Explora or msc yacht club?

steve thfc

20 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Are you a paid YC cheerleader?

Hardly. I am, however, suggesting those who have bones to pick should post their reviews on the MSC board. It is far better if all sides get their 2¢ on the record.

As to my own thoughts regarding Yacht Club, I'm atypical as cruisers go because criteria that others live and die by mean little to me. For example, you used the term, "sub par," to describe YC food. In my case, I'm more interested in the service and ambiance surrounding the dinner than the food itself.

We've always had excellent service from dining room servers and sommeliers. We are always able to enjoy our dinners in a slower and more traditional manner, including such niceties as sorbet intermezzo and a small mignardise to conclude. I can get delicious food of many varieties back home. Excellent dining service of a more traditional variety, however, is not so easy to find.

On the negative side, YC doesn't have much appeal for us in their top suites. No guest bathroom. Dining tables, yes, but no in-room service of the restaurant menu. (Officially, anyway.) No included laundry service, just the full assortment of YC room liquor that is offered as just one bottle for the regular YC cabins. That much hooch is of no use to us unless we can entertain in the suite, but without a guest toilet, we would never do so.

You mentioned the lack of shade. Others have, too. Doesn't bother me one jot because I do not avail myself of the loungers whatsoever, except for one we have added to our balcony by the butler. (Always have a great butler, by the way.) I can spend an afternoon laying on a poolside lounger back home, so I have no interest in doing so on a cruise ship. I want to fill my cruise time with things not so readily available in my day-to-day life. This is why MSC lost significant points with us when they cut the once-per-cruise opera matinee. Granted, it was just an abbreviated production, but it was a form of entertainment that is not readily available back home. (Yes, there are opera companies within reasonable distance from our home, but it's not just across town.)

Ultimately, I forsee YC dropping more of the things that appeal to me, but don't matter to most cruisers. For example, the wonderful choice of international newspapers delivered to your cabin door is a perq we greatly appreciate, but I expect it will get cut eventually. When the few little extras are gone, we'll only cruise in YC just enough to keep the card status intact for the fare discount.

20 hours ago, no1talks said:

Ultimately, I forsee YC dropping more of the things that appeal to me, but don't matter to most cruisers. For example, the wonderful choice of international newspapers delivered to your cabin door is a perq we greatly appreciate, but I expect it will get cut eventually. When the few little extras are gone, we'll only cruise in YC just enough to keep the card status intact for the fare discount.

Newspapers in print are discontinued. You’ll be given a QR code to pull up the paper on your phone 

3 hours ago, LostAtSeaForever said:

Newspapers in print are discontinued. You’ll be given a QR code to pull up the paper on your phone 

Say, @Best Cat Mom,,,

You mentioned in your "Live From" that you and BCD chose the WSJ for your YC newspaper, but I did not see any further mention of it in your narrative.

Did you get a hardcopy hanging from your door each morning, or was it digital access for an electronic device? Thank you, in advance, BCM. 😀