Complimentary car parking at Dover

Ladycommonsense

We have done several cruises in the last 12 months; some from Portsmouth and some from Dover. Each time we have used the chauffeur service and whilst it is adequate, we would prefer to drive to Dover from our home ourselves and use the complimentary car parking service. I had presumed that there would be facility where the car is taken off us in Dover and parked offsite whilst we are away and then made available for us when we arrive home. However having read the Saga info’ it looks as if we have to park the car ourselves and walk with our luggage to the terminal, which could be some 20 minutes. Have I understood this correctly? I would really appreciate it if those of you who have taken advantage of this service can explain to me a little better as to how it works please.

Last year our car was taken from us outside the terminal, and on our return it was only a few minutes walk to collect the keys and then pick up  the car. Easy.  

we drove ourselves to Dover on our first cruise last year - the bags were dropped off with the staff,  then drove the car to some more staff 100 m away, who then checked over the car then took it away to park, we had a short walk to the terminal that is all. The car was waiting for us on our arrival back to the UK.

We chose to use the chauffer service this time, it was better and we didn't have to drive down the day before and stay in a hotel - we have a way to travel and the fear of missing the sailing was not worth trying to make the journey on the same day. Traffic Jams, Road blocks etc. it is your responsibility to make sure you get there in time.

It is a painless process, if in doubt give them a call, they are always very helpful, i have found.

4 hours ago, tiggis said:

Last year our car was taken from us outside the terminal, and on our return it was only a few minutes walk to collect the keys and then pick up  the car. Easy.  

Thank you  for taking the time to reply - this is what I hoped would happen. Does this affect the time you are allocated to leave the ship? One of the main advantages for us would be being able to get off very early instead of waiting around until 10.30 or later.

4 hours ago, DohaBreeze said:

we drove ourselves to Dover on our first cruise last year - the bags were dropped off with the staff,  then drove the car to some more staff 100 m away, who then checked over the car then took it away to park, we had a short walk to the terminal that is all. The car was waiting for us on our arrival back to the UK.

We chose to use the chauffer service this time, it was better and we didn't have to drive down the day before and stay in a hotel - we have a way to travel and the fear of missing the sailing was not worth trying to make the journey on the same day. Traffic Jams, Road blocks etc. it is your responsibility to make sure you get there in time.

It is a painless process, if in doubt give them a call, they are always very helpful, i have found.

Thank you  for taking the time to reply - we have used the chauffeur service but still prefer to go independently even though it means an overnight stay the evening before we embark. When you drove yourselves did it affect the time you were allocated to leave the ship? One of the main advantages for us would be being able to get off very early instead of waiting around until 10.30 or later.

38 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

Thank you  for taking the time to reply - this is what I hoped would happen. Does this affect the time you are allocated to leave the ship? One of the main advantages for us would be being able to get off very early instead of waiting around until 10.30 or later.

Yes - having self-driven on two occasions we were one of the first groups called to disembark  both times - around 8.30 I think.  Maybe you could be earlier if you asked - but it would depend on CPS staff being on available to return your keys and tell you where your car is. Of course, another advantage of driving is that, subject to traffic, you can arrive and embark earlier than most of those who are chauffeured

36 minutes ago, tiggis said:

Yes - having self-driven on two occasions we were one of the first groups called to disembark  both times - around 8.30 I think.  Maybe you could be earlier if you asked - but it would depend on CPS staff being on available to return your keys and tell you where your car is. Of course, another advantage of driving is that, subject to traffic, you can arrive and embark earlier than most of those who are chauffeured

This is so very helpful, thank you. Based on everything you have told us we are now going to take the option of driving ourselves and staying overnight and leaving the car in the car park. Very much appreciate you sharing your experience - thank you again.