travel insurance

Darrel223

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Many misunderstand the policy cover relating to non travelling relatives.  Very few policies actually offer to pay out if you cancel due to a non travelling relative becoming ill, as if the sick person already has a known illness it is classed as a pre existing condition and therefore companies do not pay out in those circumstances.  The type of person you mention would fall into that category unfortunately.

It is a very grey area but it is not new.

Out of interest I've just done a quick bit of research.  There are a few companies who may offer this cover if you declare the person's illness as pre existing and in most cases provide a doctor's letter stating the condition is stable and not life threatening at the time you buy the policy. The general consensus is these are expensive policies though.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Many misunderstand the policy cover relating to non travelling relatives.  Very few policies actually offer to pay out if you cancel due to a non travelling relative becoming ill, as if the sick person already has a known illness it is classed as a pre existing condition and therefore companies do not pay out in those circumstances.  The type of person you mention would fall into that category unfortunately.

It is a very grey area but it is not new.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Out of interest I've just done a quick bit of research.  There are a few companies who may offer this cover if you declare the person's illness as pre existing and in most cases provide a doctor's letter stating the condition is stable and not life threatening at the time you buy the policy. The general consensus is these are expensive policies though.

Thanks,

As mentioned in my original post I am not affected as my parents and in-laws are long gone. What concerned me was previous reports on CC that when people phoned to notify of conditions or diagnosis their policies were often promptly cancelled. I suppose/hope that if that was the case the policy could be continued providing that cover was excluded from any claim involving the said person? or play safe not mentioning any relatives and be aware that cancellation involving them was not covered.

2 hours ago, Bill Y said:

Thanks,

As mentioned in my original post I am not affected as my parents and in-laws are long gone. What concerned me was previous reports on CC that when people phoned to notify of conditions or diagnosis their policies were often promptly cancelled. I suppose/hope that if that was the case the policy could be continued providing that cover was excluded from any claim involving the said person? or play safe not mentioning any relatives and be aware that cancellation involving them was not covered.

It is entirely up to an individual if they want to discuss a third party's health, however given that it is a very private matter realistically most people wouldn't be party to that information without sitting down with the person and having a pretty embarrassing conversation.

I think your final sentence is what most people do and so long as people are aware of the situation they can make a decision based on their personal circumstances.