Comparing Royal C. to Carnival

Punu

I went on my first cruise last year... It was Carnival. I gotta say it was great! I had a great time. But this year my friends want to take a cruise in august. Someone told me that Royal Caribbean has a lot more things to do on board and better excursions, but they have smaller rooms...(i dont care how big the room is) We are all 24-32 years of age and love to be very active, drink and gamble... Just want the opinion of those who have taken both cruise lines and let me know if Royal is worth trying before doing carnival again.

-thanx

The top of the line Royal Caribbean ships are IMO better than the top of the line Carnival ships. I loved the Conquest, but I don't think it compares to the luxury and amenities of the top RC ships.

The top RC ships have things like an ice rink and a rock climbing wall. Won't find that on Carnival.

Then again, RC is a LOT more expensive than Carnival. So it depends on whether it's worth it or not to you.

I'm plain and simple, so Carnival is just fine for me!

Punu..My husband recently sailed with RCCL after 4 times with Cranival...He and his brother took a 4 day cruise last month.

He said the only thing he liked better on RCCL was the food, he said the party life was terrible....all the bars either closed very early or open with hardly no people in them. He thought it was much too laid back for him.

He said he would NOT sail with RCCL again, until he was too old to party:D

We sailed Carnival Glory in Jan. 05 and RCCL Legend of the Seas in Dec. 05. We actually paid a little less on RCCL than on Carnival because we went with a large group. I personally like the dinners better on Carnival--choices and presentation were better. Service was great on both cruiselines. They both had plenty of activities although RCCL did have the rock climbing wall and the mini golf course (in bad shape--we never used it) that Carnival didn't. The line was always long at the rock wall so we never used that either. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I have to say that I liked Carnival just a little bit better than Royal. We sail with Carnival again this Dec on the Triumph. Can't wait!;)

Kathy in Maine

I've been on 18 Carnival cruises, and ONE Royal Caribbean.

Here's my honest opinion:

Every Carnival ship I've sailed on has always been "FUN". Lots of activities, lots of nightlife, plenty of mingling around the pool area, & have always met lots of new people, made new friends, etc.

A group of friends asked me to join them on RCCLs Serenade of the Seas a couple years ago. While soaking up the sun poolside, my friend sat up, looked around, & said "somethings missing!" We both agreed that the main pool area seemed too quiet. so we took a closer look around and noticed that most people were either sitting in a shaded area taking a nap, reading a book, or standing at the railing just enjoying the view. Nothing wrong with that we said, but on Carnival ships, people are usually participating in the poolside games, are up dancing, or just mingling getting to know thier fellow passengers.

We came to the conclusion that day that it appears as though people might cruise on Royal Caribbean to have a "relxing" vacation. while people cruise on Carnival to have a "Fun" vacation.

we also both agreed that the food on both lines were comperable. (however I liked the layout of the Lido deck on Carnival more so than on RCCI)

Don't get me wrong, the Serenade of the seas is a Beautiful ship, but IMHO, Carnivals' got more "FUN":-)

Hope this helps.

Annie

:D ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It's carnival for me!!!!!!!!!

thanx for the info... I really really really appriciate it.

If you look at my website of pics you'll see i'm def a party person and it doesnt sound like RCCL would be our type.... again,

thanx!

Please don't label RCCL as a boring line just because your cruise wasn't. I just got off RCCL's Monarch of the Seas and believe me the ship was partying until the wee hours in multiple places.

I hate comparing cruise lines because each and every cruise line has their niche'! Every cruise line has their good weeks and their bad weeks. Every cruise line sells a particular product that may or may not suit the cruiser. That is why it is so important to do your homework when selecting not only a cruise line, but a cruise ship. The Spirit class ships of Carnival seem to have a different (more subdued) feel than the other class ships in the same cruise line.

There are some things you can compare, but they are really limited.

1. The size of the cabin. (That matters to some people, it doesn't to others.)

2. The extra amenities (like rock climbing and ice rinks) on some RCCL ships. (That matters to some people, it doesn't to others.)

The rest is personal preference. Food, service, music, "fun" are some of the things that can be found in abundance and in good quality on both Carnival and RCCL.

Just as it is unfair to judge all the RCCL as "not as much fun" from one cruise, it is unfair to Carnival to judge the entire line from one cruise.

Again, people need to do their homework. Select the best product for you and go for it. Thank goodness not everyone wants the same thing, or it would truly be a boring world!!

The two lines really offer a very similar product. The key is choosing the right ship within the line, and the itinerary also makes a difference. Royal Caribbean to Alaska vs Carnival to the Bahamas is two entirely different animals - (sedate vs boisterous), Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas vs Carnival Glory are not comparable, just as Carnival Fantasy vs RCCL Voyager of the Seas are not a fair comparison. I really enjoy them both, and always check both lines when we are planning. Often, RCCL's pricing is just as good.

I think I agree that Carnival does have a bit more of a party atmosphere, but until I have sailed all the classes on both lines, my comparisons won't be complete ;) We are trying Carnival's Spirit Class this summer to compare with RCCL's Radiance class, as those seem to have the most similarities. When we get back, I will don my flak jacket and try to do a true comparison.

IMHO....I love RCCL....it's worth the extra money.

I am cruising Carnival (in 18 days, can't wait!) on this trip due to the itinerary. Curious to see how much Carnival has improved compared to my last cruise with them in 1989....when I said I would never go back to them.

I say a trip is what you make it. All cruise lines offer different options...and you need to pick the one best suited to your needs at the time.

And for the record....there was ALWAYS a party going on on RCCL....never had issues there!

I just posted a review of my SOS trip, on here and the RCL boards... it was just a short cruise, so I can't tell you about the newer ships... but it's there for the reading. Also, we never had a problem finding a party at night :D

I think it really depends on several things - the ship, the time of year & even the port of departure! I've been on the Carnival Elation & the RCI Rhapsody of the Seas, and found both of them to be very similar. The main difference I found was the layout of the ship (I thought the Elation was a little easier to navigate!). The crews on both ships were friendly, the food was delicious & there was about the same amount of partying.

Do a little research & see what you can find on the particular ships you're thinking of sailing & compare them before you decide. I'm doing that right now, hoping to book a 3rd cruise soon!!

Have fun, whatever you choose!

Im a "brand" person when it comes to big purchases. So being we loved Carnival so much the first time around, it has been hard (hasn't happened yet) to try a different brand.

I think the itenerary, length of cruise, and time of year all are factors in the atmosphere on a ship.

I talked to someone on our last cruise that said they were a TA and flip flop between the different lines. It seems that whatever cruise they are on (or were just on when on land) is the one that they remember having better food, entertainment etc...

After 5 cruises on CC we decided to try RCCI. I must admit that it was an older ship, LOS. But we still had to pay $1.500.00 pp which is much more than we have ever paid for a balcony on CC. I agree that the golf course was in sad shape and had long lines as did the rock climbing wall. Only two can climb at a time. The Windjammer (restaurant) was under repair and was only half open. There were portable buffetts near the pool. CC has many more extra dining choices. The passengers on RCCI were always complaining about something . . spots on glass. dirty ceiling, worn area by the door . . . on and on. I noticed none of these things. CC passengers seem to be happier that they are cruising and are not so negative. CC has bigger cabins with REAL beds that are sooo comfy. RCCI has a beautiful solarium and I loved the sliding glass balcony door. I liked having an actual table on the balcony. You could sit and enjoy a HOT breakfast. CC offers cold menu only. Both had excellent service, food and activities to keep us very busy. RCCI had singing and dancing in the dining roon only three times and we only received three towel animals. CC provided these extras every night. People who rave on about how much better RCCI is than CC remind me of the story THE EMPERIOR'S NEW CLOTHES!!! How else could you justify spending $1,000.00 more for pretty much the same cruise. The demographics are definately more the same than different! I would choose either cruise line again if the prices were equal. But, for the money, Carnival wins hands down.

I haven't been on a Carnival cruise yet, but I've been on 3 with RCCL. I was in my ealy 20's, prefer "fun," active vacations, and I had MORE than enough to do on my cruises. In fact, I had to write out a daily schedule of activities I wanted to do in order to fit it all in! I can't compare it to Carnival yet, but I was 100% thrilled with my RCCL vacations, and I wasn't bored for a second. There was always something fun to do onboard.

I have been on both plus and Princess and I like them all. We have never had a bad experience on any of them. We are sailing on RCCL, Serenade this October to Hawaii and I cannot wait..

You are on vacation so how bad could any ship be??? DH and I like trying new lines so when we shop we shop for price and destination. We just go with the flow and whatever ship we end up on we are happy with. I have not been a cruise that I have not loved!!!!! Some pick their cruises based on ship ammenities, ship size,ship food, and there is nothing wrong with that, it is all in what you are looking for....

Just my thoughts!!! Chanda :)

When we first started discussing this cruise in my family I would bring up all the RCCI stuff I found, my sister was pushing Princess, and my dad was set on Carnival. We all had our own reasons for wanting a certain line and a certain cruise. Honestly, It all came down to stops for me and my siblings, and price for my dad (he is paying for the whole thing). My sister wanted Belize and I wanted Grand Cayman. My brother just wants ports he can drink at (he's 18) My dad wanted something affordable. For Christmas week Carnival was the winner!!! There are so many factors when choosing a certain line or certain ship or certain stops. That is why the posts about ALL passengers on one cruise line being the same are so amusing to me. It seems so random! In all honesty I would still like to try out all the cruise lines someday - some now some when I'm older. I'm only 26 and like party so the more quiet relaxing ships are not for me at this point. I can't wait for the Freedom of the Seas to sail and then hear the reviews. That is the one I have my eye on the most.

When we first started discussing this cruise in my family I would bring up all the RCCI stuff I found, my sister was pushing Princess, and my dad was set on Carnival. We all had our own reasons for wanting a certain line and a certain cruise. Honestly, It all came down to stops for me and my siblings, and price for my dad (he is paying for the whole thing). My sister wanted Belize and I wanted Grand Cayman. My brother just wants ports he can drink at (he's 18) My dad wanted something affordable. For Christmas week Carnival was the winner!!! There are so many factors when choosing a certain line or certain ship or certain stops. That is why the posts about ALL passengers on one cruise line being the same are so amusing to me. It seems so random! In all honesty I would still like to try out all the cruise lines someday - some now some when I'm older. I'm only 26 and like party so the more quiet relaxing ships are not for me at this point. I can't wait for the Freedom of the Seas to sail and then hear the reviews. That is the one I have my eye on the most.

You will definitely have a party crowd (and lots of families) on a school vacation week! :D Just be prepared for LOTS of kids running around & don't let it ruin your fun! Oh - and Merry Christmas! Sailing over a holiday will certainly be different than how you usually celebrate the holidays, won't it!

Sha

You will definitely have a party crowd (and lots of families) on a school vacation week! :D Just be prepared for LOTS of kids running around & don't let it ruin your fun! Oh - and Merry Christmas! Sailing over a holiday will certainly be different than how you usually celebrate the holidays, won't it!

Sha

Thanks! It will be so much fun. I am looking forward to it a lot!!! The kids don't bother me either. I teach so I have 158 at school and then 1 at home. Being surrounded by kids is the story of my life! :rolleyes:

I hope there is a bit more of a party atmoshpere. I hear the Miracle is a bit more laid back. I don't want drunks everywhere, but I hope the disco and bar are open past 9pm! :D

Ok with three cruises under our belts we are now looking ahead to booking our 4th. We have done 2 RCCL and 1 Carnival.

I am looking at ITNs and unless things change too much it will be a Carnival cruise for us next time. They seem to have more variety in the Eastern and Southern ITNs and we can leave from Florida instead of having to fly to San Juan.

We have sailed on ships that were launched after 2002 so all the ships were wonderful. Both RC cruises had better wait staff in the dining room. But I think this is a ship to ship thing, and just varies.

I still think that the food presentation and offerings were much better on the CC Miracle than the two RC ships, as well as the entertainment options. Carnival wins hands down on the nightly shows.

I personally like a quieter pool area- unlike a previous poster. On the Miracle I just moved to a different area where the band wasn't so loud. The Serenade had a much more pleasing pool band than did the Explorer. I like the elegance of the RC ships, too. Carnival can be a bit too much:eek: .

There usually isn't that much difference in price, just a couple hundred $.

But we really do like the sliding doors on the RC CL ships. The ones on the Carnival ships suck. Also we cruised both times during the second or third week in March and the smaller children were more evident on Carnival. On the recent RC cruise parents and kids seemed to be together when in public places on the ship, and we did not encounter a single misbehaveing child. This was not the case on the Miracle.

For us it comes down to the itinerary. That's what we will use to decide our next trip.

LHP & dznymom are right.

Decide what's important to YOU for your next cruise, then do spome research on a couple different ships & make your decision from there.

If I'm STILL having a hard time deciding after that, then I'll usually choose the itinerary that's most appealing.

Which ever you choose . . . ENJOY!

Annie

We have done one of each.

We went on the Carnival Holiday in March of 2004 for our first Cruise (only 4 nights). We left 8 hours late which I believe set the whole trip off bad. We are late night party people, and when we tried to go to the bars after dinner (late seating) they were empty. It was not what I was thinking it would be and was thinking we would not so this again; my dh's family was planning a cruise on the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas. In October of 2004 and we decided to go. We had a great time. A couple that we road the hotel suttle with seemed to be at the same bars we were the whole crusie, so we at least had some one to make small talk with. We also meet an other couple that we ran into a lot during the crusie. From these two cruises I would say that RCCL was better; however I think it has to do with the ppl on that crusie. I have booked on the Carnival again for Christmas 2006, so I don't have to worry about what is for diner or who is cleaning up. This will be the first cruise for the kids, 14 & 21, and they are with that is their Christmas for the year.

I like to try different cruise lines...and up next: Carnival

We've done 2 RCI, and 2 Princess cruises....all were great. But I've come to decide a few general RULE OF THUMB's are these:

Shorter cruise equals:

Younger passengers

More of a party atmosphere

Activities geared toward younger crowd

Longer cruise equals:

Older passengers

More sedate lounges & entertainment

Larger Ship equals:

More families

More activities

More choices in entertainment

More lines

Smaller Ship equals:

Smaller lines

Less families

Less choices

Better quality but somewhat limited entertainment

Not hard and fast rules, but generally speaking.

I'm looking forward to sampling Carnival.

I have to ask even though it is somewhat off topic! Since you have gone on Princess- what did you like about the cruise? How did you find your fellow passengers? Are they stuffier than those on your RC cruises? We are 50 and 51 so we do like some night life!

We have done 7 day in March all 3 times, newer ships,so those factors are about the same for both lines.

We really liked our Miracle cruise- hope your Carnival cruise goes well!

Archived