Semi Live Encore Haven to Alaska Sept 22-29

firstmickey

Entertainment is seriously lacking on this ship. We miss Syd Norman’s Pourhouse from the Breakaway!

we started at Haven bar had a cosmo and Dan a Manhattan. Left to go to district brewhouse to hear the piano player. (Alaskan ale for Dan and angry orchard for me). He wasn’t bad but no one was listening to him. Moved to Mojito bar for Latin music ( cocoloco mojito - yum!). It was the most active bar on ship but mostly a wedding party dancing. 
now on deck 15 observation for a duo playing piano ballads and singing very slow ballads. They are very very good but 😴 💤 

Did I say I miss Syd Norman’s? Lol

• Like 1

Following along and enjoying your semi live.   We were on the Encore this past February and we too were disappointed with the entertainment options.   

Did the Encore dock in town in Juneau?

Thank you for sharing your trip and looking forward to the reading the rest of your semi live.

• Like 2

Yes , we docked in town in Juneau. The crew was excited by this because it was close to everything without a shuttle.

presently in Skagway walking in rain rain rain. My 3:1 coat worth every cent! 

waiting to do the brothel tour at Red Onion Saloon at 11am. We have White pass rail and suspension bridge tour at 12:15. 

• Like 1

Skagway has been quite the adventure for us today. As mentioned earlier, we walked to town first. First, I met a shopkeeper in one of the jewelry stores and we talked about football. He wanted an Alaskan team so we tried to come up with a name. We decided on the Alaskan Orcas. 🐳

I took a wrong turn and fell right off the curb in an appalling sprawl on the street. Thankfully no serious injury except to my pride and bruised left hip and a little road rash. I will be feeling that hip tomorrow.

We went to meet our tour group for the White Pass Railway/ Suspension Bridge tour. We got on the train on the first car and had the left hand side of the train car. We make the first stop five mins in and they say that hikers have to get off here. All of a sudden the back of the train car people begin coughing and it spreads up the car to us. It was an uncontrollable cough and people said they had a smell also. It was nauseating and they had to evacuate us off the train car. We are all standing beside the train coughing and miserable and learn that one of the hikers had bear spray that released when he picked up his pack. All I can say is I wouldn’t subject a bear to that!  They determined we couldn’t get back in the car so we had to disburse through the remaining seats available in the next four cars. As you can imagine, no good seats were left. I was quite ill from the spray and a little salty for most of the train ride but I went out on the platform for a while and got some air. Dan stayed out there most of the trip to get pictures. 

my attitude improved with the altitude and fresh air. The sun came out and it was a gorgeous cold crisp day. The views were stunning. 

we boarded a coach bus to the suspension bridge which was terrifying and amazing at the same time. We enjoyed our time there and the ride back was fun with our guide who told stories and jokes. 

I’m happy to be back on the ship. We have Los Lobos tonight for dinner.

oh, and my daughter had to mandatorily evacuate to my home in Florida due to the hurricane so she and my neighbors took care of bringing things in there and making it safe. I’m further inland but we could get wind. 

it’s been a day. I need a good margarita! 
pictures coming soon.

• Like 1

It was our first time at Los Lobos and it did not disappoint. We thought it was one of our best meals we have had so far. The restaurant was pretty empty though. 

I had an outstanding frozen margarita and Dan had mango margarita. 
We started with table side guacamole (delish) and he had seafood coctel which we thought would be ceviche but still yummy. I had a house salad. 
for dinner we both had the fresh catch fish, Branzino. It was excellent!

IMG_1358.thumb.jpeg.32a3838bb65bdbf8c772648947b53059.jpeg

IMG_1360.thumb.jpeg.d68831c9b67ecbd5c4ab67fc121165b2.jpeg

IMG_1361.thumb.jpeg.d1b81d9d1c484659d5823eb0b803449d.jpeg

IMG_1362.thumb.jpeg.82132597db7bcf3ec17cd525a9502b01.jpeg

a side of plantains

IMG_1363.thumb.jpeg.59159dea7f05558dc4afd4d8f2c90aeb.jpeg

for dessert I had the tart which had ancho chili in the chocolate and was so spicy I could eat it so I helped Dan eat his churros!

IMG_1364.thumb.jpeg.cbc67c8c709d3de2889908dd191bb4f8.jpeg

IMG_1365.thumb.jpeg.38f15720b2bb18e882db6afcb19bdc6f.jpeg

• Like 2

We went to the British Invasion Sgt Pepper show at 9:30. They were entertaining. Dan really liked it but I’ve never been a big fan of the Beatles. I think I was just too tired.

Tomorrow is Glacier Bay day and I’m beyond excited! 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2024 at 12:49 AM, firstmickey said:

Entertainment is seriously lacking on this ship. We miss Syd Norman’s Pourhouse from the Breakaway!

we started at Haven bar had a cosmo and Dan a Manhattan. Left to go to district brewhouse to hear the piano player. (Alaskan ale for Dan and angry orchard for me). He wasn’t bad but no one was listening to him. Moved to Mojito bar for Latin music ( cocoloco mojito - yum!). It was the most active bar on ship but mostly a wedding party dancing. 
now on deck 15 observation for a duo playing piano ballads and singing very slow ballads. They are very very good but 😴 💤 

Did I say I miss Syd Norman’s? Lol

15 hours ago, firstmickey said:

Skagway has been quite the adventure for us today. As mentioned earlier, we walked to town first. First, I met a shopkeeper in one of the jewelry stores and we talked about football. He wanted an Alaskan team so we tried to come up with a name. We decided on the Alaskan Orcas. 🐳

I took a wrong turn and fell right off the curb in an appalling sprawl on the street. Thankfully no serious injury except to my pride and bruised left hip and a little road rash. I will be feeling that hip tomorrow.

We went to meet our tour group for the White Pass Railway/ Suspension Bridge tour. We got on the train on the first car and had the left hand side of the train car. We make the first stop five mins in and they say that hikers have to get off here. All of a sudden the back of the train car people begin coughing and it spreads up the car to us. It was an uncontrollable cough and people said they had a smell also. It was nauseating and they had to evacuate us off the train car. We are all standing beside the train coughing and miserable and learn that one of the hikers had bear spray that released when he picked up his pack. All I can say is I wouldn’t subject a bear to that!  They determined we couldn’t get back in the car so we had to disburse through the remaining seats available in the next four cars. As you can imagine, no good seats were left. I was quite ill from the spray and a little salty for most of the train ride but I went out on the platform for a while and got some air. Dan stayed out there most of the trip to get pictures. 

my attitude improved with the altitude and fresh air. The sun came out and it was a gorgeous cold crisp day. The views were stunning. 

we boarded a coach bus to the suspension bridge which was terrifying and amazing at the same time. We enjoyed our time there and the ride back was fun with our guide who told stories and jokes. 

I’m happy to be back on the ship. We have Los Lobos tonight for dinner.

oh, and my daughter had to mandatorily evacuate to my home in Florida due to the hurricane so she and my neighbors took care of bringing things in there and making it safe. I’m further inland but we could get wind. 

it’s been a day. I need a good margarita! 
pictures coming soon.

Sorry to read about your fall and hope you did not feel the effects of it today.

Did you book the train excursion through NCL or direct?   We want to do this same one next June when we are in Skagway and are leaning towards booking directly.

Regarding Los Lobos, my husband and I tried it for the first time this past February and we both decided it was our new favorite specialty restaurant.   We enjoyed it so much we went back the next night after they seated us at the worse table ever for our Cagney's reservation and we walked out.    When we got home, we told our young adult children how wonderful Los Lobos is and they are really going to love it next June.    Then we recently heard the terrible news that the Encore will be doing away with Los Lobos.   

@KittyCruz my tips are these:

fleece leggings or winter tights for under other pants for Glacier Bay or outdoor excursions. I got mine from Amazon. 
3:1 coat with rain jacket. We used the puffy coat too. Baseball cap for under rain hood to keep water off face.

waterproof comfy shoes

for dinners I have seen the gamut from jeans to dresses. Regular dress pants and lightweight sweater or blouse is fine. The ship was warmer closer to Seattle and colder as we progressed. 
easy slip on shoes with socks for going to observation areas. People take their shoes off to lounge around but are supposed to wear aocks.

I bought a strap to attach to my phone so I could take pictures without worry about it falling in the water anywhere. 

@vacation44 thank you. I seem to be ok today!  They are taking out Los Lino’s to make more Cagneys seating. I get that if people are spending money on a specialty restaurant, they probably want Cagneys but I wish they could put a smaller version of it somewhere else.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, firstmickey said:

@KittyCruz my tips are these:

fleece leggings or winter tights for under other pants for Glacier Bay or outdoor excursions. I got mine from Amazon. 
3:1 coat with rain jacket. We used the puffy coat too. Baseball cap for under rain hood to keep water off face.

waterproof comfy shoes

for dinners I have seen the gamut from jeans to dresses. Regular dress pants and lightweight sweater or blouse is fine. The ship was warmer closer to Seattle and colder as we progressed. 
easy slip on shoes with socks for going to observation areas. People take their shoes off to lounge around but are supposed to wear aocks.

I bought a strap to attach to my phone so I could take pictures without worry about it falling in the water anywhere. 

@vacation44 thank you. I seem to be ok today!  They are taking out Los Lino’s to make more Cagneys seating. I get that if people are spending money on a specialty restaurant, they probably want Cagneys but I wish they could put a smaller version of it somewhere else.

@firstmickey  Thank you!   Currently located in central Texas and I am so looking forward to wearing my cable knit tights again as well as a coat, hat and gloves.  I'm adding a ball cap though because I hadn't thought of that.  

Enjoy and hope that your daughter and family dont get hit too hard with Miss Hurricane Helene.

• Like 1

Had a lazy day after glacier watching. 

We went to the Haven for dinner and they surprised us with a cake for our anniversary. 

IMG_1549.thumb.jpeg.cd7e59efb60a5cf3df0724e010f090a5.jpeg

Upon return to our room, we found another surprise!

IMG_7356.thumb.jpeg.34b08543a25698028e2b5480af076056.jpeg

and a second cake

IMG_1560.thumb.jpeg.f198d16a4f7bd7b7d36c6fcf68d86f16.jpeg

• Like 3

Good morning from Ketchikan! Unfortunately, our early morning seaplane through the Misty Fjord

was cancelled due to weather.

Although disappointed, I’d rather safe and on the bright side, we saved money! Lol

WE ended up on the lighthouse, totems, and eagles boat tour. It was a nice little tour in the chilly rain. We did see several eagles and the lighthouse. The captain was a good narrator. We had enough time for a few purchases in the Ward Cove Costco-like terminal,

IMG_1570.thumb.jpeg.2bc11013e6c0cbd16bc6ed4eee249934.jpeg

IMG_1571.thumb.jpeg.8af3359ff0887adc3b16af7f86f6809a.jpeg

IMG_1574.thumb.jpeg.4896f4bf4707794b30b3b5d423f5f80d.jpeg

IMG_1583.thumb.jpeg.ea0c8afe2656b3cddbc661b8e5a11e7b.jpeg

IMG_1586.thumb.jpeg.8c2c01bf2d434575196c27b404e570ff.jpeg

IMG_1589.thumb.jpeg.4a0c01b05ed40aa6080754ab05c93052.jpeg

IMG_1595.thumb.jpeg.ef192af1c7500f920489a84835e05750.jpeg

IMG_1596.thumb.jpeg.d2d77e1b259bd3514e6c51de70ea0d27.jpeg

IMG_1607.thumb.jpeg.78e8f79f8358d33b9ae24b0c274f5b75.jpeg

IMG_1608.thumb.jpeg.f4076679d834869eb773b245980f1b4a.jpeg

• Like 2

Ventured out of the haven bubble for lunch at the Local. It was mediocre But ok. 
chili wings, Reuben and burger. And this Pgh girl did not enjoy the inferior ketchup!

IMG_1609.thumb.jpeg.1573f341b8512105381ac0fd07304043.jpeg

IMG_1610.thumb.jpeg.5f27fe9cb4b0079dcea3e446bc18075f.jpeg

IMG_1611.thumb.jpeg.1d113e9843a6b1a9c36369513e322258.jpeg

IMG_1612.thumb.jpeg.a0105f813eef1b0370122ba77a0a67d8.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firstmickey said:

IMG_1612.thumb.jpeg.a0105f813eef1b0370122ba77a0a67d8.jpeg

From the other side of PA. My husband always comments on if a restaurant has the "proper" ketchup. But I find it funny that there is French's ketchup and Heinz mustard on board. What's up with that? 

• Like 2