Can you sell me on the Summit for Alaska.

wcook

On 8/24/2024 at 7:41 PM, bigbenboys said:

I just dont see what people see in Glacier Bay over Hubbard Glacier. Photo of Hubbard. Also what is nice about Seward Alaska is spending a few days in Seward and doing some great excursions to see wildlife. We did this sailing on Millie a few years ago.

20220604_151210.thumb.jpg.7409bbb0ccb578768414ebdb73347b95.jpg20220604_153522.thumb.jpg.d13ca1f4efc02fb3d02e72a1745f540b.jpg

But have you been to Glacier Bay? It's a Bay with lots of glaciers. Princess has a naturalist that spends all day out on deck with passengers with good binoculars that get passed around. Southbound Princess does both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. The whales, otters, seals, and eagles in Glacier Bay are not to be missed. The naturalist had it down to the minute practically when you entered various habitats. Glacier Bay has to be seen to be believed.

35 minutes ago, Random Cruizer said:

But have you been to Glacier Bay? It's a Bay with lots of glaciers. Princess has a naturalist that spends all day out on deck with passengers with good binoculars that get passed around. Southbound Princess does both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. The whales, otters, seals, and eagles in Glacier Bay are not to be missed. The naturalist had it down to the minute practically when you entered various habitats. Glacier Bay has to be seen to be believed.

With over 7 Alaska cruises between Princess, Royal and Celebrity yes been to Hubbard, Glacier Bay, and Tracy arms Fjord. I like seeing the massive wall of ice and hearing the calving that interest me.

While the scenery is nice it is not that different than living in the Pacific Northwest. The other day we had a deer eating my flowers. Had a bear climb over our fence a few years ago. Abandoned Eagle's nest found with many cat collars. We have bobcats roaming in the neighborhood at night. 

11 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

While the scenery is nice it is not that different than living in the Pacific Northwest. The other day we had a deer eating my flowers. Had a bear climb over our fence a few years ago. Abandoned Eagle's nest found with many cat collars. We have bobcats roaming in the neighborhood at night. 

Yeah, well, I live in Ohio! lol! 😄 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I feel you get a better idea of Alaska by sailing in or out of Seward. Out of Seattle you dont get a true inside passage. Seattle sails on the outside of Vancouver Island. If you have the time in Vancouver to see Capilano Suspension Bridge Park or Granville Island Public Market.

Thanks for the info @bigbenboys.   We did an AK cruise years ago on Princess that was one-way from Vancouver to Whittier. Took a bus transport from Whittier to Anchorage where we picked up our rental car.  Then drove to Denali for our own 1 week land tour. Doing this on our own was much better than the land tours offered through Princess because it allowed us the flexibility to stay an extra day in Talkeetna and extra time at Denali for hiking.  At Talkeetna we wanted a flight-seeing trip  that went around the top of Mt. McKinley - but on the first trip the clouds/weather moved in and so the flight had to land.  We just stayed an extra day to try the experience again -- second time, we made it!  Also in Talkeetna, we spent a day with a guide salmon fishing in a glacier-fed river.  Great little town.

I looked at the Celebrity land tours offered pre-cruise and just like Princess, they don't really appeal to us.  Plus they do the same Talkeetna/Denali itinerary that we already did to much greater detail/length via our own land tour.

I appreciate your idea of a 'do your own' itinerary exploring the wilderness around Seward.  Your pictures are beautiful.  Thanks for the suggestions on what to do/see in Vancouver.  I can't remember what we did on our last trip -- so guess it is time to revisit.

I haven't sailed on a Celebrity "M" class ship yet.  What cabins on  the Summit would be good for an AK cruise?