Vegan food on Azamara ships

aaaaa

Recently disembarked Journey. The vegan menu for dinner listed these as among the options:

Honey Grilled Chicken and Citrus Salad

Vegetable Consomme with barley, beef cubes, scallion, chives

Mushroom and Sausage Parcel

Penne Pasta with Mushroom, Leek and Sour Cream Sauce with Pecorino Cheese

Notice anything awry? The dining room staff explained this by saying that the items that sounded as if they were not vegan were in fact vegan. Perhaps so, but the marketing leaves much to be desired.  Nevertheless, careful item selection could create a vegan meal in the main dining room and at the buffet.

13 hours ago, aaaaa said:

Recently disembarked Journey. The vegan menu for dinner listed these as among the options:

Honey Grilled Chicken and Citrus Salad

Vegetable Consomme with barley, beef cubes, scallion, chives

Mushroom and Sausage Parcel

Penne Pasta with Mushroom, Leek and Sour Cream Sauce with Pecorino Cheese

Notice anything awry? The dining room staff explained this by saying that the items that sounded as if they were not vegan were in fact vegan. Perhaps so, but the marketing leaves much to be desired.  Nevertheless, careful item selection could create a vegan meal in the main dining room and at the buffet.

I'm still confused - are they saying when it says "chicken" on the vegan menu, it is then implied to be like "soy chicken'" or some substitute?

"I'm still confused - are they saying when it says "chicken" on the vegan menu, it is then implied to be like "soy chicken'" or some substitute?"

That's probably what the staff meant, and, probably, for those items the kitchen uses vegan substitutes.  But I noted that some other items listed on the menu included the word "Beyond" in front of the meat-sounding item (e.g., "Beyond Sausage,"), indicating that that particular item was indeed not meat sausage but instead was the non-meat substitute sold by the Beyond Meat company. So, in the end it may be that all items on the vegan menu (even the "chicken" and "beef") were in fact vegan, but the menu is quite unclear.

22 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

"I'm still confused - are they saying when it says "chicken" on the vegan menu, it is then implied to be like "soy chicken'" or some substitute?"

That's probably what the staff meant, and, probably, for those items the kitchen uses vegan substitutes.  But I noted that some other items listed on the menu included the word "Beyond" in front of the meat-sounding item (e.g., "Beyond Sausage,"), indicating that that particular item was indeed not meat sausage but instead was the non-meat substitute sold by the Beyond Meat company. So, in the end it may be that all items on the vegan menu (even the "chicken" and "beef") were in fact vegan, but the menu is quite unclear.

Sounds like it - and as such, would agree with your original comment that the marketing leaves something to be desired...🤔

• Like 1