National Express luggage

The National Express website says "All customers have a luggage allowance of: 1 x large suitcase (up to 20 kg) and 1 x piece of soft hand luggage that must fit in the overhead rack or under the seat. To ensure all customers are able to travel with their basic luggage allowance, luggage will be checked when boarding the vehicle. Excess luggage is subject to availability on the day of travel and is not guaranteed. If there is space you will be charged for excess luggage." 

Airlines allow a carry-on in addition to the NE allowance. What are the chances that there would be no availability for that extra piece of luggage? If no availability, what are other options? We would have already paid extra for luggage at time of booking.Thanks.

If was are talking out of Dublin, I would believe that most people will have their primary bag and a smalller roll-on.  There are also busses leaving quite often which may give you some leeway on getting on one that is less crowded and less concerned about the luggage.  We will be in Dublin on Saturday early.   We shall see as we have both a carryon and a large bag each.

I used National Express from Heathrow to Southhampton and had no problems with luggage at all.  I checked my large piece of luggage and then took my under the seat carryon with me on board.  There was no one sitting next me so I just put it on the seat but if the bus was full it would have gone under the seat.

27 minutes ago, robin13 said:

I used National Express from Heathrow to Southhampton and had no problems with luggage at all.  I checked my large piece of luggage and then took my under the seat carryon with me on board.  There was no one sitting next me so I just put it on the seat but if the bus was full it would have gone under the seat.

Hi Robin,

Same itinerary for us, but each of us would have a 3rd piece of luggage (the airplane overhead piece) also.

National Express allow you to pre-book an extra suitcase for an additional fee. Yes, it's an annoyance, but at least you will get all your luggage onto the coach, guaranteed.

We have travelled London-> Southampton several times with 20KG suitcase, roll-on and backpack each and never yet encountered any issues, although I do tend to pay extra for the roll-on, 'just in case'.

https://www.journeyintodarkness.co.uk/national-express-to-southampton-cruise-terminal

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2024 at 4:45 PM, blloyd78 said:

Thanks! I hope you found it useful.

In your experiences with National Coach has there ever been a journey where it is over sold (ie no seating available) Would paying the extra "seat reservation" fee resolve this issue. Our only experience was 2022 from LHR to Southampton, we purchased tickets online well before the trip and some people were not able to get on the bus (not sure if they had purchased tickets or just showed up to the boarding platform). Just trying to avoid a travel snag.

4 hours ago, blloyd78 said:

If you pre-book your ticket, your seat is guaranteed. This screenshot is from the National Express website: image.png.d27a9910e88f5e0cf298fe4b838f7966.png

Is your luggage above the standard allotment (one suitcase and one personal item) guaranteed also if you have paid the additional luggage fee? Thanks.

I was always under the impression that additional hold space was carefully controlled to ensure sales could never exceed availability. However, I found this buried in the Terms & Conditions: 

image.thumb.png.20699d35aef25d40fa06bddb929494c6.png

I should note that I have never seen the hold completely full, even when all the seats are occupied. The driver does have options to maximise space; he could double-stack luggage for instance. I believe he can also load extra cases on the opposite side of the coach if required.

Hope this helps.

14 minutes ago, blloyd78 said:

I was always under the impression that additional hold space was carefully controlled to ensure sales could never exceed availability. However, I found this buried in the Terms & Conditions: 

image.thumb.png.20699d35aef25d40fa06bddb929494c6.png

I should note that I have never seen the hold completely full, even when all the seats are occupied. The driver does have options to maximise space; he could double-stack luggage for instance. I believe he can also load extra cases on the opposite side of the coach if required.

Hope this helps.

I think those terms are just to protect the carrier in the extremely rare event of being unable to include all excess luggage because it would take the vehicle over it's legal gross weight. Luggage locker space isn't an issue.

Until a year or two ago the standard allowance was TWO x 20kg cases plus hand luggage per person. 

I don't know whether the reduction to a single 20kg case per person was to earn the operator more money, or to avoid  the risk of a coach reaching / exceeding its legal gross weight 

But it means that there's now far more leeway for excess luggage on National Express coaches.🙂

Touring coaches set a limit of just one 20kg case + hand-luggage per passenger, and no option to pay for more. That's because a full coach + luggage takes the coach close to it's legal max vehicle weight. 

Nat Express coaches to Southampton often have a high proportion of cruisers, but they also have folk with no luggage and local residents who stick to airlines' luggage allowances.

I've not heard of any instance when pre-booked excess luggage couldn't be carried on the same coach as its owner.

Cruisers tend to take extra luggage and cruiseline-sponsored transfer coaches effectively have no luggage limitations.

But even though coaches generally have 46 to 50 seats, they allow enough coaches for  each coach to carry only 30 to 36 passengers plus luggage. Beyond that they face both weight & luggage locker limitations.

(btw, as mentioned in many many Nat Express threads on CC, whilst airlines always weigh luggage, that's not the case with Nat Express.

Drivers can pretty accurately weigh bags by hand but "20kg" is not strictly enforced by them. If you stick to your airline allowance - 21kg, 23kg, even 25k - you'll have no problem.) 

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

John  we are using Blackberry  dos this drivers expect to be tipped do you recommend?

whats the normal ?TIA 

That all kinda depends how well you can hide your North American accent 😉😄

Your countrymen have provided a rod for your back, your driver will be anticipating a tip

For a drive of any distance most folk tip a driver who has looked after his car and been prompt, driven courteously and been friendly & helpful. 

But, as @blloyd78 mentioned, not at US levels.

We generally tip £5 for an airport run, some might tip £10, some don't tip at all & there's no recrimination.

It's entirely up to you.

JB 🙂