Infinity/ SF pier questions

Lorabelle

I'm trying to make reservations for a shuttle to the dock from Oakland airport. How can I find out what pier the Infinity will be on for a particular sailing?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for transportation to and from the Oakland airport?

Lori

Hi Lori,

What cruise are you taking?

I'm taking an Alaskan cruise on Infinity out of SF on May 8, and we'll be leaving from Pier 35. I don't remember how I found the information. But, I'll keep looking. In the meantime, maybe someone else will come along with better info.

How can I find out what pier the Infinity will be on for a particular sailing?

Lori

Hi, Lori - it's not perfect, but check the SF Port Commission's list of ships docking in San Francisco here: http://www.sfport.com/site/uploadedfiles/sfport/maritime_act/2006%20San%20Francisco%20Cruise%20Schedule%209-2-05.pdf

If the Infinity is the only ship in port on a certain day, then it will definitely be at Pier 35, which is north of the Bay Bridge, close to Fisherman's wharf. If there are two or more ships scheduled on a certain day (indicated by an asterisk by the ship's name, plus you can tell from the dates) then depending on their size and whether they're turning around here or just making a port stop one of them will likely be down at Pier 30-32, which is just south of the Bay Bridge in the South Beach area. I don't think you can tell which ship will get "bumped" to Pier 30-32

Trivia note: Pier 30-32 is where the new San Francisco Cruise Ship Terminal is planned, which will FINALLY give San Francisco a world-class cruise facility in a beautiful location to rival Vancouver's Canada Place. It will be able to handle two full-sized cruise ships simultaneously and include shops, restaurants, and a pedestrian promenade. It's scheduled to open in 2008, but I'll believe it when I see it. My office overlooks the site and I can tell you that there's no construction going on yet...

Link to Press Release from 2004 discussing SF cruise terminal: http://www.sfport.com/site/uploadedfiles/sfport/news/2004/news031604.pdf

We'll be on the same cruise then! So, it's Pier 35. Thanks, that'll help. What kind of transportation are you using to get to the Pier? We'll be flying into Oakland just because the times are better for us. Also, and the main reason, Southwest doesn't fly into SF and their rates are the best.

Thanks for the info.

Lori

Brucemcdou,

Thanks for the link. Well, there will be two ships in SF on that date. <sigh> It's never easy is it, lol. If I keep checking this site as the time grows nearer will there be a pier assignment given?

I just need to know where we're going to give that information to the shuttle company. Through Supershuttle it looks as if the rates are the same to each pier. I'm just not sure if they'll squawk if we end up at a different location after reservations are made.

Also, since you live in the area--what type of transportation would you recommend from Oakland to/from the pier? I'm just wondering if a cab would be in the same price range or even just slightly more than a shuttle and much easier.

Lori

The link above is the one I used to use, then lo and behold one day while poking around the internet I found a different one:

Port of San Francisco 2006 Cruise Schedule

Why they have 2 different ones out there is beyond me. The difference with this one is that the actual berth is listed, so you know if you'll be at Pier 35 or not.

In your case the Infinity is scheduled to be at Pier 35, and the Island Princess at Pier 27.

beware - this page took a long time to load today! :)

Hi Lori,

So you're taking the May 8, Alaskan cruise?:cool:

We're driving to SF (believe it or not) from Phoenix. We're staying at the Tuscan Inn for a couple of nights before the cruise. We'll be parking our car at the cruise parking facility. So, I don't know what's the best way to get from the airport - sorry.

I'm sure someone here will be able to offer that info.

Also, if you would like to check out the roll call section on the board, go to Infinity and then our sailing date May 8, you'll see there's quite a few of us sailing on that date. We would love to have you come chat with us, ask your questions, and sign up for the cruise critic party.

Also, if you would like to check out the roll call section on the board, go to Infinity and then our sailing date May 8, you'll see there's quite a few of us sailing on that date. We would love to have you come chat with us, ask your questions, and sign up for the cruise critic party.

Here's a quick link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=194077

We're an odd group, but pretty fun I'd say... :rolleyes: Should be an interesting cruise.

Tom

SharkieRools - thanks for the link! I agree, that's much more useful than the pdf version.

Lori - I'm not sure I'll be of much help regarding options to get from Oakland airport to the pier, as we live in the city so we just take a $10 cab ride from our place to the ship. My assumption, however, is that a cab won't be much more than a shuttle when you're paying X2 for the shuttle, and it would be MUCH more convenient and pleasant. I won't even hazard a guess as to the price. Hopefully others can provide some estimates for the cab fare.

You also may want to browse the web for limo/sedan car services as they provide an even nicer and more professional experience to start off your cruise, but would certainly be more than either a shuttle or taxi. We use Carey limosine to SFO and the cars are new Lincolns or Mercedes and the drivers are very polite and professional. I think it's $99 SFO to the City or reverse, including a gratuity. Oakland airport would probably be comparable.

If you REALLY want to save money AND if you pack lightly AND if you're adventurous, you can take the shuttle from the airport to BART in Oakland, take BART to the Embarcadero station in San Francisco, and either walk, take the F line trolley, or take a taxi to the pier. You will make up in hassle what you'll save in cash, however!;)

If you REALLY want to save money AND if you pack lightly AND if you're adventurous, you can take the shuttle from the airport to BART in Oakland, take BART to the Embarcadero station in San Francisco, and either walk, take the F line trolley, or take a taxi to the pier. You will make up in hassle what you'll save in cash, however!;)

Well, the pack lightly part automatically eliminates that option!! Seriously, though, I love to save a buck when I can, but I'm also all about ease. And that plan sounds a little complicated, lol.

Supershuttle will cost $33 for the two of us. A private sedan is around $75. I'm debating about the two. I haven't found out the cost of a cab ride yet. That may be the option I'll choose if it's in between the two. The ride is short enough that I don't care about having nice transportation. I just need to get there. The shuttle could require additional pickups and drop offs and I don't really want to have to deal with that either.

Lori

Archived