it. I made a real show of taking pics of the car on the lot and even had the guy giving us the vehicle stand in front of the largest dent.

In the end we were happy that we ended up with the Rav 4 as the road to Loterie Tree farm and on up to Paradise Peak were basically dirt and stone, and don't know if the Toyota Corolla would have made it.

We dropped vehicle back off right at pier, no questions asked and no problems whatsoever. We put in $20 in gas and toured the whole island. The main road basically follows the coast and there are nice views the whole way around.

We rented from Reynolds ONCE! Asked for a Jeep with Automatic; got a Jeep with stick, torn up top, glove box that door fell off on first bump, filthy and no gasoline. Better to to with a Brand name or Arthurs!

As I posted earlier, we refused the first vehicle they offered us, and looked around the lot for one that was acceptable which we took. It was dinged up a little, but as the road to Paradise Peak was very tight with foliage hanging over in some spots, we probably added a few scratches of our own, which just blended in.

Only downside was trying to find a parking space in Phillipsburg, it was a big traffic jam. If you don't try to drive down the main tourist shopping streets, it's not too bad.

Good luck.

If there is only one main road how do you avoid those areas? Does anyone know where I can get a good road map of the island?

Hertz and Budget are at the pier. In 2005 we paid $50 plus insurance and tax for a Corolla with less than 12,000 miles on it at Hertz (on 2 separate occasions). Car was in real good shape and everything worked. There also are 3 local places at the pier with hucksters out front; I would tend to avoid them. At least Hertz International watches it's local franchisee; who watches guys like Reynolds?

If there is only one main road how do you avoid those areas? Does anyone know where I can get a good road map of the island?

There is one main road, but when you get into the cities, there are smaller side streets. Very easy to navigate.

Do a google search for ST. Maarten Maps, and you should find several. They will give you one with your rental car, also.

Keep in mind the island is only 37 sq. miles and has lots of water inland, so you could never get too lost.

Hi - I've been trying to book Hertz online and can't get the location to come up. Has anyone booked Hertz online for Philipsburg?? What location choice did you use?? They only give me a choice of Curacao or Bonaire but nothing for Philipsburg.

Thanks.

Hi - I've been trying to book Hertz online and can't get the location to come up. Has anyone booked Hertz online for Philipsburg?? What location choice did you use?? They only give me a choice of Curacao or Bonaire but nothing for Philipsburg.

Thanks.

Use "Phillipsburg Pier" (minus the quotes). Has anyone done Ace Rent a car?

~JS

Hi - after pricing out some of the car rental companies, I booked with Ace. $54 total for a Jeep. Mohammed called me within 2 hours of my online reservation and gave me his cell phone number so that I can call him from the pier where he will be waiting with the car. He does this just to make sure you can find each other. He told me just to call him from the pay phone "on the right side of the pier just past security -- $0.25 -- U.S. quarter". So far, so good. I'll let you all know how it turns out when we return on 4/11.

Hi - after pricing out some of the car rental companies, I booked with Ace. $54 total for a Jeep. Mohammed called me within 2 hours of my online reservation and gave me his cell phone number so that I can call him from the pier where he will be waiting with the car. He does this just to make sure you can find each other. He told me just to call him from the pay phone "on the right side of the pier just past security -- $0.25 -- U.S. quarter". So far, so good. I'll let you all know how it turns out when we return on 4/11.
I'll be waiting for your responce.;)

~JS

WOW!!! Thanks guys....

I guess you guys answered my questions.

I am going with a taxi.

I do NOT want to eat up my precious island time haggling with rental agencies. Not my cup of tea.:p

Taking pictures and all of that....no thanks.

Dont get me wrong, I definitely WOULD have done that if I decided to rent, but whole thing seems way tooooooo much.

We rented from Arthur's which is located just off the pier...a quick 2 minute walk. Car was fairly new, with a/c, cost was $55 which included insurance. I reserved the car on-line and he responded the same day. Would definitely recommend Arthurs. (PS....he also gives you a map).

I read somewhere that booster seats are mandatory on St. Maarten (Of course a wonderful law I fully support). Anyone know whether or not rental companies (budget esp), supplies seats? I'm travelling with a small 7 year old and 4 year old.

We are making a stop at St Martin next month. We are going with a large group and I offered to take anyone wanted to go on a trip around the island. Do the car rental places near the pier also have mini-vans for rental.

We have stayed on St Martin numerous times, so I know the island. There is a parking lot in Phillipsburg. I would finish the day in Phillipsburg by dropping of whoever wants to shop and they can walk or take the water taxi back to the ship.

Archived