Merida - Shore Excursions From Progresso?

A couple of cruise lines including Carnival & Royal Caribbean show Progresso/Merida or list Merida on their itinerary when the ahip actually docks in Progresso. Wondering why there aren't many posts regarding Merida (at least on the first few pages listing these places under Ports of Call boards)?  We have almost driven to Merida a couple of times when staying in Cancun as I've heard it has a very nice colonial section. Do these cruise lines offer shore excursions to Merida from Progresso for plain ol' sightseeing? Of has anyone reading this been to Merida on an independdnt excursion there?   If the answer is yes to either, what did you think of Merida? 

Thanks for any input!

• We winter in the village of Chicxulub Puerto near Progreso.  We go to Merida at least once a week, and usually into the center of the city.  For a first time visitor I would try to find a guided tour of the center of the city.  I can recommend a licensed private guide who will work with you on a day trip.  A guide will cost you more, but will give you an introduction to an extraordinary city.  
  •  

My email is:  wisriver2322 at gmail dot com

Thank you so much for the advice and recommendation. I may contact you later on if we do end up going to Progresdo. I appreciate you taking the time to share the information.

Edited by mlbcruiser

On 9/14/2024 at 12:30 AM, mlbcruiser said:

A couple of cruise lines including Carnival & Royal Caribbean show Progresso/Merida or list Merida on their itinerary when the ahip actually docks in Progresso. Wondering why there aren't many posts regarding Merida (at least on the first few pages listing these places under Ports of Call boards)?  We have almost driven to Merida a couple of times when staying in Cancun as I've heard it has a very nice colonial section. Do these cruise lines offer shore excursions to Merida from Progresso for plain ol' sightseeing? Of has anyone reading this been to Merida on an independdnt excursion there?   If the answer is yes to either, what did you think of Merida? 

Thanks for any input!

We hired a private driver for 1/2 what Carnival charged for a similar excursion.  See my post for details on ours but he can do whatever you are interested in.