Vesuvius and Pompei

I was considering going to Vesuvius and Pompei in one day. It appears that they are on the same train line. Has anyone done this? Also, it is necessary to take a bus from the Ercolano station to Vesuvius. Does anyone know how long this bus ride is? Thanks for the help.

I didn't visit Vesuvius when I was in that area last year, so I can't say too much on that note. A friend who visited did complain about how in going up the volcano every so often there would be another ticket to buy, which was annoying to have to keep paying more and more. The volcano itself was impressive.

The entrance to the Pompeii scavi (excavations) is a short walk from the circumvesuviana train station. Trains run quite frequently. Near the ticket booths for the excavations are boxes with free maps and a guide to the site. The site is huge and you could easily spend the better part of a day wandering around exploring the buildings. We spent about 3 hours there and only saw a small fraction of the entire area. There's only one restaurant on site, so be sure to either bring water/food with you or eat before you enter. Once you leave the site, you will not be allowed to re-enter unless you buy another ticket. If I recall correctly the entrance fee for adults was 10 euros.

When my husband and I went to Pompei we hired a private guide. He was invaluable! We did not preplan it, they are available at the site and very good. We would have missed so much if it weren't for his guidance. Can't remember what we paid, only know whatever it was it was worth it.

Just a thought.

Do not miss Pompei, it's even better than Ephesus(SP).

Archived