Hiroshima Port

monkey@cruise

Since Hiroshima Port Ujina Foreign Trade Wharf had elongated, where most foreign cruise ships will dock at. The terminal has newly built facilities, but  fewer taxis. You can take the port shuttle to Hiroshimako where more taxis are available.

Access from Itsukaichi Wharf:
Port shuttle drop off at Itsukaichi Station.

image.png.c25e92fabc431871f032344289075a9e.png

The Itsukushima Shrine (Miyajima):
From Itsukaichi station, either a 15min San-yo Line train to Miyajimaguchi Station and 5 min walk to ferry terminal, or 25 min
Miyajima Line tram from Hiroden-Itsukaichi stop to Hiroden-Miyajimaguchi stop and 1 min walk to ferry terminal. Ferry crossing is 10 min.

Atomic Bomb Dome/Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park/Hondori Shopping Arcade:
From Itsukaichi station, a 35min Miyajima Line tram from Hiroden-Itsukaichi stop to Genbaku Dome-Mae stop.

From Itsukushima Shrine (Miyajima) to Atomic Bomb Dome/Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park/Hondori Shopping Arcade:
1. High speed ferry (operation depend on tide level) https://www.aqua-net-h.co.jp/en/heritage/schedule.html
2. Ferry to Miyajimaguchi Ferry Terminal, 5 min walk to Miyajimaguchi Station, a 22min San-yo Line train to Yokogawa Station, transfer to
   Yokogawa Station tram stop, a 11min Hiroshima Tram Line #7 to Genbaku Dome-Mae stop.

Access from Ujina Foreign Trade Wharf:
Port shuttle drop off at Hiroshimako SKK Ferry Pier.

image.png.22f9f2607bf68b410636a0adac5ae4e7.png

The Itsukushima Shrine (Miyajima):
Miyajima — Hiroshima high speed ferry  35 min, https://setonaikaikisen.co.jp/language/en/highspeedship/

Atomic Bomb Dome/Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park/Hondori Shopping Arcade:
From Hiroshimako stop, a 35min Hiroshima Tram Line #7 to Genbaku Dome-Mae stop.

From Itsukushima Shrine (Miyajima) to Atomic Bomb Dome/Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park/Hondori Shopping Arcade:
1. High speed ferry (operation depend on tide level) https://www.aqua-net-h.co.jp/en/heritage/schedule.html
2. Ferry to Miyajimaguchi Ferry Terminal, 5 min walk to Miyajimaguchi Station, a 22min San-yo Line train to Yokogawa Station, transfer to
   Yokogawa Station tram stop, a 11min Hiroshima Tram Line #7 to Genbaku Dome-Mae stop.

Anyone who wish to maximize time for Miyajima and Peace Park (access from Ujina)
Taxi ride from Hiroshimako to Itsukaichi Station, 20min  fare ¥4200  (included toll), for 30-45 min additional time.

If the ship dock at 1:00pm, sunset is around 6pm and Peace Park closes at 7:00pm (last admission is 6:30pm) 

• Thanks 7

Special notes for cruisers who will be onboard Celebrity Millennium and will be dock at Hiroshima Ujina Wharf at 1:00pm.

1. The earliest high speed ferry departure from Hiroshimako wharf is 2:25pm, and arrives Miyajima at 3:05pm. The ferry fare is ¥2200/pp. Taking a taxi from Ujina Wharf or Hiroshimako wharf to Itsukaichi Station, though taxi fare is ¥4200-¥4400 (included toll fee), plus
¥200 train fare to Miyajimaguchi Station, ferry crossing is ¥200/pp, for extra ¥800 expense, you will be in Miyajima between 2:15pm - 2:30pm, instead 3:05pm. Do expect meeting Celebrity Shore Excursion groups on the ferry.

2. Schedule depart Miyajima no later than 4:30pm, if Aqua ferry not operating due to tide level, then, ferry, train and tram to Genbaku Dome-Mae stop. Attend Peace Park Memorial Museum before 6:00pm, so you can complete your tour around 7:00pm.

3. Return to Hiroshimako wharf shuttle stop is very easy, take tram either #1 or #7 (bound Hiroshimako) from Hondōri stop.

Most taxi drivers do not understand English. Itsukaichi Station in Japanese, just show the driver.

Itsukaichi Station

五日市駅

1 hour ago, stefanny28 said:

Thank you again.

We'll follow your advices for Hiroshima- Miyajima

On September 5th, ship arrived 15 min earlier and we took the 1st shuttle to Hiroshimako pier, however, the earliest high speed ferry to Miyajima was 2:25pm departure, so I suggested other cruisers taking taxi to Itsukaichi Station to have more time in Miyajima. I got 10 followers and I had Itsukaichi Station printed in Japanese, no problem for the taxi drivers, we reached  Miyajimaguchi Ferry Terminal around 2:10pm, and met 3 Celebrity shore excursion groups on the ferry. Because we shared the taxi, average out ¥1500/pp. The drawback is making 3 transfers.

Using public toilets in Miyajima will be a challenge because so many tourists, if you go to Tourist Center 2nd floor (also toilets on ground floor) is the meeting area, no line up for the toilets.

Overall, cost us  ¥2500/pp to do Miyajima and Hiroshima Peace Park on your own. Sunset was 6:00pm, so did the Museum part when getting dark. Took 35 min tram ride from Hondōri stop back to Hiroshimako shuttle stop, then 5 min ride to Ujina pier.

If you like Oyster curry bun, try one at Big Set (costs ¥600), located 500 feet from Miyajima ferry terminal, close to the Itsukushima Monument.

image.thumb.png.05ccf441e148376647907a5db9c4f39a.png

2 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

On September 5th, ship arrived 15 min earlier and we took the 1st shuttle to Hiroshimako pier, however, the earliest high speed ferry to Miyajima was 2:25pm departure, so I suggested other cruisers taking taxi to Itsukaichi Station to have more time in Miyajima. I got 10 followers and I had Itsukaichi Station printed in Japanese, no problem for the taxi drivers, we reached  Miyajimaguchi Ferry Terminal around 2:10pm, and met 3 Celebrity shore excursion groups on the ferry. Because we shared the taxi, average out ¥1500/pp. The drawback is making 3 transfers.

Using public toilets in Miyajima will be a challenge because so many tourists, if you go to Tourist Center 2nd floor (also toilets on ground floor) is the meeting area, no line up for the toilets.

Overall, cost us  ¥2500/pp to do Miyajima and Hiroshima Peace Park on your own. Sunset was 6:00pm, so did the Museum part when getting dark. Took 35 min tram ride from Hondōri stop back to Hiroshimako shuttle stop, then 5 min ride to Ujina pier.

If you like Oyster curry bun, try one at Big Set (costs ¥600), located 500 feet from Miyajima ferry terminal, close to the Itsukushima Monument.

image.thumb.png.05ccf441e148376647907a5db9c4f39a.png

Thank you so much. I bookmarked this thread so I can have easy access to all this great informations.

I have never had an oyster curry bun before but I will try it for sure.

2 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

Thank you so much. I bookmarked this thread so I can have easy access to all this great informations.

I have never had an oyster curry bun before but I will try it for sure.

From TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g1022438-d20325645-r939188194-Big_Set_Miyajima_Honten-Hatsukaichi_Hiroshima_Prefecture_Chugoku.html

Three famous food in Hiroshima: Okonomiyaki, oyster and eel.

I also had an oyster set lunch in Miyajima.

If you like other port's information, I can also post it.

On 9/19/2024 at 6:35 PM, monkey@cruise said:

From TripAdvisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g1022438-d20325645-r939188194-Big_Set_Miyajima_Honten-Hatsukaichi_Hiroshima_Prefecture_Chugoku.html

Please post information from your other port stops and thank you so much for sharing this information. 

On 9/19/2024 at 9:35 PM, monkey@cruise said:

From TripAdvisor:

@monkey@cruise

If you can give me some ideas for Kochi, it would be great.

I haven't find much information about this port and am at loss as what we can do/see.

Thank you so much.

Just now, stefanny28 said:

@monkey@cruise

I haven't find much information about this port and am at loss as what we can do/see.

Thank you so much.

I know that there have been tons of information about Osaka & Kyoto but I would love to have them again.

I love the way you give the informations in a very organized manner which makes it easier to understand and follow.

Our ship will be docking in Osaka overnight. We were planning to go to Kyoto the first day and visit Osaka the 2nd day.

1/Can you please how to go from Osaka Tempozan Terminal to Kyoto by train (either regular or bullet train)?

2/ And what will be a logical itinerary to see most tourist sites in Kyoto by using public

transport ? Golden Pavillion, Ryoanji temple, Fushimi-Inari Shrine, Nishiki Food market.

3/ Should we stay in Osaka the 2nd day or go to Nara?

4/ Osaka tourist sites: Osaka castle, Dotonbori district, what else?

5/ How to go from Tempozan terminal to Nara by punlci transport?

Sorry to ask so many questions but you have been so helpful on CC.

Thanks

15 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

@monkey@cruise

Thank you so much.

Kochi:

Cruise ships dock at Port of Kochi Terminal, located 6 miles south of city center. In general, Celebrity provides FREE port shuttle drop off at Harimayabashi Tourist Bus Terminal (25-30 min ride). Kochi is still a cash society city, most merchants don't accept foreign credit cards and is a treasure hunt to find an ATM. 

Map of Kochi: https://welcome-kochi.jp/pamphlet/50981.pdf 

Kochi city area is small and can do your own self-guided walk, or connect with Kochi SGG (Goodwill Guide Club) https://kochisgg-english.mystrikingly.com/ for a free guide (you pay guide's lunch and transport expenses, plus admin fee).

If you like doing HOHO, ride the MY-YU bus: https://visitkochijapan.com/en/usefuls/MY-YU
The nearest ticket sales location: Tosaden Kotsu Harimayabashi Service Center, 400 feet from port shuttle drop off.

image.png.267b7048c4635e4345c939655aa7a323.png

Things to do in Kochi:
1. Makino Botanical Garden - Hilltop garden with a tropical conservatory.
2. Chikurinji Temple - shrine along the Shikoku pilgrimage route.
3. Harimayabashi red bridge - an overarted attraction, a bridge built on still water. A 19th-century monk was caught buying a gift for a forbidden lover.
4. Harimaya Bridge Marionette Clock - The karakuri clock here plays for 8 minutes every hour from 9am to 9pm.
5. Hirome Market - indoor marketplace featuring restaurants & multiple vendors of street food & souvenirs.    Myojinmaru - This store serve famous bonito grilled on fire!
6. Kochi Castle - a small castle built on a small hill, not suitable for mobility issues visitors.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

I know that there have been tons of information about Osaka & Kyoto but I would love to have them again.

I love the way you give the informations in a very organized manner which makes it easier to understand and follow.

Our ship will be docking in Osaka overnight. We were planning to go to Kyoto the first day and visit Osaka the 2nd day.

1/Can you please how to go from Osaka Tempozan Terminal to Kyoto by train (either regular or bullet train)?

2/ And what will be a logical itinerary to see most tourist sites in Kyoto by using public

transport ? Golden Pavillion, Ryoanji temple, Fushimi-Inari Shrine, Nishiki Food market.

4/ Osaka tourist sites: Osaka castle, Dotonbori district, what else?

Sorry to ask so many questions but you have been so helpful on CC.

Thanks

I was in Kyoto over a week in early September. The typhoon shutdown Shinkansen operation and I could not board the Mille in Yokohama, so did a downline request and boarded the ship at Kobe in Day 2. Actually embarked the ship at Kobe terminal is much easier than Yokohama  Osanbashi, because metro station is 300 feet from Kobe Cruise Terminal entrance. Kyoto is overtourism and traffic is horrible. Long lines for taxis, and Kyoto now banning large suitcases or carrybag onto buses. You will see many tourists rolling carryon to tourist attractions or on public transportation instead paying 400 yen to store in luggage lockers.

Kinkaku-ji, Ryoan-ji, Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, Tenryu-ji, Sagano.. located in Kyoto northwest where Kiyomizu-dera, Gion, Fushimi Inari... are at the southeast. Frankly, Kinkaku-ji (a small pavilion covered in gold leaf), Ryoan-ji (a small rock garden for Zen) and Arashiyama Bamboo Forest are for photoshoot.

Because your time constraint, taxi from Tempozan Terminal to Shin-Osaka station (10 mi), (by metro will be a 40 min travel) where you have three options on train travel to Kyoto: Tokaido-Sanyo Line ¥580   25 min; Haruka ¥2,070  25 min; or Shinkansen ¥1450 (non-reserved seat) 13 min.

You either do the northwest attractions or the southeast ones. Nishiki Food market is now a tourist trap, you can visit food markets in Osaka. 

If you have more than 6 hours and ship does not leave before 3pm, then can go to Nara on public transport.

4/Osaka tourist sites: Osaka castle, Dotonbori district, what else?
Namba, Tsūtenkaku, Shinsaibashi-Suji Shopping Street, Kuromon Nakagawa and Sengyo Kawasaki Seafood markets (another tourist traps)

From Tempozan terminal walk to Osakako station, take Chuo Line to Ikoma Station, transfer to adjacent platform for Kintetsu-Nara Line to Kintetsu-Nara Station, ¥960  60 min.

On 9/21/2024 at 5:22 PM, stefanny28 said:

@monkey@cruise

Thank you so much.

We were recently in Kochi in March. Wonderful city, one of my favorite stops, even in the pouring rain.

We took a taxi from the port to Kochi Castle (approx $30 USD, but we had 3 people in our group), which is one of the few remaining samurai castles in Japan. It's a bit of an uphill hike to the castle itself from the park entrance, but we did it slowly (my mother walks with a cane, and with some arm support in the steeper sections, was able to navigate quite well.) and stopped in all the little gardens along the way. There is a free public restroom in one of the cherry blossom groves. If you pay the entrance fee for the castle (I think it was $8 USD per person?), you can climb all the way up to the top of the tower-- beware the ladders, but it was a beautiful view.

After the castle we walked to Hirome Market and had a leisurely lunch (wagyu beef for $14USD, fresh sushi for $5 USD, an incredible yuzu drink for $2 USD!) and then strolled the shopping arcade right outside the market on our way to Harimaya Bridge. There's a beautiful little water feature, a small shrine, and some shops around there too.

It was pouring heavy rain by then, so we took another taxi back to the port. It was quite the scenic drive during cherry blossom season, with pink splashes all over the hills and mountains. If the weather hadn't been as terrible as it was, we had plans to visit the botanical garden as well, which is closer to the port than the castle area. The port itself had a little vendor fair for us, with local souvenirs, foods, etc, similar to what you can find in Hirome Market, if you happened to forget something. I bought a citrus jelly pouch (delicious!), a few carved wooden magnets, and some green tea. Hope this all helps.

On 9/22/2024 at 12:06 PM, monkey@cruise said:

Kochi:

Cruise ships dock at Port of Kochi Terminal, located 6 miles south of city center. In general, Celebrity provides FREE port shuttle drop off at Harimayabashi Tourist Bus Terminal (25-30 min ride). Kochi is still a cash society city, most merchants don't accept foreign credit cards and is a treasure hunt to find an ATM. 

Map of Kochi: https://welcome-kochi.jp/pamphlet/50981.pdf 

Kochi city area is small and can do your own self-guided walk, or connect with Kochi SGG (Goodwill Guide Club) https://kochisgg-english.mystrikingly.com/ for a free guide (you pay guide's lunch and transport expenses, plus admin fee).

If you like doing HOHO, ride the MY-YU bus: https://visitkochijapan.com/en/usefuls/MY-YU
The nearest ticket sales location: Tosaden Kotsu Harimayabashi Service Center, 400 feet from port shuttle drop off.

image.png.267b7048c4635e4345c939655aa7a323.png

Things to do in Kochi:
1. Makino Botanical Garden - Hilltop garden with a tropical conservatory.
2. Chikurinji Temple - shrine along the Shikoku pilgrimage route.
3. Harimayabashi red bridge - an overarted attraction, a bridge built on still water. A 19th-century monk was caught buying a gift for a forbidden lover.
4. Harimaya Bridge Marionette Clock - The karakuri clock here plays for 8 minutes every hour from 9am to 9pm.
5. Hirome Market - indoor marketplace featuring restaurants & multiple vendors of street food & souvenirs.    Myojinmaru - This store serve famous bonito grilled on fire!
6. Kochi Castle - a small castle built on a small hill, not suitable for mobility issues visitors.

Thank you so much. I am saving all these suggestions for our September 2025 cruise Korea-Japan.

On 9/22/2024 at 1:38 PM, monkey@cruise said:

I was in Kyoto over a week in early September. The typhoon shutdown Shinkansen operation and I could not board the Mille in Yokohama, so did a downline request and boarded the ship at Kobe in Day 2. Actually embarked the ship at Kobe terminal is much easier than Yokohama  Osanbashi, because metro station is 300 feet from Kobe Cruise Terminal entrance. Kyoto is overtourism and traffic is horrible. Long lines for taxis, and Kyoto now banning large suitcases or carrybag onto buses. You will see many tourists rolling carryon to tourist attractions or on public transportation instead paying 400 yen to store in luggage lockers.

Kinkaku-ji, Ryoan-ji, Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, Tenryu-ji, Sagano.. located in Kyoto northwest where Kiyomizu-dera, Gion, Fushimi Inari... are at the southeast. Frankly, Kinkaku-ji (a small pavilion covered in gold leaf), Ryoan-ji (a small rock garden for Zen) and Arashiyama Bamboo Forest are for photoshoot.

Because your time constraint, taxi from Tempozan Terminal to Shin-Osaka station (10 mi), (by metro will be a 40 min travel) where you have three options on train travel to Kyoto: Tokaido-Sanyo Line ¥580   25 min; Haruka ¥2,070  25 min; or Shinkansen ¥1450 (non-reserved seat) 13 min.

You either do the northwest attractions or the southeast ones. Nishiki Food market is now a tourist trap, you can visit food markets in Osaka. 

If you have more than 6 hours and ship does not leave before 3pm, then can go to Nara on public transport.

4/Osaka tourist sites: Osaka castle, Dotonbori district, what else?
Namba, Tsūtenkaku, Shinsaibashi-Suji Shopping Street, Kuromon Nakagawa and Sengyo Kawasaki Seafood markets (another tourist traps)

From Tempozan terminal walk to Osakako station, take Chuo Line to Ikoma Station, transfer to adjacent platform for Kintetsu-Nara Line to Kintetsu-Nara Station, ¥960  60 min.

I hope that we'll have time to see all this. Nara seems to be an amazing place.

Thank you.

21 hours ago, thehowlingroad said:

We were recently in Kochi in March. Wonderful city, one of my favorite stops, even in the pouring rain.

We took a taxi from the port to Kochi Castle (approx $30 USD, but we had 3 people in our group), which is one of the few remaining samurai castles in Japan. It's a bit of an uphill hike to the castle itself from the park entrance, but we did it slowly (my mother walks with a cane, and with some arm support in the steeper sections, was able to navigate quite well.) and stopped in all the little gardens along the way. There is a free public restroom in one of the cherry blossom groves. If you pay the entrance fee for the castle (I think it was $8 USD per person?), you can climb all the way up to the top of the tower-- beware the ladders, but it was a beautiful view.

After the castle we walked to Hirome Market and had a leisurely lunch (wagyu beef for $14USD, fresh sushi for $5 USD, an incredible yuzu drink for $2 USD!) and then strolled the shopping arcade right outside the market on our way to Harimaya Bridge. There's a beautiful little water feature, a small shrine, and some shops around there too.

It was pouring heavy rain by then, so we took another taxi back to the port. It was quite the scenic drive during cherry blossom season, with pink splashes all over the hills and mountains. If the weather hadn't been as terrible as it was, we had plans to visit the botanical garden as well, which is closer to the port than the castle area. The port itself had a little vendor fair for us, with local souvenirs, foods, etc, similar to what you can find in Hirome Market, if you happened to forget something. I bought a citrus jelly pouch (delicious!), a few carved wooden magnets, and some green tea. Hope this all helps.

Thank you for sharing. I didn;t know anything about Kochi and now I am getting excited to be visiting this port soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stefanny28 said:

Thank you for sharing. I didn;t know anything about Kochi and now I am getting excited to be visiting this port soon.

I wrote my post from a different laptop than usual, but now I can attach some photos! But enjoy your time there; I thought it was a great "off the beaten path" port and the locals, especially at Hirome Market where they get a lot of tourists, were very kind and helpful.

IMG_6477.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6610.jpeg

1 hour ago, stefanny28 said:

Thank you so much. I am saving all these suggestions for our September 2025 cruise Korea-Japan.

Though not many attractions in Kochi, but we had a city culture walking tour by Kochi SGG.
They met us at the Harimayabashi Tourist Bus Terminal, we visited Kochi Yosakoi Information Excange Center (across the bus terminal) where we learnt about the Kochi folkdance., then to Harimaya intersection, where we visit an underground passage with cultural displays; watched the Harimaya Bridge Marionette Clock show; group photo at the Harimayabashi (a nice souvenir store right next to the bridge); Harimaya Bridge Park. Then tram ride to the Yosakoiinari Shrine, where our guides showed us how to behave and worship at shrines in Japan. We walked to Hirome Market for lunch and most of us had the Kochi special Kochi - straw-grilled bonito. After lunch we hiked uphill to Kochi Castle. While its size might not be as impressive as the better known castles of Japan, Kochi Castle is one of the 12 castles that escaped World War II without having to be re-built. But walkway stairs were made by stacking large rocks next to each other. The rocks were not smooth, not in a uniform size or width and they were slippery when wet. No handrails were provided, so they were a bit tricky; I can’t imagine having any mobility issues and trying to use them. After the castle tour, we had another Kochi special - Yuzu ice cream. We walked back to the shuttle terminal through the arcades, where we picked up souvenir, Kochi local snacks along the way (one mile distance). 

IMG_5156.thumb.JPG.3f090ba2bdd4aa09e620e98203ab78d4.JPG

I will meet my SGG guide (Junko) again in October 2025 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 11:38 PM, thehowlingroad said:

I wrote my post from a different laptop than usual, but now I can attach some photos! But enjoy your time there; I thought it was a great "off the beaten path" port and the locals, especially at Hirome Market where they get a lot of tourists, were very kind and helpful.

IMG_6477.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6610.jpeg

Beautiful photos. Thank you so much for sharing.

On 9/24/2024 at 12:32 AM, monkey@cruise said:

Though not many attractions in Kochi, but we had a city culture walking tour by Kochi SGG.
They met us at the Harimayabashi Tourist Bus Terminal, we visited Kochi Yosakoi Information Excange Center (across the bus terminal) where we learnt about the Kochi folkdance., then to Harimaya intersection, where we visit an underground passage with cultural displays; watched the Harimaya Bridge Marionette Clock show; group photo at the Harimayabashi (a nice souvenir store right next to the bridge); Harimaya Bridge Park. Then tram ride to the Yosakoiinari Shrine, where our guides showed us how to behave and worship at shrines in Japan. We walked to Hirome Market for lunch and most of us had the Kochi special Kochi - straw-grilled bonito. After lunch we hiked uphill to Kochi Castle. While its size might not be as impressive as the better known castles of Japan, Kochi Castle is one of the 12 castles that escaped World War II without having to be re-built. But walkway stairs were made by stacking large rocks next to each other. The rocks were not smooth, not in a uniform size or width and they were slippery when wet. No handrails were provided, so they were a bit tricky; I can’t imagine having any mobility issues and trying to use them. After the castle tour, we had another Kochi special - Yuzu ice cream. We walked back to the shuttle terminal through the arcades, where we picked up souvenir, Kochi local snacks along the way (one mile distance). 

IMG_5156.thumb.JPG.3f090ba2bdd4aa09e620e98203ab78d4.JPG

I will meet my SGG guide (Junko) again in October 2025 

Can you tell me more about your experience with the SGG guide?

How far ahead do you need to get in touch with them? Do you get to contact them before the trip to work out an itinerary? Will they be insulted if we want to tip or give a donation at the end of the tour? Do we cover their transportation and meal?

Thank you.

13 hours ago, stefanny28 said:

Can you tell me more about your experience with the SGG guide?

How far ahead do you need to get in touch with them? Do you get to contact them before the trip to work out an itinerary? Will they be insulted if we want to tip or give a donation at the end of the tour? Do we cover their transportation and meal?

Thank you.

SGG guides are volunteers not professional, there are pros and cons using SGG services. I have used SGG on several ports, from other group members' feedback, everyone loves Junko as our guide in Kochi, she is a grandma and speaks good English. Usually I contact the SGG two to three months ahead, you have to provide your arrival date, number of people, if possible your tentative itinerary. If your request is accepted, a SGG guide will contact you to work out the details. SGG usually either accept donation or charge administrated fees as their operation income, you pay for their transportation and meals (they use public transportation not limo service). Though the guide service was free, I brought them Canadian Maple syrup as gift. also my group tipped the guide by followed the Japanese way:

We put money inside an envelope and followed the Japanese ritual of using both hands to present it. Don’t be surprised if the envelope is refused up to three times before being quietly accepted. This should be done discreetly in private to avoid the recipient feeling any embarrassment when accepting it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

SGG guides are volunteers not professional, there are pros and cons using SGG services. I have used SGG on several ports, from other group members' feedback, everyone loves Junko as our guide in Kochi, she is a grandma and speaks good English. Usually I contact the SGG two to three months ahead, you have to provide your arrival date, number of people, if possible your tentative itinerary. If your request is accepted, a SGG guide will contact you to work out the details. SGG usually either accept donation or charge administrated fees as their operation income, you pay for their transportation and meals (they use public transportation not limo service). Though the guide service was free, I brought them Canadian Maple syrup as gift. also my group tipped the guide by followed the Japanese way:

We put money inside an envelope and followed the Japanese ritual of using both hands to present it. Don’t be surprised if the envelope is refused up to three times before being quietly accepted. This should be done discreetly in private to avoid the recipient feeling any embarrassment when accepting it.

Thank you for these informations. I will wait closer to my cruise date to get in touch with them.