Voltage on Board

flightiebel

Some ships (the Royal Princess was one) have both 110v and 220v outlets. This is useful if you have a number of electronic doo-dads which need charging. If they are dual voltage you can use whichever outlet is available. Of course you'll need to have the right type of plug adapters. The 220v sockets I've seen require the 2 small round plugs spaced about an inch apart.

I see the OP is from Sydney, so I'm going to guess you have 220v at home. I haven't been on the Diamond so I don't know if there actually has both outlets. I tried searching the Princess website and only found references to 110v outlets.

115V receptical is a standard US receptical.

220V recetical is a recessed type.

If you need 115V from the 220V receptical, then you may need an adaptor

AND a transformer. Will need to step-down the 220V to 115V

Sorry, I am not familiar with the type of recepticles used in Australia.

Wish that I could be of more help.

So are the sockets USA ??? I need to get an adapter for the usa is that right?

The 110v sockets are typical US sockets - 2 flat prongs. The 220v sockets are typical European plugs. I've included a picture of the plugs I have used on previous cruises.

Plugs.jpg.c03e49184a41a69cb78a09a2554edb2e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Posters above have said that the Golden, the Diamond and the Royal all have dual voltage (110 and 220) outlets. However, in three calls to Princess, I have been told consistently that only 110 outlets are available on any Princess ship.

Who's telling it like it is?? (Just returned from another cruiseline and dual voltage was available, so I'm open to the idea that Princess has both, but the customer service reps don't have that information.)

On the Star, Golden & Island Princess we only had one place with two plugs to use. You may want to consider taking a "Squib" or power strip with you if you are going to have more than one thing at a time to charge/plug in. Especially if one of the items covers other plugs!

Peggy

Just got back from the Island Princess and Roses2 is correct. The two plugs are close together and often only one plug would fit.

Did an Asian cruise on the Diamond last Fall and I know it had 110v with US sockets. Don't remember if it had 220v. Here's a poor quality crop from a photo of the setup.

Diamond%20Socket.jpg

Well, the Royal Princess had both. There was only one actual outlet but it had both a spot for both 110v and a 220v plugs. The picture I attached in a previous post shows actual plugs I've used in the past. Now the Royal has left the fleet and it's been a while since I've been on any other ship. Quite honestly I don't recall what they had. Whatever the situation, if you need additional outlets you should take either a small power strip or an extension cord which can handle multiple plugs. Me? I always have an extension cord packed.

I only need one 220v outlet for a hair styling appliance purchased in Europe -- I don't need to hook several things up at the same time. All I want to know is whether a 220v outlet is there on any of the currently sailing Princess ships -- or not. Several folks have said yes, several have said no. (Princess phone answerers say that no currently sailing Princess ship has 220v oultets, but since several Cruise Critics say otherwise, I have reason to doubt.)

More input would be great. Anyone on board a Princess ship right now who could report or post a picture of those pesky outlets?

[i do have the necessary adapters for the different styles of prongs/plugs.]

I suspect you will be a lot happier if you assume only US style 110v.

Typically the dual-voltage outlets are low powered only (shavers), which will have a circut breaker that will trip with a hair dryer.

-----Burton

Thanks, Burton,

What you say makes sense. Just returned from the Oosterdam, which had a dual voltage shaver outlet in the bathroom and a second 220volt European style outlet at the desk. It was not designated as a shaver outlet, so I assumed it was a full power outlet--didn't have an appliance with me to test that assumption.

I always travel in Europe with a European 220v appliance after burning up a converter and hairdryer my first morning in Switzerland years ago. We spent our first morning that trip shopping the electric stores for a replacement--an interesting introduction to the local culture. That appliance is now my favorite, so I look forward to being able to use it whenever I can--but apparently that won't happen on the Golden Princess!

goforfun,

I've spent all day today trying to source a US 110 volt hair straightener / iron for my daughter and I to use on our cruise this summer. Last year I tried to use our normal GHD ones (with an adaptor) and they didn't heat up. You can't imagine the problems I'm having trying to source something in the UK. At the moment I can find two brands being sold over here Chi (@ $167 plus delivery) and HAI Stik dual voltage (@ $150 plus postage). I really wish there were power outlets in the cabins that would accept British appliances, because this is a nightmare.

PS: We'll be the family with wandering round with frizzy hair! :D

goforfun,

I've spent all day today trying to source a US 110 volt hair straightener / iron for my daughter and I to use on our cruise this summer. Last year I tried to use our normal GHD ones (with an adaptor) and they didn't heat up. You can't imagine the problems I'm having trying to source something in the UK. At the moment I can find two brands being sold over here Chi (@ $167 plus delivery) and HAI Stik dual voltage (@ $150 plus postage). I really wish there were power outlets in the cabins that would accept British appliances, because this is a nightmare.

Maybe you could just purchase a converter/transformer to use with your 220 appliance. You may also need an adapter. Here's one site where you can get them.

http://www.220-electronics.com/Transformers/lttrans/prod.html

Posters above have said that the Golden, the Diamond and the Royal all have dual voltage (110 and 220) outlets. However, in three calls to Princess, I have been told consistently that only 110 outlets are available on any Princess ship.

Who's telling it like it is?? (Just returned from another cruiseline and dual voltage was available, so I'm open to the idea that Princess has both, but the customer service reps don't have that information.)

I just got off the Diamond and didn't see any 220 volt. According to the cruise answer book each room is equipped with 110 volt, 60 cycle alternating current with standard US fitting plugs.

goforfun,

Hello, ourlol,

I can appreciate your quandary. I just did a Google search on your behalf and discovered so many different straighteners (and different opinions about them) that I wouldn't presume to suggest one to you. I have the opposite problem and need a few waves in my hair.

My thought is to do a Google search and see if you find a product from a US source that you like, then call or email to see what it would cost to ship to UK. It does look like the better ones are a little pricey. If you decide to invest, you'll just need to plan lots of trips our way to amortize the expense.

This globe is so small, you'd think we could get it together a little better on things like electric current and outlets--for starters!

:eek: Goforfun,

Believe it or not I did think about buying some straighteners from the States. The ones I've found over here are much cheaper in the USA (isn't that always the way) and even with postage the price is still competitive. However, for items which exceed around $20 (and the straighteners would be) I will have to pay duty/tax on them in the UK. Any savings at that point would be minimal... if any.

Mind you I like the idea of multiple cruises to 'get my monies worth' :D

Cactusrose,

I did look at transformers with an adaptor. Apparently the GHD straighteners that I have are not suitable because of the initial surge of power when they heat up. The only transformer that would work was about the size of a shoe box and was very, VERY heavy! Think along the lines of an industrial transformer :eek: In fact I wrote to one company that make transformers. This is what they said:

The GHD straighteners really need a 200W transformer to ensure they won't cause an overload and burn it out. Unfortunately the 200W transformers are really too large to be practical for travelling (they weigh 4Kgs!). You might be best to get another make of straightener for travelling. Sorry I can't offer you a better solution.

Aaarrrggghhhh!! ;)

Laura

:eek: Goforfun,

Believe it or not I did think about buying some straighteners from the States. The ones I've found over here are much cheaper in the USA (isn't that always the way) and even with postage the price is still competitive. However, for items which exceed around $20 (and the straighteners would be) I will have to pay duty/tax on them in the UK. Any savings at that point would be minimal... if any.

;)

What you need to do is find a friend in the US to buy the hair straightener that you want. Then you buy them something from where you are of equal value for them. You could then ship them to each other as a 'gift'. :)

Archived