Advice on what I’m actually asking for !

Posted (edited)

First time cruise,  I plan to bring my service dog , 

I have submitted the cdc import form, my vaccine and microchip records.  The cruise line is asking for a usda health certificate,  that’s ok with me. But when I call my vet. They say it’s not needed for Canada.  Can someone help me decipher what I am misunderstanding?  I’m more than happy to get anything needed. But need help understanding  .  Is it carnivals requirement? And can the vet do one of the country doesn’t require it? I’m just overwhelmed and confused planning.  I leave in sept for the Alaska cruise out of San Fran. With one stop in Canada. 

Edited by RaggedyAnn s

Posted (edited)

You do need a USDA Health certificate (attached). Canada may not ask for it but Cruise lines expect it at checkin along with the most recent rabies certificate. It is valid for 30 days. Your vet inspects the dog to be sure it is healthy and then fills out & signs the form. Pretty simple.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/APHIS7001.pdf

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Posted (edited)

Thank you, Chris. Your reply is invaluable.

I called the vet  and have an appointment for the 30th. My cruise is on the 6th, and I leave the state on the 5th. They said that since it’s just a trip to Canada, they should have it back right away in the office before I even leave. Does this seem correct?

This will be my first cruise, and I’m really excited but also a bit nervous. If anyone has any tips or advice for a first-time service dog cruiser, I would greatly appreciate it!

Edited by RaggedyAnn s